Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out last night for a nice cruise around town and to meet up with friends and such as the car is not fully tuned yet with the new setup. I really wanted to cruise the car though as we have been having gorgeous weather here lately, so went ahead and took the top off and left it at home as my stereo system doesn't sound quite as good when I put the top over the sub in the back. :)

Anyway, went and met up with some friends talking about racing and such and taking the car out for a couple test rides. After being there for a little while talking quite a few bikes come into the parking lot. My friend of course goes over to them asking to race my Supra and they all point to this bored, stroked, stretched, etc Hayabusa. I was told that the guy "in so many words" said that it would pretty much be a waste of his time as he would kill me, but he would go ahead and do it. Oh well.

So, anyway my friend confirmed the race and I proceeded to go ahead and turn up the boost 1.5lbs...which got the car to 28lbs. I wasn't sure if it would of been enough or not, but I knew it would definitely be fun either way...so, I was game. :) I haven't tried that territory yet (28lbs) on the new setup and I definitely didn't want to go too far with it all at once, so I decided against 30lbs and stuck to 28lbs. I really wanted to make sure the tune is good there first before I tried anything higher.

After all is said and done we got in about 3 races or so back to back...all of them started out at around 55-60mph or so. The first one I started out at 5k rpm trying to make it where the tires don't spin so much and it seemed to work ok, but the bike got in front about 1.5 cars through my second, 3rd I stabilized him and then 4th I was catching him very fast except one problem...there was a bridge coming up at the bottom of this hill and it was kind of wavery, so I had to slow down...as much as I didn't want to as I was about to go around him I had to. :(

Second race I started out at 5500rpm this time and the car did much better here (keep in mind this was my first race on this new setup, so didn't really know for sure what to expect) as he only got out about 3/4 of a car or so this time and then 3rd stabilized and was catching a bit and then 4th I pulled up and just went around him and slowed back down.

Third race I just tried 6,300rpm and when we started he couldn't get past my door this time through 2nd, 3rd I pulled and then 4th I pulled harder and slowed back down. I tried to race one more time with him, but he was finished. Oh well. We did have about 15 cars or so following us and a half dozen bikes, so I slowed down to try some of them, but they didn't seem like they wanted to run. We all pulled off on the exit and we then went back to the parking lot a little later on.

All in all I had a blast trying out the new setup. It is the first time I have ever raced it against anything, but I learned where I need to take off at now. :) Maybe next time I will be ready to race and I will have the top on the car too. :)

WHAT THE AEM LOG SHOWED:

*Started about 55-60mph and went to around 151mph
*99% throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear (same as 100%...that is what the log shows for all the AEM gurus out there) and then 4th gear was 99% throttle for about .1 seconds and then 90%, 80%, 70% all the way down to 46.3% by the time I let out of 4th. Since I turned up the boost I wasn't sure what it was going to do with the big 4th gear load on the car, so I just wanted to be safe with it.
*60mph - 150mph was about 7.2 seconds
*AFR was about 11.5:1...a little lean for my taste as I like to run about 11.1 most of the time
*Boost was an average 28lbs
*Air Intake Temp went up to about 119 degrees in 4th
*Timing was about 17-18 degrees at high RPM

I am now going to try to go ahead and go to 30lbs of boost, but in the near future will be around 35-37lbs of boost. All in all the turbo seems to be pulling pretty strong though.

I just thought I would share my first encounters with the new setup.

Take Care

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
awesome !!!Did the rider of the Busa say anything after you shut his mouth?? heheh . Should of told him you were taking it easy and only on 28 psi.. lol

o p.s. Wrong section to post this ;)

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
Very nice .. I had a similar bike experience and after two races I was braking to slow down and talk to him and as hard as I could brake it didnt matter it seemed like he had stopped on the dot and got off the interstate and was no where to be found .. him and his boy ..

But how much HP do you expect to be pushing with your new setup?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Looks awesome Tony. My aem is going in VERY soon. Perhaps I might need a tune.

Getting a bit sidetracked, at T2k7, I believe I saw you pulled over heading to the track on Saturday.I puleld over and walked to the car, but didnt mention who I was or anything. I heard your rearend went or something and then I saw you with the truck pull into the track. Good thing all is well though!

Nice races! Next time, get a VIDEO!!!

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome !!!Did the rider of the Busa say anything after you shut his mouth?? heheh . Should of told him you were taking it easy and only on 28 psi.. lol

o p.s. Wrong section to post this ;)
He knew I was on lower boost. I told him that I really didn't expect to get into any races tonight and that was why I had my top off, but it doesn't take much to talk me into a race. :)

He didn't talk to me afterwards as they didn't follow us all back to the main spot where we originally were. No biggie I guess.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice .. I had a similar bike experience and after two races I was braking to slow down and talk to him and as hard as I could brake it didnt matter it seemed like he had stopped on the dot and got off the interstate and was no where to be found .. him and his boy ..

But how much HP do you expect to be pushing with your new setup?
At the boost level I am at now it might be between 850-900rwhp? I am not really sure. When its all turned up I would think it would be right around 1,000rwhp or so. Its hard to say for sure until I actually put it on the dyno...probably won't do that until I get it up to at least 32-33lbs just to see what it is at that level. I do little "boost steps". :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Guess he turned out to be a waste of your time then, huh? :wavey: That's a great story, one I'm sure will ensure the supras reputation of legendary highway performance will thrive for years to come!

I'm kinda surprised you handled him like that though...don't they say it takes 1000whp to take down a litre bike? I thought that's what I remember getting mentioned in one of those "kill stories" threads...

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks awesome Tony. My aem is going in VERY soon. Perhaps I might need a tune.

Getting a bit sidetracked, at T2k7, I believe I saw you pulled over heading to the track on Saturday.I puleld over and walked to the car, but didnt mention who I was or anything. I heard your rearend went or something and then I saw you with the truck pull into the track. Good thing all is well though!

Nice races! Next time, get a VIDEO!!!
Thanks for stopping...I appreciate it! The pinion gear went out in the rear...I just got on the car on the highway in 3rd gear and it didn't like it, but that pinion gear has been through a lot. All is well now though as I have everything back together.

I do know of a video of the races, but they were from behind and the guy was bouncing the camera up and down, so you can't really see what actually happened. Everyone could tell I was pulling him though even though we were quite a ways ahead of the crowd behind us.

What are you going to need tuned anyway...what is the setup?

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Guess he turned out to be a waste of your time then, huh? :wavey: That's a great story, one I'm sure will ensure the supras reputation of legendary highway performance will thrive for years to come!

I'm kinda surprised you handled him like that though...don't they say it takes 1000whp to take down a litre bike? I thought that's what I remember getting mentioned in one of those "kill stories" threads...
It probably depends on the "average" hp the person in the car is putting down compared to the bike...that is hard to say especially because litre bikes used to be a lot less hp than what they are now and I have personally taken down litre bikes with my smaller turbos all the time, but they were like lightly modded '02's and such...GSXR1000 and R1's. I can't say for sure how I would of stacked up against brand new litre bikes with my smaller turbos as the litre bikes have gotten up in the power quite a bit more than what they used to be. All I can say is what I know for sure.

This subject can and will get hairy really quick which is exactly where I didn't want it to go...it was just good fun. :)

This bike was supposed to be about 170rwhp or so...about 150mph in the 1/4 or so...starting at 60mph though throws all that out when racing bikes as they don't gain as much ground from the 1/8 to the 1/4 as the Supra does most generally.

I guess now that I think about it that way...it doesn't take a Supra 1,000hp to do 150mph in the 1/4 as I know Tony M has done 151-152mph on many occassions with only around 870rwhp or so. Keep in mind...this is only talking 1/4 mile from 0-1/4 mile...when racing from 60mph it throws all that out as the bike most generally is not going to gain as much mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 like the Supra would...this is just showing straight 1/4 mile times only vs HP.

Hope all that makes sense.

·
Boost Junkie
12,622 Posts
Nice runs Tony. I definately doesn't take 1000hp to take down a liter bike or even a Busa. A lot depends on whats done to the bike, rider, and where you run (mph etc). I've take down a few Gixxer 1000s with just 700whp.

Steve K.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
SWEET... sounds like a fun time. somuch to read it felt like i was there lol... anyway, see if you can get some video for us to see.
Geno~

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
What size turbo do you have Tony?
76mm?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'll go ahead and get it out of the way....

you beat the rider not the bike
the rider couldn't ride
the rider was a n00b
the rider should try tucking next time
try racing him from a stop
blah blah blah

NICE KILL!!! :)

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like fun Tony! :)
Hey Steve how have you been doing? It was definitely a lot of fun no doubt...I have a feeling it will be more fun when I turn it up though. :) I am just really curious how much slower the car is with the top off vs the top on...you have any idea?

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SWEET... sounds like a fun time. somuch to read it felt like i was there lol... anyway, see if you can get some video for us to see.
Geno~

I will see about the video...maybe somebody will have one where you can actually see what happened. We should of had a scout car I guess. Maybe next time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts