Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took the supra out to the track for my first running. say to least, my set up is:

stock, intake, motor/head (264 cams), 76gts turbo, fuel system, aem, 28 slick, stock front wheels, 6spd, exedy triple metallic clutch

on the street the car was all over the place so for the first pass i was really cautious and didn't make a full out blast.

messsed up the launch (bogged hard) and re-launched it cutting a 1.9 60' and 85% throttling it and 100% in 4th gear when i felt the car was stable enough at the track. ran a 11.3 @ 130

this was probably at 23-24 psi (haven't dynod') but it did feel quite a bit faster than my 650whp dyno tune

second pass, i tried to launch it a bit harder but same (bogged) not slipping the clutch enough and RUSHED it to get back on it (trying to cut a 10) and dropped the clutch instead of slipping it again (causing the car to wheel hop like craazy)...
my friend who was watching from the bakc said the car bounced up probably 6 inches to a foot off the ground.. lol
stupid me, i felt the car hook up and stayed in it only to realize it wheel hop again and when i let off it was too late.. i heard and felt a big crunch from the back and the car started grinding down the track.. havne't really taken anything apart but the it goes in each gear okay so im sure the tranny is okay... the gears inside are probably all torn up! :(

at this setting the car definetly has a mid to low 10 second pass. hopefully i'll get back out there once the car is back up. expensive lesson to learn for my first time out :(

·
Registered
721 Posts
That sucks! I thought you should'nt get wheel hop on slicks or is that only on et streets?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good job Jason! Welcome to my world with the blown diff :rolleyes: . Still, very promising results & great trap.

·
Registered
558 Posts
That wheel hop can be a killer, it takes out driveshafts too...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha thanks guys.. it is a real shitty deal because the car is hauling ass real good right now.. bad timing!!! but it is definetly part of racing and it comes with learning experience (breaking parts- unfortunately).

it was a pretty bad night for me that time... the exedy triple metallic doesn't have much slippage and worst of all i rushed it and dumped the clutch when i bogged the start. i rushed it mainly because i wanted to run a good time even after i messed the launch up. oh well, go figure i'm a rookie

i'll definetly get back out there though. i'm gonna try to put some sort of diff back in.. lol i have a few options right now but i'll find out within the next week or so.
i'd like to put the 3.27 gear in if possible (so i can smoke steve theodore in road racing harder) haha ;)

next time i go back it'll definetly run a 10 and 135 mph traps or higher (i'm going to keep it at the same boost though 18- 23psi) then when i get used to the car i'll turn it up to 30psi and try for the 9's! need to take babysteps though :)

the stupidest part of it all was... the slicks i was running wa sa hoosier slick 28" tall. i was running a stock tire size up front and on the street it is ALLLL over the place. so i started with 20psi tire pressure in the back (hoosiers- to keep it a little more stable down the track) and i guess that was way too much tire pressure.. lol next time i'll start at 15 psi and slippp the clutch a lot longer

·
Registered
721 Posts
Was it all over the place on the track without skinnies? I am considering running et streets with stock front wheels at the track, hopefully it will stay straight.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kidbanga10 said:
Was it all over the place on the track without skinnies? I am considering running et streets with stock front wheels at the track, hopefully it will stay straight.

it was A LOT more stable at the track than the street... that's why on the first pass i just tried to feel it out and it hooked and stayed a lot more straight than on the street. you can still feel the sway but it's not TOO major

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
sorry to hear about the diff going jason. When did you get your car up and running? Last time we spoke you were still working on the wiring harness

carlo

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
balticMKIV said:
sorry to hear about the diff going jason. When did you get your car up and running? Last time we spoke you were still working on the wiring harness

carlo

hey carlo,
thanks man long time no talk, hope you're doing well! i originally got the car all started end of january beginning feb. but then again i was going through a bunch of other stuff like clutch change and what not so it wasn't running really strong until about 3 weeks ago. now i have to replace another part... lol
kinda shitty and a pricey lesson but it is a part of racing if you want to run your fastest times.
i might be coming up to the bay area beg of june, we should meet up if so! i'll call ya. how's your supra doing?
jason

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
sleeknsilver said:
hey carlo,
thanks man long time no talk, hope you're doing well! i originally got the car all started end of january beginning feb. but then again i was going through a bunch of other stuff like clutch change and what not so it wasn't running really strong until about 3 weeks ago. now i have to replace another part... lol
kinda shitty and a pricey lesson but it is a part of racing if you want to run your fastest times.
i might be coming up to the bay area beg of june, we should meet up if so! i'll call ya. how's your supra doing?
jason
jason give me a ring when you get into town. It has been awhile since we last met up. As for the supra its doing fine.

carlo

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad news...wheelhop is definately a killer especially when you stay in it. :)

Have you ever dynoed your 76mm with at any boost level at all? Did you get any solid 1/8 mile times/mph out of it?

Good luck on the re-build.

Take Care

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Sorry to hear about the bad news...wheelhop is definately a killer especially when you stay in it. :)

Have you ever dynoed your 76mm with at any boost level at all? Did you get any solid 1/8 mile times/mph out of it?

Good luck on the re-build.

Take Care

tony- i never redyno'd the 76mm turbo after the 19-20psi pull. but when i was able to turn it up to 24psi it felt a significantly faster than the 650whp pull (from seat of the pants it felt like 700-750whp).
with the 75% pass i did on the first run the mph was 130mph but if i had made a good clean pass at that boost level 23-24 psi, it should probably trap 135-140 mph?)

G

·
You can get 6-sp internals (Torsen LSD unit) for $200 used...but the problem is most likely your ring/pinion. You can buy 3.266 ring/pinion from PowerhouseRacing for $450, it will be a nice upgrade too for the track. Best of luck, live and learn....

Also consider some BattleVersion traction links....they are told to prevent wheel hop

1 - 20 of 21 Posts