We've done this song and dance before.

·
Registered
732 Posts
One example of reliability:
BMW 31 of 32 car brands
Toyota 5 of 32 car brands

We've done this song and dance before.
Shady, it looks like you win!!! LOL. I did admit that BMW's are very expensive to repair and thus cost of ownership is high. I'll also repeat, that I don't own one, never owned one, probably never will. Cost of ownership for German cars is an issue. Hell, my Cayenne cost a minimum of $300 for a simple service (oil change) at the stealership and over a thousand if it's an intermediate service. Silver Supra, I'm retired so "mental masturbation" is all I have left to occupy my day. Look at the times of some of my posts. LOL

·
iSPOOL
944 Posts
It's not about winning though right lol. It's about exchanging information.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree, which is why I decry what seems to me as just repeat bitching about the MKV and Toyota’s decision to partner with BMW. Whether we like it or not, that boat has sailed. In the early days of Supra Forums, it was all about owners helping each other with fixes or performance mods. I frequently relied on it as I worked on my own car and over the years even helped out a few others. It was all positive. What’s the poor new MKV owner to do now when he has an issue. Weed through the “I told you so’s.”? It’s not his fault Toyota went the way they did. I guess I’m just getting old and nostalgic.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Lol @ a guy equating automotive reliability with having enough cash burning a hole in your pocket to own 2 Porsche SUVs, a R8 and God only knows what else and shell out the stupid maintenance costs on those cars while quoting something as worthless and hilariously full of shit as JDPower like German luxury cars have jack shit on any Japanese vehicle

In case you didn't know, the majority of the planet lives on less than 2.00USD a day

A bicycle is reliable. Anybody with enough cash to flush down the toilet can afford to keep their hoverboard running

·
iSPOOL
944 Posts
I agree, which is why I decry what seems to me as just repeat bitching about the MKV and Toyota’s decision to partner with BMW. Whether we like it or not, that boat has sailed. In the early days of Supra Forums, it was all about owners helping each other with fixes or performance mods. I frequently relied on it as I worked on my own car and over the years even helped out a few others. It was all positive. What’s the poor new MKV owner to do now when he has an issue. Weed through the “I told you so’s.”? It’s not his fault Toyota went the way they did. I guess I’m just getting old and nostalgic.
I'm sure they will find help from those that have the car. I've been helped by fellow MKIV owners and I've tried to return the favor. But I can't help an MKIII owner since thats a different platform. Most here do not have the MKV and by the sound of it won't buy it either so they need to find their audience when looking for assistance.
I haven't seen one post by a MKV owner who has asked for help with an issue though?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Even if the car was being built by Toyota, I doubt it would be built in Japan. Most Toyota's (and Lexus) for the NA market are built in the USA or Canada now. Same countries building GM, Ford and Chrysler products. Having served many years ago as the Quality Manager for a large multinational company, I can tell you that quality depends on strong leadership, commitment and process not the worker on the line (or country of operation). I have no doubt that Austrians can build a quality vehicle. If Toyota wants the Supra to meet with their standard of quality they should make sure the process's and management are in place to deliver. It's their brand and moniker on the car and therefore on the line not BMW (except where the average Joe doesn't look).
I would like to point out top tier 4runners, GT86 and all Landcruisers and Lexus GX's are made in Japan still. bought a 2019 LE Nightshade awd 4runner and the window sticker gave me the plant info where it was built as well as the all important "J" on the Vin. was thinking about buying a Tacoma TRD Pro 6speed manual but they are made in Texas in the same plant the tundra comes from.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm going to have to back this statement!
Bought my 2007 Tundra in 2014 w/ 136000 miles, I'm sitting at just over 221000 now and all I've replaced is radiator and starter!

-Rich
quite a few years ago I bought the corolla with the 5 speed (2006). bmw next to it was same year, lower miles and same price. should have done a bit of research as most of these 5sp manuals on the corolla fail @125k. mine went at 120k and dam thing cost $1400 at a junkyard bc every corolla/matrix/vibe blows them out and supply and demand pushes the price up. by comparison the auto trans is about $300 used. but, resale value wise the car did ok as I unloaded it shortly after putting the new trans in

every manufacturer can have its duds. even toyota - but they are few and far between imho

·
Blue Thunder
3,389 Posts
edit... In the early days of Supra Forums, it was all about owners helping each other with fixes or performance mods. I frequently relied on it as I worked on my own car and over the years even helped out a few others. It was all positive. What’s the poor new MKV owner to do now when he has an issue. Weed through the “I told you so’s.”?
Go to a BMW site !!! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Wow that took a lot of imagination. How long did it take you to come up with it? I hope your 3337 other posts either, added more value, or at least were wittier!!! 😛😝😜🤪

·
Blue Thunder
3,389 Posts
Wow that took a lot of imagination. How long did it take you to come up with it? I hope your 3337 other posts either, added more value, or at least were wittier!!! 😛😝😜🤪
That's 3348 !!! Get ya facts right if you gonna respond ! Docking me posts ! I worked HARD for those bruh !
BTW...I answered in TRUTH !!! A MKV owner will get more KNOWLEDGE on this platform from a ...wait a minute...
BMW FORUM !!!

Amirite or amirite !?! IJS.

B:sneaky:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Whoops, actually I noticed the error (3337) immediately but there’s no edit capability anymore. You’re probably correct that there will be more answers on the BMW forum if a MKV owner has an engine, electronic or other mechanical issue. However, if this forum is not interested in welcoming MKV owners, the moderators should remove this section. If the forum continues to offer a MKV section, then IMHO it should be focused (similar to the MKIII, MKIV, sections) on fixes, modifications,etc. I doubt there’s anyone left who hasn’t already been educated about the MKV being built by BMW, that it has minimal Toyota content oh and it’s a ZUPR4 not a Supra.

·
Very Senior Member
9,949 Posts
.... However, if this forum is not interested in welcoming MKV owners, the moderators should remove this section. ......
So, if people disagree with you or others about the BRZ4, they should not be able to say so?
This forum is already as screwed up as the new car is.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nope, just saying that putting the car down shouldn't be the major focus of the MKV forum. Can you imagine what would happen if a bunch of non-MKIV owners (say BMW, Vette, Nissan, or even MKIII fan boys) were on the MKIV forum putting down our car. Now imagine, if that had happened back in 1994 when the car was just being introduced. I doubt any MKIV owner first visiting the site would have come back. Fortunately, over the years the MKIV site has had very few non-owners posting and thus been almost universally positive and helpful. Of course it's also a great car.

·
iSPOOL
944 Posts
Nope, just saying that putting the car down shouldn't be the major focus of the MKV forum. Can you imagine what would happen if a bunch of non-MKIV owners (say BMW, Vette, Nissan, or even MKIII fan boys) were on the MKIV forum putting down our car. Now imagine, if that had happened back in 1994 when the car was just being introduced. I doubt any MKIV owner first visiting the site would have come back. Fortunately, over the years the MKIV site has had very few non-owners posting and thus been almost universally positive and helpful. Of course it's also a great car.
But did the MKIV invade any other car forum or discussion board? I want to point out in 1994 there wasn't a production Corvette, Nissan, MKIII, or BMW that could hold its weight against the MKIV performance wise. The car had a much weirder look due to the curvy designs vs the sharp angles of the 80s and early 90s cars but there wasnt much to poke fun at.

I can't speak for others but I have accepted the car is branded a Toyota and I'm sure those who have the car will help each other when needed.

·
Very Senior Member
9,949 Posts
Actually, we just go with the truth. We have had others come here and try to bad-mouth the MKIV, but they have no facts and leave. Oh, and there have been more than a few "non-owners" as members and they have learned and contributed as well.
There is a mkvforums and they can do what they wish - I will not be there and don't care really what they do. I don't even wander into the threads here that apparently are to be "helpful". People can read the thread title and decide if it interests them, right?

·
JetFire
5,276 Posts
Unfortunately that's what the MKV forum here has become, I get the hate but the MKV Forum is now used for those that aren't fans to continually vent their frustrations. Any flaws or issues with the car is celebrated here it seems. The forum owners created the section in hopes of bringing in the new owners and traffic and vendors, ads etc....not sure what metrics they are using to gauge how it's doing but the majority of the traffic here is from those that aren't fans. I don't personally hate the MKV or would I attack any owners verbally like I've seen here, for me it's not that serious. I doubt anyone that truly hates it has contacted Toyota Corp or plan to boycott other Toyota products etc...

There were a actually a few non MKIV fans that came in here that it didn't go well for I remember a Vette guy can't remember his username he constantly bashed the stock MKIV numbers in comparison to the C5 stock numbers.

61 - 80 of 129 Posts