Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
at 18 you got a lot working against you....

say you buy a nicer one and just plan to enjoy it and maintain it. sounds reasonable, a 5 k supra stays 5k....

but your young, going to beat it up in all sorts of ways and make rookie mistakes. don't take that the wrong way we have all been there and 18-24 is reckless just in general. throw in a car and some testosterone... shit happens ;) and also your insurance will not be cheap, and you will to cover a car like that full coverage

a basket case is going to eat a ton of time in both fixing and learning how to fix. this is time you could be investing in your trade skills / education / dating life etc . unless your going into mechanics or electronics (two areas you need proficient understanding to keep an 80's car on the road) your wasting time gaining skills you are not applying to your job/ income skill set
Me and my father who is experianced in car restoration/machanics will be helping me through the rebuild.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just hit 18:p
ABORT.
This shell is not worth it at all. You're going to have to replace all of the suspension, most of the rubber bits, interior is shit, and it's likely rusted out.
Assuming you have a daily driver already that is reliable and cheap to maintain, I'd recommend looking at mid 2000s Honda/Acura cars to play with. You can find bone stock Acura RSX-S or TSX for like 5-7k, 2006+ Honda Civic Si too. Those cars have one of the best engines Honda has ever made in it, and a nice six speed transmission.
Won't have to go about replacing everything throwing money away, allowing you to save for actual power upgrades instead of paying through the nose just to make it road worthy.
Save up for a decent turbo kit, injectors, and tuning. Stock block motors with valve springs upgraded can hit 800whp, 400whp all day every day as a reliable driver's car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like you've got a plan, I mean here we are telling you not to do what we've all done, yet we still enjoy our cars. If you're gonna do it reguardless, talk the guy down a little more, and be super patient. Don't give up, cuz it's gonna take a long time.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
ABORT.
This shell is not worth it at all. You're going to have to replace all of the suspension, most of the rubber bits, interior is shit, and it's likely rusted out.
Assuming you have a daily driver already that is reliable and cheap to maintain, I'd recommend looking at mid 2000s Honda/Acura cars to play with. You can find bone stock Acura RSX-S or TSX for like 5-7k, 2006+ Honda Civic Si too. Those cars have one of the best engines Honda has ever made in it, and a nice six speed transmission.
Won't have to go about replacing everything throwing money away, allowing you to save for actual power upgrades instead of paying through the nose just to make it road worthy.
Save up for a decent turbo kit, injectors, and tuning. Stock block motors with valve springs upgraded can hit 800whp, 400 whp all day every day as a reliable driver's car.
Already have a daily: 05 civic LX special edition.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
While I will acknowledge that this is looking like the most promising "newbie" thread I've seen in quite some time, I have to address the following:

-You have a game plan. You have a plan for your education, your employment, your budget, your logistics, and your dwelling. Consider me impressed, we don't see a whole lot of that around here from people many years your senior. However don't let that boost your ego, and keep yourself humble.

-You have a daily driver, and a nice, reliable one at that. This is by far the most important piece of advice I give to people starting out their journey in the Supra world. I've owned these cars nearly as long as you've been alive (Good Lord I feel old just SAYING that haha, where has the time gone?!), and I learned a long time ago, to have a backup car at all times.

-You have a mentor in your father. That's something not all of us have been so fortunate to have, in the family or otherwise. Consider that a blessing. However, we all need to be realistic about our specialties and skills in life. Some things, like paint and bodywork, in terms of restoration, seem to be the same (or similar) between generations of cars. Other things, like electrical, for example, can throw even experienced folks for a head scratcher. Keep that in mind, you'll both be learning things, I absolutely PROMISE you that.

-On that note, buy yourself a TSRM and TEWD for your car. Tools are also important, but generally speaking, I can fit almost everything I need to tear apart a Supra in my pockets of a pair of cargo pants, not at all joking. They're blissfully easy on the tool budget, at least until you start digging into diagnostic work. Either way, a car like this will either make a mechanic / diagnostician out of you, or you will give up at some point.

I appreciate the enthusiasm either way, but that WILL be tested, trust me on this one. If you do indeed go down this route, don't be afraid to examine whether or not it's all worth it to you or not. Financially, restoring cars is a game for people who are better off than most. I'm not at all saying that you can't do it (hey, God gave us all two hands and a brain, right? Gotta start somewhere...), but it will be an uphill battle.

It will be a learning experience. It will cause you to question yourself. It will test your resolve. It will cause you to make foolish choices. It will hurt you. It will draw blood form time to time. It will teach you new curse words. It will make you new friends. It will lose you friends. These cars are a commitment. I've been playing with my current (and likely last) Supra for about... 12 years now. I'm still not done, and I've had every opportunity to give it a great home, the best parts, and all the attention and time I could muster. Nothing has really gotten in the way of that, and, well, if you've seen my car as it sits right now? You'd probably never know that. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if possible, I'd recommend you and your dad come out for Supras in Vegas. There's a subsection in this forum that you'll find. There, you'll see every type of Supra imaginable, from the basket-case homebrew cars like mine, to thrashed ridden hard and put away wet, to show queens, to cars that have more time and money put into them than most Italian exotics. Either way kid, you show promise. Don't waste that. :)

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
360 Posts
^^ @te72 Supras in Vegas is still considered ON for this year? I know it's a ways out and hopefully life is normal again by then. I for one would love to hit it this year and its a 4-5 hour drive for me regularly. I haven't driven mine beyond 20 miles from home in 20 years. Funny though, I drove it cross country from FL to CA when I moved here in 97.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
While I will acknowledge that this is looking like the most promising "newbie" thread I've seen in quite some time, I have to address the following:

-You have a game plan. You have a plan for your education, your employment, your budget, your logistics, and your dwelling. Consider me impressed, we don't see a whole lot of that around here from people many years your senior. However don't let that boost your ego, and keep yourself humble.

-You have a daily driver, and a nice, reliable one at that. This is by far the most important piece of advice I give to people starting out their journey in the Supra world. I've owned these cars nearly as long as you've been alive (Good Lord I feel old just SAYING that haha, where has the time gone?!), and I learned a long time ago, to have a backup car at all times.

-You have a mentor in your father. That's something not all of us have been so fortunate to have, in the family or otherwise. Consider that a blessing. However, we all need to be realistic about our specialties and skills in life. Some things, like paint and bodywork, in terms of restoration, seem to be the same (or similar) between generations of cars. Other things, like electrical, for example, can throw even experienced folks for a head scratcher. Keep that in mind, you'll both be learning things, I absolutely PROMISE you that.

-On that note, buy yourself a TSRM and TEWD for your car. Tools are also important, but generally speaking, I can fit almost everything I need to tear apart a Supra in my pockets of a pair of cargo pants, not at all joking. They're blissfully easy on the tool budget, at least until you start digging into diagnostic work. Either way, a car like this will either make a mechanic / diagnostician out of you, or you will give up at some point.

I appreciate the enthusiasm either way, but that WILL be tested, trust me on this one. If you do indeed go down this route, don't be afraid to examine whether or not it's all worth it to you or not. Financially, restoring cars is a game for people who are better off than most. I'm not at all saying that you can't do it (hey, God gave us all two hands and a brain, right? Gotta start somewhere...), but it will be an uphill battle.

It will be a learning experience. It will cause you to question yourself. It will test your resolve. It will cause you to make foolish choices. It will hurt you. It will draw blood form time to time. It will teach you new curse words. It will make you new friends. It will lose you friends. These cars are a commitment. I've been playing with my current (and likely last) Supra for about... 12 years now. I'm still not done, and I've had every opportunity to give it a great home, the best parts, and all the attention and time I could muster. Nothing has really gotten in the way of that, and, well, if you've seen my car as it sits right now? You'd probably never know that. Unfortunately that's the reality of the situation.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if possible, I'd recommend you and your dad come out for Supras in Vegas. There's a subsection in this forum that you'll find. There, you'll see every type of Supra imaginable, from the basket-case homebrew cars like mine, to thrashed ridden hard and put away wet, to show queens, to cars that have more time and money put into them than most Italian exotics. Either way kid, you show promise. Don't waste that. :)
Thank you for your kind words and support, yes i know im lucky and greatful too have a father/and a father in general who is very knowlagable in building/restoring cars(mechanics in general), though, we both dont know much in how to tune standalone in a car. The civic was a handmedown from my stepmom, she bought it new in 05. Im young, i have the drive to do it, i have the time/dedicated budget amount from each paycheck to do it for the next 1.5-2yrs. Though, the engine and interior to appear to be in good condition, we dont know about any of the electrical condition, we dont know if the auto trans works(wish it was a manual, i'll swap eventually), pretty much the entire suspention(excuse my poor spelling) will need to be replaced too, the body also has rust in common spots too. Wish my start was a bit better off but, better than some i guess. Im willing to learn, im also lucky to have the internet as a recource too, lastly when it comes to the things i own and do. I like doing it the rightway, with alot of attention to detial even if it takes more time. Again thank you. :)

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
360 Posts
Awesome! Also, remember in a Facebook age. The forum concept goes all the way back to the mid 90s. My guess is you'll probably find more detailed and useful information from simple questions here than you might on the more popular social media sites. Also, some of the guys here are also on supramania.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Awesome! Also, remember in a Facebook age. The forum concept goes all the way back to the mid 90s. My guess is you'll probably find more detailed and useful information from simple questions here than you might on the more popular social media sites. Also, some of the guys here are also on supramania.com
Im in fb groups, i have an account on supramania too.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Dumeinao, so far so good, last I talked to Miguel about it. As the crow flies it's only about 8 or 9 hours for us, but we tend to take the scenic route, and take about 20 or so hours to get there, it's a great time!

Ogg1es, paragraph spacing would make it a lot easier on us old timers haha, a wall of text is kinda hard to keep up with at times. May I ask, the budget for this car, is it a set amount that you have set aside right now, or is it part of a budget from future paychecks? Reason I ask, perhaps you could find a better starting point. There's an old saying in the Ferrari world that the most expensive Ferrari is also the cheapest Ferrari, and vice versa. ;)

Also, sometimes budget isn't even the hurdle. I'm blessed enough to be able to afford my car, but money isn't what my issue is right now... issues pop up that throwing money at the car won't always solve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Dumeinao, so far so good, last I talked to Miguel about it. As the crow flies it's only about 8 or 9 hours for us, but we tend to take the scenic route, and take about 20 or so hours to get there, it's a great time!

Ogg1es, paragraph spacing would make it a lot easier on us old timers haha, a wall of text is kinda hard to keep up with at times. May I ask, the budget for this car, is it a set amount that you have set aside right now, or is it part of a budget from future paychecks? Reason I ask, perhaps you could find a better starting point. There's an old saying in the Ferrari world that the most expensive Ferrari is also the cheapest Ferrari, and vice versa. ;)

Also, sometimes budget isn't even the hurdle. I'm blessed enough to be able to afford my car, but money isn't what my issue is right now... issues pop up that throwing money at the car won't always solve.
I am looking at putting 10-15k into this idea,

if the body is too rusted i will be finding a seperate cleaner shell and use the supra i am looking at as a parts car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

My budget is just a set % per paycheck for saving toward any machine work and parts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I am looking at putting 10-15k into this idea,

if the body is too rusted i will be finding a seperate cleaner shell and use the supra i am looking at as a parts car.
The 7mgte it comes with is in good shape for a rebuild and is complete.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

For my 350-400hp street 7mgte supra, what modifications to the oiling system/engine would you recomend? I want to do this right the first time making reliable power without worrying of rodknock or bhg etc.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is there any particular reason you want a MkIII? Would you be open to other chassis? What is your actual end goal for the car? Track (what kind)? Daily driver? Show?

I've owned many modified cars, and through the years I've learned that a clean chassis is a priority and worth the cost to get one instead of trying to 'fix' one. Generally, modified cars sell for a lot less than a OEM stock version. You can find great deals on FB from what I've been told (I don't use it). If you can find someone else's project car that has the chassis and interior you want, you can likely low ball them down a good bit and have the chassis shipped to you (it's a lot cheaper than you think).

If you want clean interior, look for more modern cars (made in your life time lol). You're going to pay through the nose for anything in good condition for a MkIII or MkIV.
1. Parts are disco'd
2. People that grew up wanting these cars have careers now and money

Unless you're ok with next to no interior in good shape (or gutted), a lot of welding and learning how to paint, you're going to end up with an endless project that will just frustrate you because it will never seem to end.

I saw you mentioned learning how to tune. You're going to have to learn this or pay someone to tune for you, because OEM ECUs don't last and piggyback stuff like SAFC is really low resolution garbage. Does your dad know how to tune a carb and read plugs? Have you thought about buying a used drift chassis and dropping a V8 in it? They pop up on Zilvia all the time for cheap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Is there any particular reason you want a MkIII? Would you be open to other chassis? What is your actual end goal for the car? Track (what kind)? Daily driver? Show?

I've owned many modified cars, and through the years I've learned that a clean chassis is a priority and worth the cost to get one instead of trying to 'fix' one. Generally, modified cars sell for a lot less than a OEM stock version. You can find great deals on FB from what I've been told (I don't use it). If you can find someone else's project car that has the chassis and interior you want, you can likely low ball them down a good bit and have the chassis shipped to you (it's a lot cheaper than you think).

If you want clean interior, look for more modern cars (made in your life time lol). You're going to pay through the nose for anything in good condition for a MkIII or MkIV.
1. Parts are disco'd
2. People that grew up wanting these cars have careers now and money

Unless you're ok with next to no interior in good shape (or gutted), a lot of welding and learning how to paint, you're going to end up with an endless project that will just frustrate you because it will never seem to end.

I saw you mentioned learning how to tune. You're going to have to learn this or pay someone to tune for you, because OEM ECUs don't last and piggyback stuff like SAFC is really low resolution garbage. Does your dad know how to tune a carb and read plugs? Have you thought about buying a used drift chassis and dropping a V8 in it? They pop up on Zilvia all the time for cheap.
I want a mk3, love its looks, the way it sounds, the 80s interior, im planning on using white supra as parts car, car has everything in it, motor is pretty nice base to start on, didnt have rodknock or bhg from what i see. Looking to make a 400hp street car in the end. I am going to rebuild this 7mgte, and likely find someones blown/rodknocked 7 non turbo manual car as a shell for the 7mgte because on FB around here i see well taken care of mk3s(interior/bodywise) that people are finally selling due to rodknock/bhg that they want to get rid of.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think you understand how expensive it is going to be to replace all the rubber bits on the car that have been discontinued. You're buying a busted ass shell, and have an engine in parts. Then you have to find a decent shell for cheap (niche market) and you're going to put a known knee capped engine platform in it. Throwing money at a problem when you can sell the parts you have and buy a 1JZ or 2JZ and not even have to worry about the motor letting go.

I get wanting to use the MkIII chassis for its looks. Have you considered importing one? You can find low mileage clean examples for less than 10k. Some of them are already JZ swapped too.

Sometimes you have to spend money to save money. Just have to save it first, instead of spending it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
For doing a full rebuild/400hp street build, what oiling/water system mods/upgrades should i do to to try and avoid rodknock/oil starvation.

·
Registered
832 Posts
not a thing. you could shim the oil pump. you could waste all kinds of energy and $ installing a thermostatic oil cooling system.

run an oem radiator/ water pump / hydraulic oem fan clutch. stock stuff is all fine for 400 whp

the original engine, built to OEM specs will handle that all day long. provided you are not detonating and have a proper tune. only thing wrong from the factory was loose head bolts due to an incorrect spec used at assembly. if you install just apr studs with the oem gasket it will hold that fine.

you don't even need the turbo motors piston squirters to live at that level. im running a 7mge block with gte pistons (no oil cooling) and have exactly 0 concerns about my oil system at that power level

7m gets the bad wrap as a rod knocker. most (if not all) originate from a few super easy mistakes
1. no enough oil in the motor and whipping around corners at high speed, starving the pickup and loosing pressure. the old 7m like to leak. forget to check the oil, leave the house with 2 qt low and do some 80 mph sweeping corners at 6k rpm. a rookie supra (or any car owner) will make the first 2 mistakes with a car that consumes oil (leaks/burns/combo)

2. motor blows a head gasket and makes milkshake oil. car then drives X miles on this oil, beating the piss out of the pump and bearings. and then it knocks

but I have to be real. getting a car in pieces and not knowing the platform is a huge pain in the ass. I picked up an 1976 mgb like that a while back. trust me, I know cars / what to do and have close to 3 decades of experience working on engines ....there were so many unique "british" things to learn about the platform. and that mgb is like the most simple platform on earth, carburated, simple mechanical distributor, etc. working on that simple platform recently has really made me aware of 2 things for the supra. 1. it is extremely fucking complex / complicated 2. replacement parts are just expensive. I mean for the mg I bought new tires at $31 each, new rubber brake hoses @6 each, new water pump was around $20. I could go on and on. with the supra all that crap is just so expensive and just not supported like other platforms.

when i was your age (here we go....) back in 1998 the supra I first bought was 11 years old. $1400, turbo manual. had a "bad clutch" but really just needed the clutch master. it was so cheep back then compared to now. you are jumping into a game dominated by guys like me now. we have disposable $ and will snipe the $500 parts cars right out from under you while you are sleeping saturday monring :) this is why things like the dam cps sensor are $200 used, or why a non cracked dash is over $500. its a tough crowd to join at 18

41 - 60 of 70 Posts