Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK So I got really sec seconds week of feb which felt and had all the symptoms of mono. I called in 2 days. I came back to work the next week on monday and tried to work to make some money even though I was still sick. I told my boss that I had mono just so they knew that I wasn't just calling in for no reason. Well, he or someone told our union rep ( I work for Chrysler ), then they made me go see the nurse because they wanted me to go home so no one else got sick. I told the nurse I didn't want to go home that I wanted to make money blah blah blah. He said that the union wanted me tested for mono and that I have to go home.

So OK, they kick me out this day.. and the same day they send me to a medical place to get test for mono. I have to wait 2 days to get the results back, I tested positive for mono. Anyway, so the nurse talks to me again and tells me that mono isn't as contagious as they thought and if I wanted to come into work I could. He mention that I should be on some form of light duty because even a month after mono is gone you spleen could still be swollen and could possibly rupture w/ hard labor. He is afraid if he mentions this to the union that they won't let me come back for awhile so he doesn't. I come back for a couple days to work, during this time I end up doing a lot of heavy lifting. I still don't feel great, and at the end of the day my stomach hurts and I just become paranoid that I could possibly hurt myself by working. So I decide to take off 1 week 2 days to make sure everything is OK. I feel better by this time... ( I've been calling in every day as well sick because I figured they knew I had mono so it would be fine ). I go back into work.. and my badge doesn't work.

I go talk to my boss and he said I was terminated for missing too many days. Turns out, they only excused me for the days I missed that they made me stay home. I asked what if I get a doctors excuse?? He said that won't matter. Then he tries to tell me I've been tardy like 10 times, and missed tons of days prior to mono. I of course argued this because I was late 1 time ever and it was on my first Saturday of OT because the start time is diff, and I was absent only twice due to weather ( 1 of which was even consider a snow day for us ). So he said that we could go look on the computer. We looked and he realized he was wrong and I was right. So I told him all about mono and that it doesn't just get better in a few days, even told him about the spleen thing. Talked to his boss since my record wasn't bad before mono, and then he was told I could come back w/ a doctors excuse.

ANYWAY.... I might be going into the doctor today to get an excuse. I tried getting one at the same place that had me tested but they said I could only talk to a doctor if my work sent me in and paid for it. Now I have to pay out of pocket since I have no insurance just to get a doctor to get me an excuse... EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE RESULTS at this stupid other company.

I might even check into unemployment.. am I qualified ?

What are my options, can they even fire me for this?

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
I can't read all that. Let's get some cliffs.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get mono: Company has me tested come out positive : Miss couple weeks of work for it : Fired.

3,796 Posts
Your problem:
So I decide to take off 1 week 2 days to make sure everything is OK
You can't just decide to take off work you know. Maybe clear it with your boss first next time. GL.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Dude, screw that job, I got sick from mono, and I worked out 6 days a week, and got blasted fridays and saturdays every weekend. ( I didn't know I was sick with mono at that time).

Long story short, one weekend I got drunk off of 3 drinks over the course of 6 hours... Something wasn't right, I just thought I had a cold.

I stopped working out because I was nearly passing out everytime I did anything at the gym.

Fast fwd two weeks, I went to see my girlfriend now wife, all I did was walk up a small hill, and up a flight of stairs, and it took me about 10 minutes to catch my breath....

SOO, at this time I thought i had a bad sinus infection or something.

Later that night, I said that maybe I wasn't feeling well because I haven't been working out. So we ran about 5 miles. Afterwards, I felt WONDERFUL!!!

1 hour later. I was feeling SO sick, I wanted to go to the hospital, but didn't want to spend the money.

Went to the docs, found out I had mono. Asked why I felt like such CRAP.
"whatever you do, do NOT do any physical activity, or consume ANY alcohol"

Uhh.. DOoohhh....

So. From that point on. I wasn't able to workout at ALL for more than 10-15 minutes. EVERY single time I worked out or exercised for two friggin years, I got dizzy until I went see a (spelling) kenesiologist. He stated that my lymph nodes were all toxified. Not that it meant anything to me, but he did a lymphatic drainage massage, hurt like hell SO BAD. It felt like getting a really bad cold, and yuo know how your lymph nodes hurt to touch, it was like that only massing them by leeaaning into it, tons of pressure. WHOA momma, I had to learn breathing exercises to get over the pain.

I promise to God, even though I thought this was a total scam... NO JOKE, I didn't feel much different because I FELT normal before when I wasn't working out, but they said ok.. It's been a few days, go try and work out.

Feeling no difference other than sore, I was skeptical. I laced up my shoes, walked out the door, and was able to run as usual.

After about 1.5 miles. I'm like oh my God. I feel fine still.
another 1.5 miles no ilness. :O WHAAAAT???

Ever since then I've been pretty good about working out. I was able to work out for over an hour as I did before, I couldn't believe it.

SOOOOO ANYWAYS. I tell you this because, your health isn't worth working at a company thats going to be closed in 3 weeks anyways man. DO NOT exert yourself until you feel 100%.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I am sorry but your biggest problem in all this was listening to the nurse. They are not doctors. Your spleen does not rupture from lifting or hard labor.

When younger kids get mono we tell them not to participate in contact sports such as football so they dont get a knee or a hard hit in the abdomen. Even that is very very rare. Also even more important a very few percentage of mono patients get splenic enlargement anyways, so rupture is even more rare.

But the second series of taking days off without getting prior clearance and just listening to some nurse was where you messed up.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your problem:

You can't just decide to take off work you know. Maybe clear it with your boss first next time. GL.
I had no clue when I'd be feeling better. I couldn't give him an exact date, but I wanted to return to work asap. I was hoping for sooner then later.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Fuck mono. That shit laid me out for a month... even had to spend a night in the hospital.

Sounds like you just need to pay for a doctor to give you an excuse. Or you could find a new job because you'll probably be laid off in a few months anyways.

·
MSB for Life! :D
1,004 Posts
I had no clue when I'd be feeling better. I couldn't give him an exact date, but I wanted to return to work asap. I was hoping for sooner then later.
You should have told your boss ^ this before you decided to take off another 7 days of work (1 week + 2 days). If I were your boss, and you didn't tell me anything, but instead just called in sick EVERY DAY, I'd also think you were full of shit. If you ran it by me first and explained you weren't sure how long it will take to feel 100%, then it wouldn't be a surprise. But you didn't even warn them, you just called back every day to say you were "sick".

I am sorry but your biggest problem in all this was listening to the nurse. They are not doctors. Your spleen does not rupture from lifting or hard labor.

When younger kids get mono we tell them not to participate in contact sports such as football so they dont get a knee or a hard hit in the abdomen. Even that is very very rare. Also even more important a very few percentage of mono patients get splenic enlargement anyways, so rupture is even more rare.

But the second series of taking days off without getting prior clearance and just listening to some nurse was where you messed up.
Like alpha said, if a nurse told me that, I would have double-checked with the doctor before believing it to be fact.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
you can only collect unemployment if you are laid off for lack of work. getting fired for not showing up (for whatever reason) wont work...

but it sounds like they will take you back.. good luck brotha

·
Registered
212 Posts
you can only collect unemployment if you are laid off for lack of work. getting fired for not showing up (for whatever reason) wont work...

but it sounds like they will take you back.. good luck brotha
Well you still can file for unemployment. At least in Nebraska you can. If you quit here, they delay for 8 weeks I think. But yes you can still file for unemployment you wont get it right away though.

I believe all states have e-fillings now its super easy and it will tell you within a few days when you are eligible to receive benefits.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should have told your boss ^ this before you decided to take off another 7 days of work (1 week + 2 days). If I were your boss, and you didn't tell me anything, but instead just called in sick EVERY DAY, I'd also think you were full of shit. If you ran it by me first and explained you weren't sure how long it will take to feel 100%, then it wouldn't be a surprise. But you didn't even warn them, you just called back every day to say you were "sick".

Like alpha said, if a nurse told me that, I would have double-checked with the doctor before believing it to be fact.
A) I have no insurance so I have to pay out of pocket for any doctor visit. I figured they knew I had mono so it shouldn't be an issue.

B) I told my boss I had mono. I should have said that I didn't feel 100% but I also didn't want the union to keep me home w/ out pay for a long time if I started to feel better.

I hopefully am able to get my job back and if not, I filed for unemployment in-case anyways. From what it sounded like on the phone even if I was fired, since I was sick and tested for it I could still qualify. Also Wisconsin is extremely liberal so they would probably give it to me anyway.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts