Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the way I didn't drive - just rode in one. And Wow, I was really impressed. I believe it had a T67 and it was only pushing 10 psi. Probably about 400 hp to the wheels. It was vented to the atmosphere and that thing not only sounded like a jet, it took off like a jet. Yet my only concern was how slow it spooled. I was kinda disapointed in that aspect. It really felt slower than my Stock JDM Twins (for obvious reasons) and then when the turbo kicked in at around 4000 rpms it slung you back in the seat - which was awesome. But I need and want that constant boost feel and almost Torque feel that I get with my Twins.

Well here's the dilema, stock JDM Twins....who knows how long they will last or if the guy who has my car now can fix them (I have some sort of boost leak/boost problem). So I may have to bite the bullet and go single...(hey, if your reading this please try to at least fix the turbos I have :) ) But what to do about the slow spool?

I'm sure this has been covered but really guys, was the Single Turbo really all that you had hoped for? Or was it a give and take? No Low End Power in Exchange for Neck Snapping Thrills? And I'd like to hear from some of you that have experience with both the Single and Highly Modded Twins. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
yeah i have a 74mm turbo with a 4500 stall idles fine daily driver. not too much lag either. Launches better than my stock twins did on a 6 speed.

·
Registered
531 Posts
ITS TO4SO4 dual ball bearing turbo spools faster than stock 450rwhp at 15psi.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've got a sp63 and I was very happy with spool after I installed it. It spools about the same as stock twins in TTC, but of course pulls well beyond them. It does have alot to do with how you drive to keep it in that sweet spot so lag isn't such an issue. like everyone said a high stall in an auto helps but if your 6spd quick shifts and proper shift timing will make you a very very happy singled supra owner.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
breakemlose said:
yeah i have a 74mm turbo with a 4500 stall idles fine daily driver. not too much lag either. Launches better than my stock twins did on a 6 speed.

4500 stalled daily driver is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your replys. Well fortunately I have a Built Auto w/3800 stall. So that may help out. Since my goals are only around 500 hp, I should be good with a smaller turbo like a SP57. And don't know much about that TO4SO4 Turbo, but I'll do some research. Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
What is LAG? :blah:

If you need POWER shift down ! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Veta said:
What is LAG? :blah:

If you need POWER shift down ! :bigthumb:
How do you shift down from 1st gear? :)

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
bart97 said:
Did you say wait for a moment still sounds like lag.
You are lost !

Try some BigBlock N/A

Supra need lag to build big SupraPower :biggrin:

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Supra600 said:
HTML:
What is LAG?  

If you need POWER shift down !
Lag is waaaaaay overrated.

Lag sucks and it definetely exists in most single turbo supras. Once you've been driving a single supra around, you get used to the lag and learn to drive around it. Like, don't try to pass a car at 3000rpm in 5th gear. It just won't happen.

On the other hand, I've been in a fast spooling supra (with a t60-1) that didn't appear to have any lag. It really depends on the car setup and application. With the right stall, auto trannys can spool huge turbos quickly... and nitrous can spool those huge 6speed single turbo supras ;)

oh yeah.. I used to think lag was overrated until I rode in a viper again.

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
Anyone who thinks lag is overrated is fooling themselves and making excuses for driving a car with a 3.0L motor. :)

Small singles rule in the real world! ;)

Steve T.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts