Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
360 Posts
That would depend if they left the wiring harness in I guess, which is also a big deal. If it hasn't been left in place, you're really buying a pure project car. It might not be a deal breaker, but it has the potential to be a major headache. :)

Just be cautious. If you find something like a really big rust hole, missing wiring harnesses, obvious frame or steering damage, factor that into the purchase. Don't be afraid to walk away. It does you no good to spend $1000 on a car that you're going to have to dump $5K just to make road worthy. Assuming you could spend that much, you would be better served finding one that you're able to drive from day 1.

At the end of the day, this will all come down to how much money you can spend, how much work you can do yourself, do you have a place to work on the car with tools, etc. Everyone is different :) If you feel like it's manageable and you can handle it, jump in!

·
Registered
832 Posts
feels like its "talk yourself into a supra" week

1k is way to much for this basket case IMHO

I think you actually have to get a car home like this to absorb what a turd it is, and how much work it needs. I suspect that is why its sitting with a tarp on it and about to be sold that way. reality sets in when its in your garage, and from the looks of it, that reality is going to be time consuming and expensive

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
feels like its "talk yourself into a supra" week

1k is way to much for this basket case IMHO

I think you actually have to get a car home like this to absorb what a turd it is, and how much work it needs. I suspect that is why its sitting with a tarp on it and about to be sold that way. reality sets in when its in your garage, and from the looks of it, that reality is going to be time consuming and expensive
Well, going to stll go look at it atleast,if rust isnt to bad etc i'll buy, maybe i can work em down. Motor componates looking prettygood imo/in my mechanic father op. I have (2yrs of time/income focus on a car once i get 1.) Just gradauted, have a decent paying construction job, no bills/rent to pay for next 2yrs. Keeps me occupied after work and a more constructive hobby.

·
Registered
360 Posts
See, there you go. Your situation may allow you to spend the time and effort.

I think @madisonMK3 was referring to the "talk yourself into" week because there was a guy trying to buy a MK4 in Brazil that had been left in the woods for a few years. In that case, the seller still wanted $40K and there was much back and forth between the condition of the car and local laws etc etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
See, there you go. Your situation may allow you to spend the time and effort.

I think @madisonMK3 was referring to the "talk yourself into" week because there was a guy trying to buy a MK4 in Brazil that had been left in the woods for a few years. In that case, the seller still wanted $40K and there was much back and forth between the condition of the car and local laws etc etc.
Well atmost the engine looks pretty good, maybe i could use it as a parts car and buy a cleaner Turbo shell/NA shell and swap it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Now THAT happens a lot around here. Having a parts car is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
832 Posts
if your in that position, good job no bills etc.....save up my man and get something you can enjoy while you tinker

a few months and you could buy a running supra

trust me, I know its hard when you have the $ and boom there is a supra close by

Im glad you are considering it a parts car (depending on condition).

also, this plan of yours is way better than say buying a 30k camaro with a loan and high insurance. your time and effort can show some return when you fix up a basket case supra and suddenly have a driving car after tons of work and $. dont get me wrong nobody is taking a 1k car and making money. but anyone who is 18-24 buying a 30k new car just literally pissed away a house down payment of cash in depreciation / insurance (over 6 yr period)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
if your in that position, good job no bills etc.....save up my man and get something you can enjoy while you tinker

trust me, I know its hard when you have the $ and boom there is a supra close by

also, this plan of yours is way better than say buying a 30k camaro with a loan and high insurance. your time and effort can show some return when you fix up a basket case supra and suddenly have a driving car after tons of work and $. dont get me wrong nobody is taking a 1k car and making money. but anyone who is 18-24 buying a 30k new car just literally pissed away a house down payment of cash in depreciation / insurance (over 6 yr period)
I just hit 18:p

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
@Ogg1es

Point blank,

If you have no bills, no payments of any sort. Sinking it into a car is the most detrimental thing you can do as you will NEVER get that money back (honestly it is beyond stupid) ever.

You are setting yourself up for financial issues near term and long term. Even if you had Warrent Buffet income, if your ROI is zero, then you need to rethink your priorities.

These cars are not cheap to maintain. The price tag is astronomical for a restore or restomod.

But the most important part is TIME. Money can be recooped. Time cannot.

This of course does not apply for business venture.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Also would you say the motor is atleast rebuildable?, looks better than most ive seen imo thats at its begining stages.
@Ogg1es

Point blank,

If you have no bills, no payments of any sort. Sinking it into a car is the most detrimental thing you can do as you will NEVER get that money back (honestly it is beyond stupid) ever.

You are setting yourself up for financial issues near term and long term. Even if you had Warrent Buffet income, if your ROI is zero, then you need to rethink your priorities.

These cars are not cheap to maintain. The price tag is astronomical for a restore or restomod.

But the most important part is TIME. Money can be recooped. Time cannot.

This of course does not apply for business venture.
Thats why i plan to put a fiancial/time( but not a full focus of both) on this car for about 1-1.5yrs, 2 if the progress is good if it isnt running stock by then i am going to give it break. Putting time and money into somthing i want rather than me sittting after work and playing videogames or doing nothing too. For work/future oppurtunity, i am working at my fathers construction buissness, learning the ropes to eventually get my own crew under him then take his place. I already have money set aside for a trade school oppurtunity for either welding or hvac certifications too as a back up, also savings for an apartment and a good part of my budget will continue to go towards those too during the build.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I already have money set aside for a trade school oppurtunity for either welding or hvac certifications too as a back up
Take care of this well before considering diving into something like what you have pictured here. From what I am looking at here I would consider this nothing more than a parts car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did the same thing you're looking at doing at age 16, 18, 19, 20, and now 23, except my supras were in MUCH better shape than this car and actually ran when I bought them, but as mk3 supras do what mk3 supras do best, problems came up and I ended up selling 4 due to it literally being financially impossible, and most of all a time management impossibility. Just my story.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I did the same thing you're looking at doing at age 16, 18, 19, 20, and now 23, except my supras were in MUCH better shape than this car and actually ran when I bought them, but as mk3 supras do what mk3 supras do best, problems came up and I ended up selling 4 due to it literally being financially impossible, and most of all a time management impossibility. Just my story.

May i ask what problems did you run into?

·
Registered
159 Posts
May i ask what problems did you run into?
Replacing every suspension item on the car, 3 blown head gaskets and 2 rod knocks, and endless diagnosing of small problems, electrical harness repair, vacuum leaks, electrical equipment failure. I mean the list is endless. It's a great learning expirence don't get me wrong, and it is worth driving it. But if you really want to do this, i advise a little better in shape car.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
We go back to this is a 28-33 year old car with 28-33 years of time attacking it.

Meaning electrical, small idiotic stuff that was never an issue before is.
Mechanical stuff
suspension.

Power is the LAST thing to be considering.

Technically speaking, this cars have to be restored to get them running stead fast. AFTER the restore than maybe upping the power. And by restore i am not talking about showroom quality. I am talking about being reliable regardless of weather or outside influences. If you cannot take the car cross country with zero worry. Then forget upping the power.

That should be the next list we come up,

Restore stages!

Stage 1: Basic bolt on to restore back to close to OEM
Stage 2: Motor
Stage 3: Suspension
Stage 4: Electrical rewiring
Stage 5: Full frame painting/restore.

I can see stage 5 running 20k (including all the previous stages).

·
Registered
832 Posts
at 18 you got a lot working against you....

say you buy a nicer one and just plan to enjoy it and maintain it. sounds reasonable, a 5 k supra stays 5k....

but your young, going to beat it up in all sorts of ways and make rookie mistakes. don't take that the wrong way we have all been there and 18-24 is reckless just in general. throw in a car and some testosterone... shit happens ;) and also your insurance will not be cheap, and you will to cover a car like that full coverage

a basket case is going to eat a ton of time in both fixing and learning how to fix. this is time you could be investing in your trade skills / education / dating life etc . unless your going into mechanics or electronics (two areas you need proficient understanding to keep an 80's car on the road) your wasting time gaining skills you are not applying to your job/ income skill set

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Replacing every suspension item on the car, 3 blown head gaskets and 2 rod knocks, and endless diagnosing of small problems, electrical harness repair, vacuum leaks, electrical equipment failure. I mean the list is endless. It's a great learning expirence don't get me wrong, and it is worth driving it. But if you really want to do this, i advise a little better in shape car.

We go back to this is a 28-33 year old car with 28-33 years of time attacking it.

Meaning electrical, small idiotic stuff that was never an issue before is.
Mechanical stuff
suspension.

Power is the LAST thing to be considering.

Technically speaking, this cars have to be restored to get them running stead fast. AFTER the restore than maybe upping the power. And by restore i am not talking about showroom quality. I am talking about being reliable regardless of weather or outside influences. If you cannot take the car cross country with zero worry. Then forget upping the power.

That should be the next list we come up,

Restore stages!

Stage 1: Basic bolt on to restore back to close to OEM
Stage 2: Motor
Stage 3: Suspension
Stage 4: Electrical rewiring
Stage 5: Full frame painting/restore.

I can see stage 5 running 20k (including all the previous stages).
Power/cosmetics is last on my list, 1st up in my list was restoring the motor to as near stock as possible but with aftermarket better parts. Fix toyotas mistakes(Oil pressure/and HG), then, get suspension work, get wiring done, restore any bits on frame that is needed. I and my father who knows alot about restoring cars will be doing all the labor work besides machine shop work.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts