Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
Joined
·
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 1200$ later, A new set of hard pipes, New .58 exhaust hosing, Spearco IC, DP vband clamp and many cuts all over my hands. Shes running amazing.

Skip down if you want the short ver.

What I noticed so far is #1 Spool is hella faster (due mainly to the new hosing) 10 PSI on my 62-1 t04b at 3000 RPM [email protected]!

My boost comes on so damn quick almost as fast as STOCK with my exhaust dump CLOSED!!!!! When open It's as fast if not FASTER! The intercooler pipes are 2.5" from the turbo outlet (turbo outlet is 2.5" as well) to the throttle plate. The pipes and IC have made my 2.5" universal Midas cat feel like it's gone! I dont even know I have one there the way the car spools. Instead of only making 15 PSI with exhuast on I can no make 22+ PSI of boost with the exhaust on! Previous max was 15 psi.
I couldn't really tell you just the diffrence over the stock IC and my old IC pipes since I did both mods now (ic / pipes and turbo hosing) It would have been nice to see the results on the dyno but the snow just started comming down here and I have to get on a dyno before its too late :D


Car is a new car.... Especially with the dump open Boost is fast and HARD, I has 0 traction in 2nd gear and the first part of 3rd! The car doesn't fell 100 HP faster or anything, infact i'm only running 20 PSI. However, it does feel at 20 psi as it did at 24 psi when I dynoed. But I must not forget it was -2 C outside yesterday which helps a lot as well.

I still fully believe that this was the proper upgrade path.... Meaning that I got everything and the intercooler last.


However, this is one upgrade you don't want to forget about!!

NOW I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON.
 

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Great post Zazz... I have really enjoyed my Spearco as well. One of the few mods that increases power across the whole RPM range. I got hardpipes soon to come...
 

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
Joined
·
2,172 Posts
Sweet! Our setups are very similiar now, glad you like it. Were you running your xylene mix with 20psi?
 

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
Joined
·
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Xylene.. Stright Ultra 94.... I was able to get away with 20PSI with Sunoco 94 in may when it was about 20 C out on stock IC 15 BDC believe it or not and no detonation.. However, later that night I did detonate... 24PSI (spiked) and bang 5 of 6 spark plugs ceramic's where broken. OOPS... (lesson learned)

18-19 psi you can get away with on 94 simply because the spearco is more efficent and bigger turbos are more efficent... Gotta keep that timing in check though ;)

Now its time to get the Mitsu ignitor hooked up to control timing with my Eman. :D

To be honest the car feels like stock turbo but with 3x the power.. I did a test pull in 5th gear last night from 1500 RPM i floored it in 5th and watched how long it took... Soon as I hit around 3000 well I was red lined a few seconds later. (6-7 seconds maybe less?) I though I was in 3rd gear and almost went to shift! lol.. 100% more fun then the big hosing I had.
 
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Glad to hear man. I cant wait to get a new IC....

How can you tell if you're detonating? Do you have a knock sensor monitor? I mean what does pinging sound like?
 

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
Joined
·
5,950 Posts
Anyone running an upgraded turbo needs to do ic pipes as well. When I did mine it really made a huge difference in the way the car performemed. Then the asshole of a lady ran into me 30 minutes later and my pipes are bent. I need to replace them now. My pipes were 3.0" form throttle body to the snorkel port and 2.5" from the snorkel port to the inter cooler with an hks ssqbov.
:)
 

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
Joined
·
2,172 Posts
"18-19 psi you can get away with on 94 "

amen...I am gonna run 16-17psi from now on when using 94.
 

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
Joined
·
767 Posts
Here in NY Sunoco stopped selling 94. They said the manufacturer stopped making it!? Now they sell 87, 89, 92 and Ultra 93... what [email protected]!
 

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
I wonder how much of the change is the FMIC or the smaller AR .58 housing. (That is the smallest one for a T4 right?)
I need to do something like this to my T3/T4 setup. The bolt on Stage V housing is too large, and spool is way up after 4k. (then it makes awesome power, but I want more down low, and will give up a few top HP for more under the curve.)
Besides, Zazzn, your tourqe figures should be better by far than they were, and I would not be supprised to see your over all peak HP close to or even higher now with the FMIC and hardpipes in there.
Later, and nice thread.
 

·
boost freak
Joined
·
10,042 Posts
'bout time you get a real IC....

FYI- sunoco gas is crap. they use ether to help get the high octane ratings, making it quite volitile/unstable....
 

·
I've been here forever.
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Serzy said:
Here in NY Sunoco stopped selling 94. They said the manufacturer stopped making it!? Now they sell 87, 89, 92 and Ultra 93... what [email protected]!
Exit 17S off of the Southern State...100 octane unleaded and 114 leaded at the pump. :D

Congrats eric, I can't wait to see the numbers.
 
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
I usually put in Amaco/BP 93...
 

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
Joined
·
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
adjuster said:
I wonder how much of the change is the FMIC or the smaller AR .58 housing. (That is the smallest one for a T4 right?)
I need to do something like this to my T3/T4 setup. The bolt on Stage V housing is too large, and spool is way up after 4k. (then it makes awesome power, but I want more down low, and will give up a few top HP for more under the curve.)
Besides, Zazzn, your tourqe figures should be better by far than they were, and I would not be supprised to see your over all peak HP close to or even higher now with the FMIC and hardpipes in there.
Later, and nice thread.
Yeah the smaller hosing is a major improvement. The car is actually "FUN" again. instead of worrying what RPM I am at all the time I can now just flow it as long as I'm above 3000... It's a chain reaction.. 10 PSI at 3000 allows me to get up to 4000 faster which allows for more boost. VS 0 psi and 200 Sluggish hp trying to move 4000 LBS .... Oh then WOO HOO BOOST... OH shit time to shift.

drjonez said:
'bout time you get a real IC....

FYI- sunoco gas is crap. they use ether to help get the high octane ratings, making it quite volitile/unstable....
Yeah I know, however it's that or 91 since Esso is down to 91 now along with Shell and Petro canada.

Rather have their gas eat up my gas lines then blow up the engine on 91.



BTW thanks guys... I'll be going to the dyno soon as I get the time to install the mitsu ignitor for my emanage to control timing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
ZaZZn said:



Yeah I know, however it's that or 91 since Esso is down to 91 now along with Shell and Petro canada.

Rather have their gas eat up my gas lines then blow up the engine on 91.



BTW thanks guys... I'll be going to the dyno soon as I get the time to install the mitsu ignitor for my emanage to control timing.
Do you guys have Chevron stations there? We can get 94 octane from them here and its great gas.
 

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
Joined
·
2,172 Posts
So where's a good place to get gas?
 

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
Joined
·
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
94 works for me. No chevrons here..... Sunoco, shell, Petro canada, Esso and other odd no name stations.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top