Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on staying manual but i the only 6 spd motor i found in the us was 6k. i got a good deal on a 2jzgte auto motor with full harness and auto ecu. i allready have a stick tranny and flywheel/clutch to swap out.

i spoke to some friends and i know guys have done auto to tt swap and did not need to swap harnesses. the 6spd harness is rare so why not just use this auto harness.

what do i exactly need to do to get my car running with the auto harness and possibly even the auto ecu but not an auto tranny?

i cant wait to get it running after all this time.

thanks

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
No, there is a way to fool the auto ecu into thinking it's in park or neutral all the time (so it will let you start). Sorry, but i dont know exactly which wires are crossed to do this. Some people say that the car wont run quite as well if you stick with the auto ecu as the ecu retards timing during the time the auto would have been changing gear, but im sure this must be incorrect because as far as the ecu knows, its in park.

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. well its a jdm motor and ecu. i just found out that jdm motors run on speed density and i will not be able to use my us maf sensor. maybe its a slight advantage and i wont have stalling with a bov.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Urban Customs said:
thanks. well its a jdm motor and ecu. i just found out that jdm motors run on speed density and i will not be able to use my us maf sensor. maybe its a slight advantage and i wont have stalling with a bov.
You'll need a greddy BCC to stop the fuel cut, set it to 4.35v. The speed density ECU is more than a slight advantage, as long as you dont plan on running more than about 18psi boost - The BCC will stop the ecu seeing more than about 14.5psi, but it actually keeps fueling safe up to about 18psi thanks to the stock rich tune.

The JDM ecu is a very good way to go single with a piggyback down the track also.

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
Just get the US spec 6 speed harness. They are only like $800 brand new from Elmhurst Toyota. I think WOTM has one listed for sale for like $650 used.

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gmacrae said:
You'll need a greddy BCC to stop the fuel cut, set it to 4.35v. The speed density ECU is more than a slight advantage, as long as you dont plan on running more than about 18psi boost - The BCC will stop the ecu seeing more than about 14.5psi, but it actually keeps fueling safe up to about 18psi thanks to the stock rich tune.

The JDM ecu is a very good way to go single with a piggyback down the track also.
heres what i have collected even before i got the motor.

3 in downpipe
4 in exhaust
hks intake
BCC
greddy boost controller (from na-t setup)
3 row intercooler

basically im set to go bpu

kbprice said:
Just get the US spec 6 speed harness. They are only like $800 brand new from Elmhurst Toyota. I think WOTM has one listed for sale for like $650 used.

us spec 6 spds are impossible to find. i found one and it was jdm and they were asking 6k for it.

i got a real real good deal on this motor. i basically just have to figure out how to use the ecu and manual trannny. it couldnt be that hard because people swap all the time.

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
No, I'm talking about just the engine harness. You can get a brand new one to use with the tranny and US spec ecu.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
If you've got a dump pipe with full exhaust you're going to need a restrictor between the DP and the midpipe to keep boost safe. I use a 61mm restrictor and boost stays at 18psi on colder nights and around 15psi during warm weather (20c+). If you want to run lower boost, i'd suggest starting with a 58mm hole in the restrictor and working up from there by just filing it out - crude way of doing it, but it works :)

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
kbprice said:
No, I'm talking about just the engine harness. You can get a brand new one to use with the tranny and US spec ecu.

But he's using the JDM ecu and there are a few differences in the plug IIRC, and why would you spend $800 on something if you dont actually have to?

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gmacrae said:
If you've got a dump pipe with full exhaust you're going to need a restrictor between the DP and the midpipe to keep boost safe. I use a 61mm restrictor and boost stays at 18psi on colder nights and around 15psi during warm weather (20c+). If you want to run lower boost, i'd suggest starting with a 58mm hole in the restrictor and working up from there by just filing it out - crude way of doing it, but it works :)

dump pipe? i have a regular downpipe with exhaust. are we talking about to different things?

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kbprice said:

good point. but heres the way i see it. if i go aem with single in the future anyway i will eliminate the fuel system, turines, and ecu. the only thing really left would be the harness which will not have much affect to anything at that point i believe.

·
Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,091 Posts
I got my motor and 6 speed tranny mated together for only $4300, i went down personally to get the setup because i thought this was a scam. So when i went down there turned out the company was legit. I picked it up from Berekley California, they just import motors and trannys.

Let me know if you are still looking for the 6 speed tranny, and i will contact them to see if they have anymore, so basically i got my tranny for $2500. Oh and there were only 20k miles on it.

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MKIV4EVER said:
I got my motor and 6 speed tranny mated together for only $4300, i went down personally to get the setup because i thought this was a scam. So when i went down there turned out the company was legit. I picked it up from Berekley California, they just import motors and trannys.

Let me know if you are still looking for the 6 speed tranny, and i will contact them to see if they have anymore, so basically i got my tranny for $2500. Oh and there were only 20k miles on it.

i can get a 6spd tranny for 650 from a supplier in chicago. warranty on the hard parts. i dont plan on going 6spd for now though. i just need to get it running.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Urban Customs said:
dump pipe? i have a regular downpipe with exhaust. are we talking about to different things?
Sorry, yea same thing. So if you have a 3" down pipe and aftermarket exhaust from there back you're gonna need the restrictor.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
650 for a V160 tranny? are you fucking serious?

Urban Customs said:
i can get a 6spd tranny for 650 from a supplier in chicago. warranty on the hard parts. i dont plan on going 6spd for now though. i just need to get it running.

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
gmacrae said:
No, there is a way to fool the auto ecu into thinking it's in park or neutral all the time (so it will let you start). Sorry, but i dont know exactly which wires are crossed to do this. Some people say that the car wont run quite as well if you stick with the auto ecu as the ecu retards timing during the time the auto would have been changing gear, but im sure this must be incorrect because as far as the ecu knows, its in park.

You have to trick the ecu at a few points but after that it will run fine.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
use the stock JDM harness and extend it or use a usdm harness. It doesn't make much difference if it is 6 speed or auto, inspect the schematic and you will see they are basically the same.

I'm using a JDM auto ECU with a 6 speed USDM harness (I didn't want to take the time to extend my harness, but don't care if it is Auto or 6 speed). Then a fields harness to throw in my emanage ultimate and all the resistors required to get rid the VSV's.....

You could also adapt your usdm NA harnress if you use a fields harness and add the few missing connections. They are all similar electrically.

-M

1 - 20 of 21 Posts