Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello(newbie), I am looking at building a 7mgte, My current goal is to get it driving without worrying about rodknock or BHG and eventually working my way upto 350-400hp over a few years, the head and block(top and bottom) appear to be in good shape just sat for ahile, I want to do this the right way the 1st time. I know to get head surfaced, i know to replace stock oil cooler and delete the banjo bolt, I'm planning on ordering full top and bottom gasket/seal kits, a metal head gasket(idk which one), ARP studs/install washers,A new aisin oil pump,a good set of used oil squirters, clevite rod/main bearing set, a high flow oil cooler(idk which yet), Aisin water pump, i heard about the walbro 255, and a gates timing kit, aftermarket BOV, turbo piping, new injectors, and spark plugs, and eventually eagle rods/pistons or maybe new oem ones, also planning on doing a 3inch exhaust system. If you have any tips, part suggestions, wisdom to give etc please tell me i will greatly appreciate it. Sorry for long post I am new to this forum thing.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
399 Posts
Welcome to the group. Do you actually have the car and engine, or are still in the gathering knowledge phase?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sure. Pictures here are welcome and preferred because it makes it much easier for people to take a look and help out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I'm assuming that the engine you're showing is from this car, meaning right now there is no engine/transmission in it? Or do you have a second engine you're putting in?

Obviously you'll need a fender, unless that one inside the car is in great shape. Why did they remove it?

Were the windows rolled up or was the interior left to the elements?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pictures. I'm assuming that the engine you're showing is from this car, meaning right now there is no engine/transmission in it? Or do you have a second engine you're putting in?

Obviously you'll need a fender, unless that one inside the car is in great shape. Why did they remove it?

Were the windows rolled up or was the interior left to the elements?
Covered in tarp windows where , whole trans there idk conditon if broken, going to manual swap, whole motor all there but disassembled as seen here, interior looks good just passanger window is down but covered with tarp. Has surface rust and a rust hole in the spare tire are in trunk.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it has a hole in the spare tire well, that means it had the tail lights/ hatch seals rot out. (common issue). This causes the well and the fenders to fill up with water. The problem is that the rust may be more extensive if it got to the point of making a hole. That grass is deep, have you looked under the car yet?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it has a hole the spare tire well, that means it had the tail lights/ hatch seals rot out. (common issue). This cause the well and the fenders to fill up with water. The problem is that the rust may be more extensive if it got to the point of making a hole. That grass is deep, have you looked under the car yet?
Havent bought it yet, will be when i go see it with a jack. Seller said last time he looked it looked fairly clean.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok, as long as you're going into this with your eyes wide open, knowing you will have to spend a good amount of money to just make it road worthy again.

I would bring a good car battery with you when you go back. See if you can roll the window up. Tarps should be temporary, not permanent for storage. That interior shows that the weather made it inside, which would make me wonder why the windows weren't rolled up.

Also, find any history you can. Did the current owner buy it as a project car, in the same way you're buying it now? Was it just a daily driver hand me down that got too expensive to fix? Does the car smell bad inside? All that stuff. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, as long as you're going into this with your eyes wide open, knowing you will have to spend a good amount of money to just make it road worthy again.

I would bring a good car battery with you when you go back. See if you can roll the window up. Tarps should be temporary, not permanent for storage. That interior shows that the weather made it inside, which would make me wonder why the windows weren't rolled up.

Also, find any history you can. Did the current owner buy it as a project car, in the same way you're buying it now? Was it just a daily driver hand me down that got too expensive to fix? Does the car smell bad inside? All that stuff. :)
He bought it as a project car, disassembled motor but doesnt have time anymore(luckily i do)(about 2yrs of pure focused time/savings into car). Also how would i do that without the motor in the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

How would i be able to undo the carpet and expose the floor panel to check for rust.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The back area you can lift the up but it would still be hard. From inside the car just feel for soft spots on the floor. But honestly, your best bet is to crawl up underneath and take a look if you can. You'd have to pull the seats out to look under the carpeting otherwise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The back area you can lift the up but it would still be hard. From inside the car just feel for soft spots on the floor. But honestly, your best bet is to crawl up underneath and take a look if you can. You'd have to pull the seats out to look under the carpeting otherwise.
Cant i lift up the carpeting infront of the seats?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Possibly but its pretty well secured, or should be. The carpeting goes up and over the transmission tunnel , underneath the console, so you can't peel that back. You would have to take the kick panels and door sill panels out just to be able to pull it back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

How would i do that if the motor isnt in it?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts