Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my fun, but slow, day at Road Atlanta - I wonder what would be the best first mod for such a track?
I have stock suspension, brakes, street tires, etc.
I know the tires are the easiest mod - what should I be looking at to make most improvement in time? (Yeah, I know more time in the seat will help!)
TIA

·
Registered
682 Posts
Brakes are more than adequate on the SUpra. Just add a good set of pads. I like the Hawk Blue from MVP. The first thing is suspension. Springs, bars and shocks. Tein stuts are nice if you can afford them. I have HKS springs, TRD big ass sway bars and KYB adjustables and they work very well.

J

·
0 Posts
VickSupra said:
after my fun, but slow, day at Road Atlanta - I wonder what would be the best first mod for such a track?
I have stock suspension, brakes, street tires, etc.
I know the tires are the easiest mod - what should I be looking at to make most improvement in time? (Yeah, I know more time in the seat will help!)
TIA
Your first mod should be big wheels and sticky tires.

Jeff

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
definitely wider wheels/ sticky tires. nothing will improve your handling any more than those. well, maybe a good set of coilovers ;)

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Sticky tires will improve your possible lap times the most.

There is one problem. If you don't have enough seat time than you may not be able to use the extra grip the tires offer. Basically their limit may be higher than yours.

To truly start going fast you have to have confidence that you can exceed the limit and bring the car back. Until then you will always be running at 8 to 9 tenths, trying to stay below the limit. With race tires you may never get comfortable exploring the limit and never gaining the confidence/experience you need.

To make a long story long, race tires will give the CAR the biggest improvement, but staying on street tires may make YOU ultimately faster.

Later, Steve

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
steve that's the best advice i've heard in a long time. i hadn't thought about it that way.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
1) 6-sp swap.
2) Sticky tires.
3) TRD (or other) sway bars.
4) Coilovers.

... in order of effect and relative cost. The sway bars make a huge difference with relatively minor pocket-book damage. You may also want to toss the TRD strut bar in there to tighten the front end up a bit.

Other little things: SS brake lines, DYI front brake ducts, power steering cooler and larger oil cooler. (The dual channel units from Summit work well)

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Good recommendations guys!

Simba,
when do you think your 98 project will be done? What can we expect?

-Olivier

N

·
0 Posts
The first mod, Take a class. You are most likly not using 60% or less of the cars ablity as it sits. A course from Panoz, Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant ect... would take more time off your lap then any other one thing you could do IMO, I know it did with my times.

Vick we are setting up some private sessions for our group at a discount with Panoz soon I will keep you in the loop if your interested.

After that I agree tires would be your best bet, R compound DOTs are nice and impove a lot, slicks are a bit more tricky for a more novice driver but are the best bet for overall performance.

Also the Auto is fine at a course like RA the smaller tracks and Auto-X its a big disadvantage. We have autos run in the mid 1.30s at RA pretty offton.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
I 2nd steve. your car stock is much faster than you can drive it. Take some drivers ed classes and youwill be suprised. I stayed on street tires for 2 seasons of DE events before venturing to R compounds. The biggest problem with R compound tires is that they usually brake away a lot more abruptly than street tires, meaning you really need to know how to walk that edge and be able to control the car when you go over. Also, they make you faster. While that may sound stupid, but as you are just learning, would you prefer to learn car control at lower speeds, or make a mistake at high speeds?

I would focus on items to keep your car running for now. Even on 60 deg days, I have been able to boil my power steering fluid. Here is a link to the cooler and fan I built to fix that problem.

http://www.geocities.com/roxys_world2002/zip2.html

Investing in some other guages might not be a bad idea either. (FJO, EGT, Oil temp) Being able to drive your car home is always a nice bonus at the end of the day. Make sure a small problem doesn't cost you a lot of money.

I know steve likes the stock pads, but I have had issues fading them on tracks out here on the westcoast. spend you money on fluid and potentially a good set of pads, other than the Hawks, the Carbotech Panther Plus's are a good pad, and so are the Pagett Oranges.

Most of all, have fun. I'm glad you've enjoyed your taste of the sport so far.

Matt

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Just to be clear I wasn't recommending R compound tires -- just wider wheels and non-shitty street tires (e.g. KD's or something).

I agree that the car has far more potential than the first-time driver can exploit safely. That's why I'm sticking with the mods I have rather than screwing around modifying the car more. The driver is the bottleneck for me.
-Chris

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Steve Jarvis said:
Sticky tires will improve your possible lap times the most.

There is one problem. If you don't have enough seat time than you may not be able to use the extra grip the tires offer. Basically their limit may be higher than yours.

To truly start going fast you have to have confidence that you can exceed the limit and bring the car back. Until then you will always be running at 8 to 9 tenths, trying to stay below the limit. With race tires you may never get comfortable exploring the limit and never gaining the confidence/experience you need.

To make a long story long, race tires will give the CAR the biggest improvement, but staying on street tires may make YOU ultimately faster.

Later, Steve
I totally agree. The physical mods mentioned would make my car go around the track faster for an experienced driver. More experience on my part will make my un-modded car go around faster.
In my two trips to RA, I haven't gone off the track (much), but we had to change shorts a couple of times!
One reason I was relatively slow this time was because I let most cars go by so I could work on my lines in the corners. I usually let the cars go by on the straights so I had clear track in front and behind at the corners.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NONE said:
The first mod, Take a class. You are most likly not using 60% or less of the cars ablity as it sits. A course from Panoz, Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant ect... would take more time off your lap then any other one thing you could do IMO, I know it did with my times.

Vick we are setting up some private sessions for our group at a discount with Panoz soon I will keep you in the loop if your interested.

After that I agree tires would be your best bet, R compound DOTs are nice and impove a lot, slicks are a bit more tricky for a more novice driver but are the best bet for overall performance.

Also the Auto is fine at a course like RA the smaller tracks and Auto-X its a big disadvantage. We have autos run in the mid 1.30s at RA pretty offton.
I would certainly like to be aware of any classes. Please keep me informed.
Thanks.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
Simba,
when do you think your 98 project will be done? What can we expect?
Three years from sunday at the current rate. :p

I've been up to my eyeballs at work for the last few months, which unfortunately leaves little Supra quality time in the time budget. I'm also waiting on a few things, like wider front fenders so I can cram 295's under them, and a stock-looking widebody rear end.

I'm really trying to get the smegging thing done in time for one lap '04.

Anyway, enough thread-jacking out of me. :)

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Matt,

I never said I like the stock pads or that they wouldn't fade. They are simply the best bet for making your stock rotors live. Especially on street tires. Once you go to R compound tires and BPU+ hp, stock pads and for that matter stock rotors are out of the question. This assumes you are using all the available grip while braking. I have been running Hawk HT10's front and Porterfield R4 in the rear for over one year now. The problem is I can't get any rotors that will last. I average two cracked rotors per weekend. This problem will be solved shortly. :) BTW The fix is something that isn't currently available for the Supra. Stay tuned. :D

Later, Steve

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
steve, you suggesting you have a source for carbon brakes? :D that would be nice to hear! though, just a guess :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts