Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had Bruce Nomura help me install a HKS fuel pressure regulator, Fuel pressur gauge and finally fixed my problem.
I EGT was shooting up to 760C mounted on top of DP, running 18psi BPU which was way too hot. I suspected a really lean fuel supply and decided had some helpful inputs from Grant and Andi and other guys on the forum. After I had the fuel pressure dialed in correctly, my EGT droped to 690C MAX in every hard pull even on uphill.
so for those of you who have high EGTs, check intoyour fuel presure regulators and fuel pump to make sure you have enough pressure in fuel.

Jonas

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Good info....glad to hear ya got it figured out....

Jay

·
Registered
332 Posts
Zerosoul,

I think that I have the same problem. I put in the upgraded Walbro, so the pump is not the problem.The filter is fine and I bypassed the fuel dampener. How can I hook up a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? Do you just pull the vacum line for the stock one and run the new one before the rail or do you need to take out the stock FPR and weld a new fitting to the rail with the aftermarket one? Any help would be great. I'm getting ready to do a small single on stock fuel so I want to make sure things are ok.

TIA

-TY

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt install the FPR...Bruce did. anyway, you will leave the stock FPR in unless you upgrade fuel rail(there is no aftermarket FPR that directly replace stock FPR) you will then run a vacuum line to the new FPR mounted somewhere beside the intake manifold. you will need to buy some fittings and steel braided lines (AN6?)to use as fuel return line. I didnt think it was a DIY job thats why I took it to Bruce. You will also need a fuel pressure gauge to test and dial in proper fuel pressure. HKS did not come with gauge cuz it is useless to have gauge on the FPR and IN the engine. you need a gauge hooked up on your dash so you can monitor its pressure especially during boost to determine wherether you need more pressure or less. then take repair manual and match specs.
the rule is if you are boosting 18psi, you will need 18psi extra fuel pressure in the system.
hope this helps.
Jonas

·
Registered
332 Posts
So the stock FPR is just unplugged? Does the stock fuel return still function or do you block it? Sorry for all the questions. So you ran a whole new line to the fuel tank? I know there are FPR that have two ports. One in and one out. I would imagine that you run line from the pump to the input then the one to the rail as the out put. The excess fuel would still use the stock line then. right?

-TY

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all I know is you keep the stock FPR and put aftermarket FPR after so it will over-ride and take control of the fuel pressure.
I will have to take a good look at my setup to see if stock FPR is disabled which I doubt it is, its just been over-ride.
Jonas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts