Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll post pics tomorrow but I finally got the car in the garage.

I picked up a 1991 Supra turbo/targa for $650. Had to trailer it back up here from Orlando, but it was worth it.

Here's the deal, the car is in pretty hard shape. No big deal though, was planning a rebuild.

I'll be selling the following:
  • Front/back bumper covers
  • Most of the side skirts (some parts aren't worth selling)
  • Back seat (needs to be recovered badly)
  • Maybe the hood (if I can find a good CF hood to replace it)
  • Maybe dash (it's blue, I need black for my plans)
  • Sawblades
  • Probably other stuff I can't remember.

Okay, so what's this have to do with engines? Here's what, the engine seems to be pretty far gone. It smokes on start up, the undercarage shows signs of a pretty steady oil leak for a long time, have to figure out what's up with the A/C system, and I don't know if the turbo is spooling (boost guage doesn't even wiggle at slow speeds or idle). I haven't been able to actually drive it yet as I need to replace the high pressure line going to the rack & pinion.

My goal for the car is somewhere between 300 and 320 reliable RWHP. That's more then enough for me, I'm not looking to race everyone, just looking to have fun with the car.

The question: Rebuild current engine or swap? I've been reading about the 1JZ engines and I know I may be able to get back the money for the swap by selling off stock parts. So money isn't really the question.

Other then power, is there any reason to go with the swap?

As the car sits now it needs a lot of work:
  • Paint is toast
  • Targa has a rust hole in it (and isn't even the original targa)
  • Windshield and hatch seals (along wth most the rest of the rubber) need to be replaced
  • Interior needs tons of work
  • All around clean up/modding.

Anyway, so the swap, what ya'll think? :D

(sorry for the long post, am stocked about finally having it in the garage. :))

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
holy crap...thats in REALLY bad condition bro....repairs would cost more than the car even if it was in mint condition...but for the engine...can't go wrong with a swap :D

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
j2supraman said:
holy crap...thats in REALLY bad condition bro....repairs would cost more than the car even if it was in mint condition...but for the engine...can't go wrong with a swap :D
nah thats not bad for 650 bucks..really cant go wrong for that.

everything can be fixed and you could have a perfectly reliable and running car for around 5k and thats a pristine everything in the car. maybe a little more if you do 1jz

as for the swap itself.....i love my 7m and as for stock for stock the 1jz is better butonly because the boost is upped........potential they are about the same if not more on the 7m..

reliability is the keyword here...

if done PROPERLY the 7m can be reliable as any other motor..but certain things needs replacing from stock for that to happen.....

HOWEVER.....the 1jz is basically reliable uot of the box with the exception of the turbos......

so its really a crapshoot.....look into the engines and decide what you want...the 1jz swap is becoming increasingly popular..but really for the wrong reasons if you ask me.

anyways good luck and restore that beast! and make sure we get pics along the way ;)

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
lol sounds like my 91.. whats with the ppl in florida beating the hell out of the cars.. haha.. paint is bad (clear pealing on mine) rusted targa, cracked to hell seats/dash, hole in the block.. but i payed more for it then you did :( .. but with everything redone.. its only 4.5-5K into it so worth it in my opinion (5-6k book value )

for that amount of power.. i say the 7m would be a cheaper option and still be reliable if well taken care of and not ragged to hell.......... the 1jz is also a decent option.. reliablility i would think better then the 7m (thinking bout 2jz.. having no experience with the 1jz).. would possibly give better gas milage so might pay for its self that way(just thinking 2.5l vs 3.0l, talking out of my ass)

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
tissimo said:
for that amount of power.. i say the 7m would be a cheaper option
:agreed: A direct swap to another 7M would be easy and cheap compared to a 1JZ swap. And for the power you are looking for, the 7M would also be better because of readily available parts for it (intake, exhaust etc)

Just be sure to slap a MHG with some ARP's in when you are assembling your motor. After that, you should be all set for 300rwhp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help! :)

Been looking and have seen some 7M engines for less then $1000 (not including shipping).

is there a difference between the 7MGTE engines we had over here and the JDM 7MGTE engines? Most of the ones I've seen listed on the net say they come from Japan, so I'm wondering if the ecu and other electronics I have on the car will work with it.

Oh, and a MHG is a must, already looking to get that done before the engine goes in the car. :D

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
IdealSupra said:
nah thats not bad for 650 bucks..really cant go wrong for that.

yeah...thats what u told me jayson and look at all the headaches i went through :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
since your in Georgia i would call up Pacific Engines and ask for Hugh. They are located in Atlanta so shipping wouldnt be an issue. This is where i got my 40k mile JDM 7MGTE -- the motor looked brand new and the head was fresh from the machine shop with a HKS 1.2mm metal headgasket already installed. And the price was only $850. Now that i got it in the car it runs like a champ.

Your ecu and wiring harness should be fine if they are good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would go with 7mgte or JDM 7mgte. Less headaches. less wrenches getting thrown. Its a nice find though, 650 for a 91. My friend bought 91 black NA for 2000. Serious electrical problems though. No interior lights, electronics ahhhhh. Bastard also crunched my hand when I was installing his H4 conversion...I mean.. u say "turn the lights on" not "down and crush my hand" blah.
How is the underbody other than the oil?
jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Underbody looks fine, just dirty. Car needs a lot of clean up work, it should be getting it soon.

Thanks for the heads up about the shop in atl. I'll give them a call soon, $850 for the engine (and I can just go pick it up) with the MHG already in place kicks ass. :)

The electrical on this car seems fine. The only issue is I'm not sure if any of the AC stuff works (isn't even a belt on the AC pump) so there may be an issue there. But I'm not going to worry about it until it's time to start putting the engine back in. :)

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
You should have checked out my thread "my dilemma 7m or 1j" before posting this thread!

There is quite a bit of info in it with regards to the swap. Also check out the 1jz section for more info!

For your goals the 1jz would be a bad choice. I would only go with the 1jz if you want serious power!

Just my 0.02 cents!

Later

Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I've pretty well decided to go with the 7m engine. $850 is a great deal and gets me to where I want to be with the go side of this project.

Anyone got the number (or URL) for Pacific Engines?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pulse1 said:
I think I've pretty well decided to go with the 7m engine. $850 is a great deal and gets me to where I want to be with the go side of this project.

Anyone got the number (or URL) for Pacific Engines?

Thanks for all the help!
Just to let you guys know... pacific engine company undertorqued my head... causing headgasket failure at 10,000 miles. I wouldnt recommend them to anyone.

They "rebuilt" and installed the engine in my car... apparently they either lied to me or have no idea what they are doing :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts