Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ran my car for the first time on the strip yesterday. Goddamn thats some fun shit! My best time was a 13.8 at 110mph. I was runnin street tires, 93 octane gas, and was launching from a dead stop without building boost. I'm affraid of popping my tranny. :) Anyways, I prolly looked like the world's biggest newbie but I sure did have a great time. :) With my mods and my newbie style of racing is that a normal time? My reaction was also a pathetic average of .77 for the entire night too. Those lights are tricky to figure out. :D

Oh yeah...
P.S. - I forgot to pull my trac fuse too. :)

I was expecting 12's... am i being unrealistic? Or is it just my pathetic ability to drive thats making me run so high?

[ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: rifter 93TT ]

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Its addicting isnt it :) But as for your times....going by driving style and all little things you didnt do.....not too bad. You are at full bpu right? Well first off ..don't worry about poppong tranny or hurting it. I launch my bpu at 6000-6200 and it takes the abuse just fine :) Of course i would not recommend it on stock clutch..( i have hks twin disk) and would not help on street tires...you will just wheel hop. But few little tricks you need to do to help.

First off i woudl suggest getting drag radials in near future but until then....

Pull headlight out
Pull trac fuse out
Put few gallons of race fuel in.and reset ecu
Lower tire pressure some even on street tires it will help
And turn boost up if you were not running 18-19 anyway.

Those few things should increase your mph .......ANd your time...some...little practice you can get 12s easy.

Tony

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey rifter, nice white car. Get some tasteful 18s now. :) Drag racing is pretty addicting huh? People always say it requires no skill, but obviously it does right? ;) I'm assuming you're an automatic since you mentioned building boost off the line. If so, powerbrake the tranny up to 2000rpm at the light by using just the footbrake. To the point of the rear tires about to spin, but not! Preferably just as the lights are screaming down. You won't hurt anything and you'll notice your car getting out of the hole quicker. Definitely take the TRAC fuse out. I took my whole TRAC ECU out (no lights). Keep the tranny in D for now. It will shift EXACTLY the same on a good running tranny as if manually shifted no matter what a couple people say. I go through the gears for a different reason. If I start to lose traction I feather off the throttle --if I was in D it would upshift the tranny. You're MPH seems a little low for full BPU. I've run 116 (last 2 times I've run a year apart) on a downpipe, Borla, and DSBC. No intake mods and no pulling the headlight. I'll be doing those and hopefully more next time though. ;) Add some race gas and reset your 2 ECU fuses (~15 seconds) afterwards. What's your boost? Optimal is 18-19psi or 1.26 - 1.34 kg/cm^2. Don't worry about your reaction time. It doesn't mean anything when you're just having fun and looking to get a good time slip. Concentrate on your launch. .77 is about average and not bad at all. Anything over 1.0 isn't great. I GUARANTEE you will have a lower ET and a higher trap speed next time if you do the things I said. Have fun and keep us/me updated.

John H
96 White TT
12.2 @ 116

Originally posted by rifter 93TT:
<STRONG>Well I ran my car for the first time on the strip yesterday. Goddamn thats some fun shit! My best time was a 13.8 at 110mph. I was runnin street tires, 93 octane gas, and was launching from a dead stop without building boost. I'm affraid of popping my tranny. :) Anyways, I prolly looked like the world's biggest newbie but I sure did have a great time. :) With my mods and my newbie style of racing is that a normal time? My reaction was also a pathetic average of .77 for the entire night too. Those lights are tricky to figure out. :D

Oh yeah...
P.S. - I forgot to pull my trac fuse too. :)

I was expecting 12's... am i being unrealistic? Or is it just my pathetic ability to drive thats making me run so high?

[ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: rifter 93TT ]</STRONG>

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its an auto. I ran at 1.25bar with the trac fuse in and didn't powerbrake at the line. I'm a little nervous about turning up the boost any more until i get the fmic installed. I was a little disappointed when I was finally getting the hang of it and ran the 13.8 and they made me stop cuz I dont have a helmet. I know I could have done better. Oh well.

I plan on doin a greddy fmic next week and then I'll go back to the track. This time I'll pull the headlight, run some race gas, pull the trac fuse, reset the ecu, and try starting at 2000rpms or so. I'm really hoping that with some practice I'll be able to pull off a mid to low 12. I dunno.

I had absolutely the best time of my life last night. Even though the announcer was making fun of me... bastard. NO ITS NOT A DATSUN! Its like a new drug I've suddenly discovered. :) My oh my... what have I gotten myself into.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those times and that reaction are not bad at all. Good luck in the future. Congrats! :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
cool, my first time at the track was yesterday and my first run i did a 13.7, lol it was pretty embarrasing but oh well. i ended up doing a 12.5 for my best time after a few tries, hehe. i am still a little disappointed because i know my car is capable of more but i just suck at launching now. but you know what they say, practice makes perfect.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Practice your launch on a back road street with no traffic. Get that launch down and you will be in the 12s with no problem.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i need practice bad. I'm torn between doing a nice stereo and installing an intercooler next week. Which one would some of yall do? I'd like the intercooler but I'm not sure how much it'll do for my stock twins. *shrug*

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I say get some drag radials and get your times down before you get the fmic. You should run in the mid to high 12s with a good launch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts