Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, I finally got my dream license plate! I realize this is the Northwest section, but since I’m originally from the Northwest and all my friends are in the Northwest, I thought I’d share here.

I’ll explain why this is my dream license plate. The first reason is that this license plate is a “Shinagawa” issued license plate. Which is basically the most respected plate. I’ll explain. Since Japan is basically small and there aren’t any states and you can’t exactly drive to a different country the license plates only show what “prefecture” you live in. Tokyo uses 3 different “prefectures” for license plates. The most common is “Adachi” the next is the outskirt of Tokyo “Nerima” but downtown Tokyo uses “Shinagawa” Most Japanese people care where your license plate is from.

For example, what do you think people would think if you rolled into downtown Seattle with your license plate reading “North Bend”? :stickpoke

But the main reason this plate is my dream plate is because the number reads
“ 1 4 1”

This is a little difficult to explain, but when you count in Japanese it basically goes…. ICHI, NI, SAN, SHI, GO, ROKU, SHICHI, HACHI, KYU, JYU etc…..
The Number ICHI (1), is also used as just the first character “I” (pronounced E)
So My plate reads: I – SHI –I (1-4-1)
I’m sure you all now get that it spells out my last name. (Letters are not used on Japanese Plates) Using numbers for words is used a lot in Japan for many different things, like telephone numbers in commercials.

I won’t explain the rest, here is a web site that is kinda cool if you are interested in Japanese license plates.
http://www.tigerdude.com/japan/license/pref1962.html

Sorry for the long post!

Ishii

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
Congrats, it looks like you really have to bust out the creativity stick over there since you are limited to letters only. I had to laugh when I saw you explaining "ichi" though. It immediately reminded me of the movie "Koroshiya 1 (Ichi the Killer)"...and well that is never a good thing to have running through your head while eating. Looks clean though!

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
428 Posts
That's cool. Although in response to the statement: "For example, what do you think people would think if you rolled into downtown Seattle with your license plate reading “North Bend”?"

I don't think it would be a big deal at all... Maybe Medina? Still... maybe it's just me but I think the car it's on is more important to someone thinking anything about it than the location it's from.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
North Bend forever dammit! ;)

Congratulations on the bad ass plate! I have built my own Shinagawa based plate in Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 on PS2 so I'm feelin' ya! :lol:

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Pretty interesting to me and thanks for the explanation ICHI-SHI-ICHI

Jim
from Ichiban (USS JASON ARH-1) who served the US Navy in Japan in 1951 & 1952

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
c0dy said:
That's cool. Although in response to the statement: "For example, what do you think people would think if you rolled into downtown Seattle with your license plate reading “North Bend”?"

I don't think it would be a big deal at all... Maybe Medina? Still... maybe it's just me but I think the car it's on is more important to someone thinking anything about it than the location it's from.
yah, basically it would be like a "Medina plate"
I feel less embarrased driving around in a 15 year old car with it on though.
Even though its attached to a twin turbo Soarer, which is an old unatractive car in Japan. :dunno:

Steve Theodore said:

Congratulations on the bad ass plate! I have built my own Shinagawa based plate in Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 on PS2 so I'm feelin' ya! :lol:
Thanks!, I thought you'd get a kick out of that!

93dawg said:
Pretty interesting to me and thanks for the explanation ICHI-SHI-ICHI

Jim
from Ichiban (USS JASON ARH-1) who served the US Navy in Japan in 1951 & 1952
hahaha thanks Jim, yeah you get it! Glad you found it interesting, I was worried I was boring everyone.

Ichi - Shi - Ichi

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
428 Posts
Steve Theodore said:

haha no offense Steve, I have a couple friends over in Issaquah, nice area =)

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
fuindustries said:
Congrats, it looks like you really have to bust out the creativity stick over there since you are limited to letters only. I had to laugh when I saw you explaining "ichi" though. It immediately reminded me of the movie "Koroshiya 1 (Ichi the Killer)"...and well that is never a good thing to have running through your head while eating. Looks clean though!

oops, forgot to reply... Yeah, you do really have to be creative! For example, the plate 8 9 3

When you read that plate it says: YA - KU - ZA

But its more common to see the Yakuza with plates like:
***8, **88, *888, 8888

Try to stay away from people with those plates!!! :hide:

Actually on the way home from picking up my plates today I saw a few Yakuza in a Toyota Century with the plate **88 and in front of them was a Nissan Grand President with the plate **99. Both cars black......:eek3:

edit - I wonder if they have a friend with a plate that says **33 ? hahaha

Ishii

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,100 Posts
Haha thats sweet, when I first got my car it had my bday in numbers right on it. So having something thats like that is fun lol.

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,913 Posts
speaking of JDM plates.........Quick, do you have something to tell me?

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
Sweet! It's all fun and games until some fat japanese soccer mom complains about it :sadance:

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Quick...how do you spell the JDM equivalent of "GOTMILF"? :wtflol:

·
MKIV intervention needed
3,021 Posts
how do you get those back lit ones over there, they look tight as hell.

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
garagefujimoto said:
Omedetou gozaimasu.
Utsukushii desu, Ishii-san
I actually scored one of the backlit plates and have it on my Supra right now
I love it.
Thanks man!

To answer cuemaster's question. All you have to do is aply for it and pay a little extra. I think they are cool, but in reality I don't want one on my car cause that would actually be my number plate. I've gotten in enough trouble from the traffic cameras, I don't want to roll around with a light up billboard!!! hahaha

Oh and Dr. Mike, I don't think I can piss off too many Soccermoms with this one. the only way to make a number plate bad would be if it could start with a 0. But since plates can't start with 0 here, you cant make anything really offensive with these number words.....

Ishii

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
ToyoBeastly said:
speaking of JDM plates.........Quick, do you have something to tell me?
:scratch: :dunno: :confused:

FWIW wouldn't it be "kirei desu" ? I thought "utsukushi" was for natural beauty... ? :)

Steve -- You'd have to ask Ishii-san that one. :)

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,913 Posts
quick said:
:scratch: :dunno: :confused:

FWIW wouldn't it be "kirei desu" ? I thought "utsukushi" was for natural beauty... ? :)

Steve -- You'd have to ask Ishii-san that one. :)
didnt ishii give you a JDM plate for me? i swear that is who told me that.... :scratch:

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
ToyoBeastly said:
didnt ishii give you a JDM plate for me? i swear that is who told me that.... :scratch:
:dunno: I don't remember him saying that, but you're welcome to one of the plates.

How come you never mentioned it? I was there last year? :lol:

PM me your address and I'll grab you one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts