Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
amazing condition.. he told me he dynoed at 380hp and 500tq
he was running on methanol when he raced me..
so im not sure if he would have more power or not from it.
dont know much about meth injection at all.
anyways..
I raced him a few times from a roll.
starting at around 70km
we were dead even till 4th gear.. i started pulling slowly
then he said too bad he didnt have his typhoon out haha

oh well.. my first real race .. didnt do so bad..
i thought for sure he'd pull on me at first

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just excited about this race so i had to post it
everybody brags about the grand nationals so i've been trying to race a few but none of them bite.. except this guy.. he was laughing at first cuz i guess he thought he'd whoop my ass

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
David S said:
Good run. I am surprised the GN wanted to run from a roll.
I agree, seems like their achilles heel.

They are as many know lethal among RWD cars for launching on regular radials. Even with relatively narrow stock tires, good drivers can get 1.80 sec. 60's and regularly get 1.9x sec. 60'. Good weight transfer (dual to large overhangs promoting pitch changes, tall body, not-too-stiff suspension, high roll center which hurts handling potential actually discourages wheel hop) and automatic transmission are the attributes.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Cool. The GN probably tops out around 140ish anyway, and the aero would hurt accel long before that. Just be ready to fight if you ever attempt to run one from a stop! :eek:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had an 87 GN years ago. It was a blast to drive. I ran McCreary dirt tires on it without tubes and that thing hooked nicely. I had a built tranny with 3.55 gears too. Upgraded turbo and a few other things. I always loved that car. My wife, who doesn't normally like fast cars loved to drive it too. It was always funny to hear her stories when she drove it. It suck around corners, although the Hotchkiss upper and lower control arms helped some. They are very quick off the line. :cool:

I

·
0 Posts
I remember when i had my GN and raced an early 90's mustang with the huge tach, exhaust, etc and was looking at me like what the hell is that car???

Then all he saw was my taillights from the stop light. i think he knows now.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
yea gn are out on roll ons. he would have killed you from a stop. the way those cars launch he is probably in the mid 11's.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Guido: why the 3.55? Stock is 3.42. I had an 85 that was "modified" :)

Ran 3.73 with 28" tall MT slicks. Ran 10.50s. Neat car to drive on the street, switch pitch TH400 made for a nice cruiser although the lack of overdrive made it nerve racking on the drives to Vegas at 3800 (these things redline at 5600). I was running a Stage 2, 4.1 liter block and ATR headers with Turbonetics turbo (they were decent back then). The rear ATR sway bar ( 1 1/4" thick !!) greatly improved the cornering along with the rear air bags in the coil springs (for launching). It was like riding a ten second couch, LOL.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
DeanMarcum said:
Guido: why the 3.55? Stock is 3.42. I had an 85 that was "modified" :)

Ran 3.73 with 28" tall MT slicks. Ran 10.50s. Neat car to drive on the street, switch pitch TH400 made for a nice cruiser although the lack of overdrive made it nerve racking on the drives to Vegas at 3800 (these things redline at 5600). I was running a Stage 2, 4.1 liter block and ATR headers with Turbonetics turbo (they were decent back then). The rear ATR sway bar ( 1 1/4" thick !!) greatly improved the cornering along with the rear air bags in the coil springs (for launching). It was like riding a ten second couch, LOL.
You may be right. I thought it was 3.55's but it may have been the 3.73's. It's been a few years since I had it (I bought it in 1989 and sold it about 4 years later). I had the larger sway bar too and the air bag (I think in one side only) and the pinion snubber too. I also had the upper and lower control arms attached for more stability too. Hotchkiss has a special setup for the GN. Driving it slow around corners was not impressive, but at higher speeds it actually handled pretty well (for a GN!!). I had a larger turbo from Turbonetics but a stock block. The tranny, the smaller torque converter and the gears really made it quick down low, though. Lots of torque. I had a friend who rode with me one night and I launched it and it felt like that ride the shoots you forward then loops around (it says 0 to 50 in xxx seconds). It scared the crap out of him. He never thought me car was fast until then. :cool:

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Guido said:
You may be right. I thought it was 3.55's but it may have been the 3.73's. It's been a few years since I had it (I bought it in 1989 and sold it about 4 years later). I had the larger sway bar too and the air bag (I think in one side only) and the pinion snubber too. I also had the upper and lower control arms attached for more stability too. Hotchkiss has a special setup for the GN. Driving it slow around corners was not impressive, but at higher speeds it actually handled pretty well (for a GN!!). I had a larger turbo from Turbonetics but a stock block. The tranny, the smaller torque converter and the gears really made it quick down low, though. Lots of torque. I had a friend who rode with me one night and I launched it and it felt like that ride the shoots you forward then loops around (it says 0 to 50 in xxx seconds). It scared the crap out of him. He never thought me car was fast until then. :cool:
LOL, I know what you mean. I'll have to scan some of the pictures of the car at Vegas carrying the front wheels through the 60ft lights. I take it you were running the 200R4? I broke a few too many, the last two were upgraded by Art. I then went with the switch pitch TH400 with trans brake. THAT is some fun launching ction. My car was used to "test" the trailing arms for Hotchkis. Never did get the uppers though. I was also running the pinion snubber and some only ran an air bag in the passenger side coil but I had a bag in both but ran 10psi more in the right bag. The only reason I went with the 3.73s was so I could run the 10" slicks. At the time the 26" tall slicks were only available 8" wide and the 10" wide were only available in 28" tall slicks. I ran the 3.73s so that the effective rear end ratio was the same. The TH400 ran a 2.73 first and a 1.54 second so it was pretty close to the stock 200R4. It was pretty cool in the day being able to run 10's in a grocery getter, LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most GN's put those figures down fairly easy. I like the way they look just aren't to keen on the interior.....

I

·
0 Posts
TTA #656 said:
Most GN's put those figures down fairly easy. I like the way they look just aren't to keen on the interior.....
There is a company that remakes the interior in leather that looks amazing and still retains the original colors. It is a huge improvement.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Fred A. has that in his GN. I really like the leather conversion, looks sweet. If I can find another GN or T I'll pick it up. Might even go with just a bare Regal as the drivetrain parts are fairly easy to get to convert (plus insurance would be cheaper LOL).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts