Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this already exists, can someone provide a link?

I had thought of creating a nice small catchcan plumbed to both valve covers. This catchcan will have a baffle inside which will help catch any liquid that shoots right into the can. I'de like to install a reusable filter (like those small EARL filters for the fuel or oil). Then, this all gets plumbed back to the turbo inlet.

The intent is cleaning/replacing the filter at every oil change. You get the added benefit of vacuum before the turbo sucking in blowby, but filtering out any oil particles from entering your intake tract.

Any thoughts? My only two concerns would be how to design the right baffling, and what is the best flowing filter that will catch oil/vapor and NOT clog for at least 3000mi.

·
Misty and Wet
358 Posts
You don't need an oil filter, you haven't got oilflow that is contaminated.
You really need a way to solidify the suspended oil mist without creating a large pressure drop in the airflow. I've got such a setup on my site (follow the supra image)

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil filter would be used to catch oil mist so you don't get any oily residue on the intake track, not to filter any oil.

·
Banned
158 Posts
i couldve sworn I have seen recently on a Supra on the forum. It had a tank in the upper left of the engine bay and had (2) AN lines going from the valve covers to the tank and then to the Turbo Inlet. It was definitly a single turbo car. It looked like some sort of catchcan but it vented back into the intake tract. Maybe it was some sort of filter, I will search for you.

BTW. What is the added benefit?

"You get the added benefit of vacuum before the turbo sucking in blowby, but filtering out any oil particles from entering your intake tract"

How is this a benefit, not arguing the fact, just wondering? Oil loss?

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having vacuum from the turbo aids in sucking blowby from the engine (reducing crankcase pressure). It is initially the reason why you have the PCV for idle, and the other side of the valve cover connected to the turbo inlet for boost. You can air both of these ports, venting them to atmostphere (or putting a filter on the catch can), but then you rely on the crankcase pressure to push out the blowby. The pressure can get quite high, its better to aid in the evacuation of blowby by using some vacuum source (the turbo inlet, your exhaust using Bernouli effect, etc).

If you connect the outlet of the catchcan directly to your turbo inlet, your in great shape. Vaccum generated by the turbo will aid in sucking this blowby from your engine (you can actually make more power by having a certain vacuum in your crankcase, as opposed to crankcase pressure).

The problem is over time, you'll suck in oil vapors. Turbo inlet all the way to your FMIC and intake manifold will be coaked in an oily film. To alleviate that situation, put an inline filter/gauze between the catchcan and the turbo inlet to trap oil/vapor from entering your intake system.

Now you have best of both worlds. Clean intake tract and crankcase vacuum. The other problem I see is if your turbo sucks ALOT of air, you may have too much vacuum where you can actually suck up oil into the turbo. I would think a -12an line may be too large, I don't know specifics. That, and the type of filter/gauze to use...

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
You can get a moroso catch can filter that comes with baffled tube. All you gotta do is custom a catch can weld on the tube and connect that to your intake tube.

Mine is vented out, but would be rounting it back to intake in the future.

John

·
Registered
934 Posts
i have a small fuel filter that does something similar to what your asking. ofcourse im not getting enough oil (so far) to have to dump it but i can see the filter part is all yellowed already.

·
Misty and Wet
358 Posts
I'm not sure about the wisdom of combining both vacuum lines into a single catch tank.

The vacuum before the compressor is much lower potentially than the vacuum in the intake plenum.

·
Inline6Performance
1,482 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats a nifty idea (oil seperator). I'll probably look into those as well.

I'm sure your right, at idle, vaccum is greater in the manifold than in the turbo inlet. You shouldn't be running tons of blowby at idle anywho, this system is more for WOT crankcase pressure release. But, you still get some vacuum at idle form turbo inlet. Not alot, but a small amount. It would be better then simply venting the driver side valve cover to air as most folks do. Dunno..

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
JohnA said:
I'm not sure about the wisdom of combining both vacuum lines into a single catch tank.

The vacuum before the compressor is much lower potentially than the vacuum in the intake plenum.
The valve covers are connected in the middle.. take out your spark plug cover and you will see. How it works is turbo sucks in fumes while accelarating or boosting, while intake side is shut-off by the PVC valve and at idle manifold vacuum will do the work.

Joining both into a catch can and then to turbo inlet will help venting pressure while boosting only.. at idle it'd be just venting into turbo inlet. It should be fine i think.

John

·
Misty and Wet
358 Posts
NUNEZTT said:
...What do you think about something like that?

Mike
It's a mini-catch tank.
The sudden expansion and cooling down of the gases, force a lot of the suspended oil to liquify and drop at the bottom.

·
Banned
663 Posts
I think the best might be to send each port on the valve cover to a slash cut fitting on the down pipe.

I just wonder how long the check valves would last on a street car? It would suck if one of them failed.

Barring that, I think buying 2 seperators, and then using one on each port of the VC would be the next best... and probably best for a street car. T both into the intake, pre-turbo.

·
Registered
516 Posts
NUNEZTT said:
I have 2 -8An lines coming from my valve covers going into my catch can. I have a -10AN line going from my catch can into the turbo inlet. However I get oil residue. I was thinking about putting an oil/air separator of some type like used below inline
http://www.acmustang.com/catalog/steeda-separator-p-645.html?osCsid=fa70f94f015666553f458c568f8d2b3f

What do you think about something like that?

Mike
69.95 ! lol... Are they crazy. Just go to home depot ...that is nothing more than an air compressor filter. They come in all shapes and sizes. I run 2 of them vented out.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...E=PROD_META&CNTKEY=storehome/pg_storehome.jsp

·
Registered
855 Posts
LOL, that looks like the same one I've been using (except mine is blue) for a couple of years now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts