Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit:
I just found this little device, after the drive home, this thing is Broken.
The little plastic thing that sticks out that the Hose connects to broke off inside the hose.
What is it, and whats it do? :)
After some reading, some kinda Valve thing for the stock BOV?
Any part numbers for this, and why would it break off like that?

For the first week or so, starting it, revving it, parkinglot driving it, all seemed good. A little misfire everynow and then at idle.

Seems to idle a bit higher now, sounds more like normal now then before.

So anyway, start it up, get some good gas in it (This thing gets to temp FAST) and jump on the freeway.

This motor is fun shit, step on the gas, give it a few secs, then you start to pull, it was great. Even up a hill in 4th gear at low rpms ohnoes: , when it started boosting, it was like "What Hill?" :rolleyes:

Well, I was gettin what sounds like a Rumble out the exhaust, but all broken up and shit, its kinda weird, Kind of like a backfire or misfire, not sure though. Happens when I let off the gas, such as changing gears, then noticed my check engine light was on. Granted, I have never driven a Turbo car before, nor one with a Open DP, so maybe it's normal to sound like that, not sure, but i dont think it should be doing it.

Check for codes............... :tear: #42
Now, I do not have a Speedo cable hooked up to the Tranny, so thats likley why its throwing this code right?

Any thoughts on the exhaust though? I'll get a video of it sometime tonight, again never ran a Turbo car with open DP, but it dosnt sound right. I was fearing a Knock sensor the entire time, but turns out to be a Speedo thing.

This "Rumble" is loud enough that it overpowers the the Engine/Flexalites and Exhaust, with targa off and on the freeway, in town, proboly can hear it a mile away.

·
Registered
929 Posts
i started my car with just an open downpipe and it idles differently than with a full exhaust on. it might just be that way because of the open downpipe. throw an exhaust on there and see if the problem is still there.

·
Trev
1,516 Posts
you will hear more cackles with an open DP than with an actual exhaust on the car. This is b/c the exhaust provides more enclosure for a longer period of time and the muffler at the end to mute it.

Trev

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, alright then.
It just seems way, WAY fuckin loud, but um, allright heh.
I'll be getting an exhaust on it early next month.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allright, well, is their a part number out their for it, I imagine the 2JZ has the same exact thing right?

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
Your car will feel different when you put an exhaust on. I tried open DP once. I didn't like it. Takes your low end away. That's why it feels like hit the gas............go. put a catback on and it'll be back to hit the gas...go

and no, the 2J stock BOV isn't like the 1J one. It's not even in the same place.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, catback will be on soon.

But damn, so what can I do to replace that Valve?
I didnt want to get a new BOV, I like how it sounds as it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the money toyota is getting for something the size of bottle cap..... i needed one too, they're rediculous with there prices lol

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I'll get it on monday.

I think my Air Filter rubbed against it, and it broke off pretty quick, so im gonna use some long vacum lines and set the valve away from the filter.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have both the ends capped or something?
I think one on the top of the BOV would have to be capped, and then the T removed from the lower section.... So it's not really Needed?

I'll proboly buy one anyway, it must have a purpose.

·
Trev
1,516 Posts
Toyota calls it a "DASH POT" according to the TSRM. It is also used on the throttle body of the 7MGTE.

Trev

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
You can remove the line with the valve on it, and cap the tee (or remove it). Just have the vacuum line going to the top of the bov.

Or, you can do what I did, and go to your local auto parts store, and get a one way valve for like $3, and put it in.

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
Someone who's gone single should have one lying around as well. I still think the aftermarket valve sounds like the best option, considering you can probably get it for less than the price to get a used one shipped to you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts