Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I will be going to a corvette club autocross at an old runway on sunday. This will be the first time autocrossing with the supra, and I was just wondering if anyone had awesome tips for me from people like Dr Jonez or anyone else that has somehow made the pig (mk3) turn.

Ive got Eibach springs, Tokico HP (blue) shocks, (edit) 225/60/16 front and rear kuhmo tires, open 4.3 diff (yah sucks), cf hood (-30lb), no rear seats and battery is in the hatch.

The course will at an old runway and it will be a medium speed course because the vette owners like to open up their cars instead of those wimpy honda clubs with their 5mph course.

So how well do guys think ill do against some c5's with my shitty 225 kuhmo's, open diff and 15psi in a good old 7m? lolz?

·
Registered
454 Posts
What Kumhos? V700's or street tires? Miata's are faster than alot of C5's in the mod classes. But C5's are still fast though. If you are running street tires and it's your first time on a track other than drag, I would guess you'll be slower than most unless on R compounds. Don't know how much camber you can get in a mkiii but I would put it all in. 1/8 toe out in the front would help turn in and slightly reduce push.

·
2JZ swapped!
878 Posts
Don't floor it in a corner and hug the cones as best as you can.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
They have autox's here Sundays in the summer, I've gone and watched but never had my car in good enough running condition to enter.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clifton said:
What Kumhos? V700's or street tires? Miata's are faster than alot of C5's in the mod classes. But C5's are still fast though. If you are running street tires and it's your first time on a track other than drag, I would guess you'll be slower than most unless on R compounds. Don't know how much camber you can get in a mkiii but I would put it all in. 1/8 toe out in the front would help turn in and slightly reduce push.

hey thanks for the tips, but one q...I am assuming pull all the negative camber out not positive right? I think they have a camber angle meter I can use so maybe Ill try that out.

Hey doom...get ur f**king car together already :p

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
NegativeGeForce said:
hey thanks for the tips, but one q...I am assuming pull all the negative camber out not positive right? I think they have a camber angle meter I can use so maybe Ill try that out.

Hey doom...get ur f**king car together already :p

Man its like, kinda together, I can push the chassy around....

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
sup daniel! i want some action shots too!! if they beat ya just use the supra weight excuse ;) or it has too much power :bigthumb:

good luck!

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
You can actually put too much negative camber in most mk3s so, don't get carried away with that. I'd spend some time familiarizing myself with the chassis and what it likes for weight transfer in each part of a corner before really changing the setup around too much.

You'll probably get slaughtered by what should be slower cars your first time out. Don't worry about it, you have to get good at it. The A70 actually likes to turn and does so very well if you treat her just right and stay away from transient manuvers. Get there early and walk the course several times before they start running cars so it isn't just an ocean of cones to plow thru and get lost in on your first run.

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
because your running such narrow tires i wouldnt recommend running more then a degree or two of negative camber nay more and when your car goes naturally negative in the corners you wont have any tire on the ground. as far as tips for autocross slow is fast. nail the apexes and keep the car form pusing. with your setup the car should push like a pig so be ready. also i would put your interior n such back in becasue its going to throw you into a mod class instead of a street pepared one

some pics from last year and the first event this year

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I made it back alive from the event. The car did really good, but it has alot of body roll. It seems I need some ST sway bars. I also had to turn the boost down to 10 because the tires just spun like crazy with anything more. My best time on the course was 1:03.1xx, and most of the c5's werent going much faster then that. To give you an idea how fast the course was...I almost hit the revlimiter in 3rd gear, and the course is fairly long.

It was really fun, and I am definetly doing it again. I have hit the revlimiter alot on the course, and my AFC read 6900 rpm. Once I get some wider wheels and tires and a clutch diff and sway bars I think Ill be smoking most of the vettes :D.

Oh and one more thing. After we cleaned up the course everyone wanted to see how fast my car really was. I ended up drag racing a 04 z06 down the runway, and the distance was about 1/4 mile. I ended up winning by 1.5 cars or so on 15psi. :D

I think I suprised alot of the corvette guys there with a 20 year old car and almost no suspension work.

Some pix :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yah i want to see some of the moving pictures, see how bad you were rolling. let us know next time you go maybe we can get a small mk3 group to go.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Awesome man! I'm glad you did so well. I'm going to be going to Willow Springs Road Race course this Spring to test out my stock 90 turbo. I doubt I'll own vettes like you did but I'll do my best, show everyone that the mkiii can not only drag, but track too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ya, it can be addicting. Roadcoarses are even better. I don't know how much camber you could have got but if you have alot of body roll you could push the front to 2.5* easily. Not so much in the rear, maybe 1* tops if you have alot of power. If this is something you'll be doing often you might want to look into an extra set of wheels and tires so you can run an R compound and not wear them out on the street. I know Az has a local autoX board, you can usually find used track tires fiarly cheap that have a few runs left in them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts