Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after seeing a couple threads where people changed the color or their interiors i finally got motivated to do it myself. ive always loved the way black interiors look on a red car and now i have the first step complete, the carpet. honestly, pulling out the carpet was pretty simple and straight forward. only thing being difficult was the dead pedal/foot rest. it took me two days (4 hours) to do the job as getting a nice even coat took a lot of brushing in order to get an OEM look to it. to anyone with tan carpet wishing they had black i highly recommend dying it black with fabric dye and save yourself the hundreds of dollars. here are pics after the job was complete. i couldnt be happier!! :bigthumb:

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
supraman116 said:
wow looks great. are u gonna go with aftermarket seats or just rewrap ur current ones?

for the seats i was thinking about getting the DAD racing seats off ebay and having someone local re-cover them in leather. the seats are relatively cheap and they use the Sparco mounting brackets to mount with no issues AFAIK.

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jaynite said:
haha..thats funny, i saw your pic of this in the test area and was gonna tell you to get rid of those tans seats.lol.. carpet dye sucks, paint,brush,paint,brush,paint,brush..lol..

jay

ps, why do you have a 2step? :stickpoke your a highway roll kinda guy, are you trying to up your drag racing skills....

why you have to be busting my balls all the time??!! :fawk: actually i bought it only because my friend baf32 was getting rid of it after going AEM and he made me an offer i couldnt refuse.... :) actually ive had it ever since the first time we met up. didnt you see it??

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jaynite said:
haha..thats funny, i saw your pic of this in the test area and was gonna tell you to get rid of those tans seats.lol.. carpet dye sucks, paint,brush,paint,brush,paint,brush..lol..

jay

ps, why do you have a 2step? :stickpoke your a highway roll kinda guy, are you trying to up your drag racing skills....
oh yeah, did i ever tell you i have a line lock too, bitch?? :bigthumb:

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Xenon Supra said:
That looks great! I'll definately be doing mine when I have some spare time.

What kind of fabric dyer did you use? Where did you get it? Thanks :)
hey guys, thanks for the nice words. the interior dye i used can be found on www.interiorone.com in the dye section or you can click on this link: interior one its the one that comes in a spray can. its a bit more expensive than other kinds you can get at Pep Boys or Autozone, but it seems to work very well. the color i got is Satin Black.

Edit- btw i remember others saying you needed about 8 cans. with this dye that i used i only used 3, but get 4 to be safe.....maybe the can is bigger :dunno:

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dan94TT said:
Eric the carpet looks really good, you did a very nice job with it. You guys up north are really starting to change your cars, and I love every second of it. Glad you are now posting pics of the progress with your ride. My car too is now going to go under the knife sometime this week, it will be sleeping in the garage with the hood off for a while :D The weather down here is heating up, and so is the action with the meets and the races.

thats what i like to hear Dan!!! im glad youre having fun there and that youre finally modding the supra. dont forget the 9 bizzillion megapixel pics!!!! :bigthumb:

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Por2geezSupra said:
looks great man. I would also like to know what type of fabric dye you used, and where you got it? And maybe if you could tell us how you did it to get that oem look, like how many coats and shit?

thanks man! dying it is rather straight forward and easy. to get the best results start with light even coats and scrub it very well. dont get carried away and saturate a particular spot. just repeat the spray and scrub step with many coats until its nice and even. it does take some time if you want it very even and smooth. took me about 4 hours spread out on 2 days.....mostly touching up and reinstalling on the second day.

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
slither said:
Looks awsome man. I gotta ask though, on that site it says you also need a tube of the "slip" stuff to keep it soft, did you use any of that?
thank for the compliments. the dye i used is the one thats in an aerosol can. im not sure if you need the slip stuff for that. a day after the carpet dried, i vaccumed it and then wiped it with a damp cloth ( no bleeding onto the rag at all) and it seems fine, nice and smooth.

edit- one thing i was going to do though was add 3M ScotchGuard to make it more water resistent. but after scrubbing it vigorously with a damp cloth and having no bleeding at all i figured it was unnecessary.

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
hey sun! its good to hear from you again. meeting up sounds good as i'd love to see your supra with those nice Volks again. or if yougot time you can stop by DPA on fri. in anycase, you can PM me or call if you still have my number and ill show you the carpeting up close.

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
xskaboomx said:
Hey, one question for you. I'm planning on re-doing my tan carpet. However, I have some stains under the passenger side seat and what looks like to be a small burn around the shifter console. Does this dye cover up flaws like these? Also, what about the smell? I have my suspicions that the previous owner may have smoked in the car and sometimes it smells a little musky. Does this process help in any way with these problems? I'm assuming it won't be of much help, but just checking to see if you have any input. Thanks!

-Travis
travis, im pretty sure the dye will cover up the stains, but im not so sure about the burn especially if it really burned through the carpet. in anycase, you should really clean the carpet very well with RESOLVE or any kind of carpet/fabric cleaner before using the dye.

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
xskaboomx said:
Any idea on the odors? Basically, a new set of fresh carpet will get out any permanent residue that may have been built up, but does this dye have a chemical feel/smell to it thus hopefully masking any previous residue? I'm not sure if I make any sense, but I'm looking for a cheap alternative to the interior, and I don't want to be left with black dyed carpet and end up having to replace with Toyota black carpet because the faint smoky smell remains.
the dye probably wouldnt be able to mask the smell if its enough to get to you. but cleaning the carpet before hand should do the trick.

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
95BlackToy said:
NYC 93-2JZGTE,

There seems to be 3 types of black in the aerosol can, #15013 Landau Black, #15233 Gloss Black and #15243 Satin Black. Which one did you use?

Thanks in advance!
i used satin black and it seemed to match the black floor mats pretty well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.