Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And im a bit disappointed. First off, I was expecting the 1J to be a throw you back in your seat neck snapping beast, like a 2JZGTE. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it was more of a higher RPM puller 'vtecish' (sorry to use the term vtec) feel.

I have an SC300 Auto, and have been planning to drop a 1J in her for a few months, and have been researching and researching on how to get this thing to hang with my 500hp buddies. Ive had some trouble finding a Soarer clip with a R154, but after riding in this guys SC, im having second thoughts of the 1J.

His car was a SC300, 1JZ bone stock, W58 5 speed, running 12psi, no cat, no muffler. Yeah I know she was stock, but I guess I was expecting a bit more.

Anyway, the 1J is still the cost effective solution. My main goal is to get around 330-400 rwhp, while feeling comfortable enough to stay my daily driver with everything.

Not looking to do any crazy mods, but how much of an improvement will I get with FMIC, 3in exhaust, intake, and Cams. I would go single turbo, but I want to keep the awesome stock look of the 1J (thanks to California)

And anyway to add some lowend power to the 1J ?

I probably need to ride in a modded 1J, maybe this first impression wasnt fair.

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
hemogoblin said:
And im a bit disappointed. First off, I was expecting the 1J to be a throw you back in your seat neck snapping beast, like a 2JZGTE. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it was more of a higher RPM puller 'vtecish' (sorry to use the term vtec) feel.

I have an SC300 Auto, and have been planning to drop a 1J in her for a few months, and have been researching and researching on how to get this thing to hang with my 500hp buddies. Ive had some trouble finding a Soarer clip with a R154, but after riding in this guys SC, im having second thoughts of the 1J.

His car was a SC300, 1JZ bone stock, W58 5 speed, running 12psi, no cat, no muffler. Yeah I know she was stock, but I guess I was expecting a bit more.

Anyway, the 1J is still the cost effective solution. My main goal is to get around 330-400 rwhp, while feeling comfortable enough to stay my daily driver with everything.

Not looking to do any crazy mods, but how much of an improvement will I get with FMIC, 3in exhaust, intake, and Cams. I would go single turbo, but I want to keep the awesome stock look of the 1J (thanks to California)

And anyway to add some lowend power to the 1J ?

I probably need to ride in a modded 1J, maybe this first impression wasnt fair.
I dont wanna dissapoint you, but your friends motor was probably shitty, or you were expecting like 500rwhp. BUT, a stock 1jz with full exhuast and a ypipe/dp combo at a stock boost will usually make around 330rwhp with a good motor. I see stock 1jz's running 13.5 1/4 mile all day long, so they're definately not slow. Maybe you are just comparing it to the "mythical, incredible, best motor ever 2jz"

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
I thought i saw a vtec 1jz single turbo once? im sure they came in newer cars tho.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
NeatOman said:
I thought i saw a vtec 1jz single turbo once? im sure they came in newer cars tho.
Toyotas have vtec?

That's news to me. :sadance:

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
really? my car makes full boost and really gets moving around 3000RPM.

Maybe you're used to big V8 or turbo diesel? :dunno:

I've never had someone NOT be impressed. it's never been like 'wow... i was expecting more' it's always WOW... I was expecting it to not be that quick'

that's coming from a couple 2J owners too just for reference...

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
I have two 1JZ sc300s. One Stock, one BPU++. Both at 10psi are TOTALLY different cars. The Bone stock car is still very quick, faster then any stock non turbo SC engine. The BPU++ car makes almost 280whp at stock boost.

The Stock car gets 22mpg. The BPU car gets 26 :)

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
When i first rode ina 1jz i wasn't that impressed.. but liked the powerband..

·
Registered
923 Posts
smooth powerband, cant wait to try it out. I wanna put power t the ground.

sc is a heavy car, so you shouldnt expect lighting bolts to come out the exhaust with a stock engine. I cant wait to take my car for the first drive.

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
airbats801 said:
smooth powerband, cant wait to try it out. I wanna put power t the ground.

sc is a heavy car, so you shouldnt expect lighting bolts to come out the exhaust with a stock engine. I cant wait to take my car for the first drive.
Yea, the sc is heavy. But it only weighs 1,600 kilos which last time I checked was only about 3400 lbs, wich is actually lighter than an MKIII!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I thought they werte up around 3800lbs? Guess im way off. Either way, I want one :)

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
either im too light(155lbs) or i dunno, but i'll have to record an incar tape of my 1jz throwing my entire head hard on the to seats headrest lol. And im only at 8.5psi with 3" Muffler system, FMIC, walbro pump and a high ratio lsd lol

I likes my 1jz lol

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
VJ RC51 said:
I have two 1JZ sc300s. One Stock, one BPU++. Both at 10psi are TOTALLY different cars. The Bone stock car is still very quick, faster then any stock non turbo SC engine. The BPU++ car makes almost 280whp at stock boost.

The Stock car gets 22mpg. The BPU car gets 26 :)

Sell me one??:)

Josh

·
Registered
76 Posts
Jewishjalopi said:
I dont wanna dissapoint you, but your friends motor was probably shitty, or you were expecting like 500rwhp. BUT, a stock 1jz with full exhuast and a ypipe/dp combo at a stock boost will usually make around 330rwhp with a good motor. I see stock 1jz's running 13.5 1/4 mile all day long, so they're definately not slow. Maybe you are just comparing it to the "mythical, incredible, best motor ever 2jz"
He rode in my SC. Dyno'd 263 at the wheels with everything stock but a cat. Now I've got no mufflers and a boost controller set at 12 psi. Maybe my 19" Lowenharts are slowing the car down a little hehe. :)

Anyways here's the car. I don't mean this sarcastically at all...does it look like a slouch?

http://www.importmodifier.org/videos/sc300.wmv

·
Registered
76 Posts
As much as I want to, I can't claim the driving. I got Alex Pfiffer to take my car around the track at the last Drift Day competition I was in so I could get some video of it. I was driving a KA-powered S14 and not doing so well. Anyways Alex has a stock 5-speed SC300, and had a big shit eating grin after driving my car. He even said he was interested in doing the swap after that.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
interesting bit of information.:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 1J is deceptive.. it appears slow in stock form.. but its not. Having said that its certainly not ultra quick either.

The power delivery of the standard twins is very deceptive. Its smooooooooth to feed in the power, and as a result you dont really notice it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The thing is with the sc3 with a 1jz, the power band is big. It just feels like the motor keeps pulling and pulling. The 2jz feels more hard hitting but shorter. I love the 1jz on the highway.

Robb
92sc300 1jz 5spd
03 Ducati 999

1 - 20 of 49 Posts