Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so before everyone says this question has been asked before, i know it has BUT this time its personalized lol ok so heres the deal, i bought an 89T and the motors toast (im no stranger when it comes to 7m's... it's DONE so rebuild is out of the question). i still have a good wiring harness, trans, stock ic piping, basically everything so i was just gonna save up for a new 7m but skn imports (where i wanna buy my motor from due to relatively cheap prices and a 6 month unlimited mile warranty that comes on all of their engines) isnt going to be getting a new one in anytime soon (if they did the price would be 1050) buuuut they do however have a 1j, engine only for only 850 and i kind of think i could talk them down a little bit on it. so if i could pick it up for 750 as compared to 1050 what do you guys think? i mean the jz series are champs but i've never opened one up i've only rebuilt 7m's. im leaning towards waiting for a 7m. what do you guys think?
p.s. sorry for the wall of text lol

· (◕_◕)
8,453 Posts
I'd wait for a 7m, you need the wiring harness for 1j, ecu, since its a FFIM you will either need to relocate your battery, or have a tight angle there in the piping. 750 wouldn't be all that bad of a deal though, also I think the clutches might be different, idk. I have no experience with 1jz's, I would stick to the 7m, gather things for the 1j, and do it, if that is your ultimate goal later on.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats what i was thinking, i actually dont think the clutches are different though just the bellhousing, not sure though so dont quote me lol and not to mention if i stay with a 7m i'd have two of everything in the engine except a second block or crank. so in the future if anything ever decides to crap out i'd be covered more or less. btw thanks for the quick response man :)

· VVT-i FTW
704 Posts
750 isn't bad at all, and no you wouldn't need a different clutch, just the flywheel and bellhousing, but sourcing those out could could be upwards of $700. The ecu, wiring harness, and intercooler are going to be your biggest concerns, as well as getting the correct engine mounts. You can check out driftmotion.com for pricing, they're one of the most extensive sites for 1JZ/2JZ swap parts. All in all, it would probably be a little more expensive than going with the 7M, but thats to be expected when swapping in a diff motor. All depends on what you want, 7M or 1JZ.

· Where to now?
919 Posts
if we're talking stock 7m with no plans for upgrades? stick with the 7m.
if your planning on putting aftermarket performance into it? go 1j.

750 is really a good deal if you can get it for that.
-you can get a new flywheel, or take yours to a machine shop and have the 1j/2j bolt pattern drilled into it. alot of ppl have done this.

-bellhousing is gonna run 300 brand new from champion toyota.
-ecu can be had fairly reasonable if you find someone upgrading.
-harness- i beleive you can acutally run a modded 7m harness on a 1j. havnt looked into it much but i think its do-able.
-BIC has the mounts you need.

i say if you ever had/have any plans of going 1j then now it the perfect time. there are lots of drop in upgrades for the 1j that come off stock 2j's. if you ever rode in a 1j you would be jumping on the chance to get it. they are alota fun.

check out the 1j section here and and look in the faq section. should be a list on there of all of the swap-able parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.