Supra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Whoops, actually I noticed the error (3337) immediately but there’s no edit capability anymore. You’re probably correct that there will be more answers on the BMW forum if a MKV owner has an engine, electronic or other mechanical issue. However, if this forum is not interested in welcoming MKV owners, the moderators should remove this section. If the forum continues to offer a MKV section, then IMHO it should be focused (similar to the MKIII, MKIV, sections) on fixes, modifications,etc. I doubt there’s anyone left who hasn’t already been educated about the MKV being built by BMW, that it has minimal Toyota content oh and it’s a ZUPR4 not a Supra.
Should have thought of that before they released this piece of shit Z4

Anyone who supports this car gets what they deserve

·
Blue Thunder
3,455 Posts
Supraforums has ALWAYS been a sink or swim site. You can either handle the roasting, or you leave. We don't hold your hand, we don't spoon feed you, we don't like to repeat ourselves, and we don't take to kindly to people coming in and downing our cars..unless they are speaking of the MKIII's !!! LOL

Now this "A90" is the new poster child, bastard child, re-headed step child....you get it.
I'm grateful for the MKV !!! Us MKIII guys now don't have as much of a target on our backs thanks to it !!! And our MKIVs are holding/increasing their values !!! LOL

In a way, this has brought us together. I'm active more often now, than I have been in YEARS !!!

Thanks Tada !!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
The MKIII was an abomination. LOL Now the MKII that was a great Supra. I bought a new white MKII (P-Type) in 1983. Loved it!!! Best drivers seat ever put in a Toyota (essentially a Recaro rip-off). Too bad it only had 155 hp. Still it looked great and for the time was a fun car to drive. I've heard of guys dropping a 2JZ turbo in a MKII. That would be crazy fun. Dangerous but fun. Sold mine in 1992 with only 65K miles:cry:

·
Registered
1 Posts

So it begins..

Also, apparently warranty is voided if you turn on dyno mode? So why put that feature on the car? :rolleyes:
When I 1st saw the Toyota Supra "Concept" Vehicle a few yrs ago, online; being tested, evaluated, I was very excited to see Toyota bring back such an Iconic Car!! But, when I heard and saw that Toyota partnered up with BMW for their Engine/Drivetrain/Steering components...I screamed inside my head...ahhhhhh; why the f'in did you=Toyota have to go all the way too Germany for those items, when you guys have the capacity to produce a moderately "Tuned" Inline-6, that you guys were so famous for having one of the best/smoothest/most reliable Inline-6 Engines ever produced and used in your older Celica's & Supra's! So, now your customers are already having major issues with all those BMW based components with Cars barely having less than 10,000 km's and when these components are "crapping-out" and in some cases endangering people's lives, BMW nor Toyota will fix their "Supra's" because of some owners putting their Cars on Dyno's, so they can "fine-tune" their Sports-Car (Which is perfectly allowed and is actually a sub-system built into the Cars); Shame on BMW & Toyota..(I've owned both brands) and I wish I could afford a Supra, but now I'll go but a Honda Civic Type-R!!

·
Super Moderator
10,332 Posts
The comparisons between the MKIV and MKV aftermarkets are fatally flawed because there is a fundamental difference. The MKIV aftermarket was created from whole cloth and really didn't begin to take off until the car ceased being imported to the U.S. in 1998, five years after its introduction. By example, in 1997, I won the inaugural SILV dyno contest with a whopping 405 whp, beating Saad Saad by 2 whp.

One year later, Bryce Danna generated 525 whp and, in 1999, Christian Rado won the contest with 679 whp. Five years later, I won again, generating 1110 whp in 2004 and, in 2008, both Ryan Woon and SW pegged a 1500 whp dyno, still the highest mark of SILV/SIV events because of the unavailability of dynos that could corral more power. At the same time, huge numbers were also being generated at TX2K and the Supra horsepower game was well and truly on.

I provide this brief history lesson because the MKV aftermarket already exists, courtesy of BMW, and has existed for some 5-years or so. While the Supra-centric tuners have jumped in feet first, traditional BMW tuners, two of which are now sponsors of this forum, have been at it for a while now. So, to posit that Supraforums members should be a source of information and assistance regarding the MKV is to ignore this reality since, in addition to the Supra-centric shops, there are any number of BMW shops that can assist MKV owners. Obviously, their knowledge development greatly exceeds that of SF members in general. All that said, if a MKV owner comes in here with a legitimate issue that current members can help resolve, I am 100% confident he or she will get the assistance they need. That is the SF way, and always has been because nothing builds knowledge, and the willingness to share it, like making space shuttle-type power from 183 cubic inches.

To judge the entire forum as haters based upon the posts of a few members makes no sense whatsoever, to say nothing of the fact that many of the posts are in opposition to those who believe the car should be welcomed with open arms just because it's called a Supra. It's so easy to drop the word "haters" on those with whom we disagree, and it's been used repeatedly by those who are more accepting of the the MKV than others. As Silver Supra has said (more than once), the large majority of anti-MKV posts are from those who speak the truth, especially from those who have reams of prior BMW experience.

As $9ktt alluded to, SF has never been the "safe place" some apparently want to make it as it relates to the MKV. In fact, I daresay that, if you think the forums treatment of the MKV is bad, you were, obviously, not a MKIII owner when the MKIV appeared, slaying everything in front of it, and when this forum really took off as the place to be if you were a Supra owner. At the same time, those who believe the MKV should be embraced because....Supra fail in understanding that, for many, myself included, that embrace will not be forthcoming....because BMW.

I leave you with this: What if the next generation Porsche 911 was developed from the next generation Audi TT platform? What if the C8 Corvette had been based upon the Ford Mustang GT 500 platform rather than GM developing a bespoke mid-engine chassis? What if the R35 GTR was based upon Mazda 6, or, worse, an awd Camry? Do you think fans and owners of those cars would be giving the manufacturers a pass and urging the "haters" to accept those cars for what they are? I don't think it would be difficult to imagine that some heads, maybe many, would roll if such travesties were carried out.

So why should the Supra community embrace this car? Because it exists? I don't think so.

Ken.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ken, well said and a good history lesson. I came on the forum in 2002 because it was a great place to get info about what was going with the MKIV. From the forum, I learned how to do the simple mods that allowed me to boost above stock (BPU). Later, when I decided to go single, the forum provided a guide with pictures. Yay!!! All the while, I read with interest about the things guys such as Ryan Woon, Bryce and yourself were doing to crank out big numbers from the Supra. Occasionally, I'd have an issue with my car which was solved by either a quick search or a post to the forum. As time went by, I gained a bit of knowledge and I even helped out a few owners myself. Sometimes there would be a difference of opinion about the best way to do something or which product was better, but it usually got resolved, or not. The occasional a__hole was either banned or ignored.
My position on the MKV is; after 25 years of doing nothing (since the introduction of the MKIV) with the Supra, I was surprised Toyota did anything at all. I have an interest in reading about what's happening with it, in the same way as I do with the Mustang, Camaro, Vette and all performance cars. Nobody is expecting the existing community to embrace the MKV, least of all me. Someone said; "the opposite of love isn't hate it's indifference".

·
JetFire
5,308 Posts
@KenHenderson I 100% agree with your post and respect you and many others here that have been around for a while. I remember lurking on these forums before I even had a JZ car then finally joining back in 2004 and seeing more of what you and some of the other members were doing. Finally met Saad Saad at TX2K9 and a few others, hope to make it out to SILV as I feel that's more of a Supra meet since TX2K has evolved. This forum has been a god send and more than helpful, I've spent tons of time researching everything from fuel setups to wheel fitment. SFOT was also very entertaining and interesting in many ways.

Social media has had an impact on this and many forums and it's obvious with the new ownership and recent changes (that have gotten worse imo) that they are trying to compete for traffic. The arrival of the MKV for many is not what we expected after the long break. I don't hate the car per say I wish it was 100% in house Toyota or at least the motor and electronics. I won't say I'm giving Toyota a pass either I just have accepted that even though Toyota has the capability to build a proper Supra they didn't. Which makes me wonder why, was it profit margin, politics, leadership, greed? There are several theories out there and guess we will never truly know "why" they went this route, I'm leaning towards greed as their stock value has tripled since the departure of the MKIV and now. They are investing heavily in Hybrid and Electric Technology. As far as performance I personally think they are out of touch and just don't care to appeal to a certain percentage of their fan/owner base. I'm a big fan of the Lexus F cars but the RC-F track edition at $97K base with some dealers $120K with dealer mark up is a hard pill to swallow for the power output on a engine that's been out 11 years with no real updates. All vehicles in my home are Toyota's except the wife's Honda, even the company car is a Camry.

I was hoping my next Sports car would be an actual Toyota product, the LC is tempting but it's a beautiful cruiser and nothing more than that to me, maybe the LC-F will happen. C8 also looks very appealing from a bang for buck perspective. I've more or less moved on from looking to Toyota for performance. I'll keep enjoying my MKIV, love my GX, Camry is cool lol but I really don't expect Toyota to bring anything to appeal to current MKIV owners. I hope I'm wrong and maybe the MKVI is in house but byy then it will probably be all electric.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The MKIII was an abomination. LOL Now the MKII that was a great Supra. I bought a new white MKII (P-Type) in 1983. Loved it!!! Best drivers seat ever put in a Toyota (essentially a Recaro rip-off). Too bad it only had 155 hp. Still it looked great and for the time was a fun car to drive. I've heard of guys dropping a 2JZ turbo in a MKII. That would be crazy fun. Dangerous but fun. Sold mine in 1992 with only 65K miles:cry:
I'm guessing you(along with 9ktt$) have never driven or even been in a low mileage mint condition MK3 Supra. I drove in a brand new turbo model in 1987 when they first came out, and eventually bought a mint condition 92 with 70K miles. They were top of the class in performance and refinement at that time, a distant memory with the trashed MK3's you see now.. And BTW, they were 100% Toyota.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm guessing you(along with 9ktt$) have never driven or even been in a low mileage mint condition MK3 Supra. I drove in a brand new turbo model in 1987 when they first came out, and eventually bought a mint condition 92 with 70K miles. They were top of the class in performance and refinement at that time, a distant memory with the trashed MK3's you see now.. And BTW, they were 100% Toyota.
My comment was accompanied by a "LOL" meaning it was a joke;). I test drove a new MKIII turbo when it first came out. I also had a good friend who bought a '87 Turbo new. It was a very nice touring car and nicely appointed. Its weight (~3600 lb) combined with the Turbo's 230 hp (vs NA @ 200 hp) means it wasn't particularly quick (0-60 mph 6.5 sec, 1/4 mile 15 sec). The suspension was tuned soft, so handling was also more touring focused. The head gasket issues don't help its reputation. It wasn't until the introduction of the MKIV that Toyota had a real sports car in its lineup to offer (albeit the rear seat probably means it's technically a GT). Still I have seen some modified MKIII's with 2JZ's dropped into them, that are beasts.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My comment was accompanied by a "LOL" meaning it was a joke;). I test drove a new MKIII turbo when it first came out. I also had a good friend who bought a '87 Turbo new. It was a very nice touring car and nicely appointed. Its weight (~3600 lb) combined with the Turbo's 230 hp (vs NA @ 200 hp) means it wasn't particularly quick (0-60 mph 6.5 sec, 1/4 mile 15 sec). The suspension was tuned soft, so handling was also more touring focused. The head gasket issues don't help its reputation. It wasn't until the introduction of the MKIV that Toyota had a real sports car in its lineup to offer (albeit the rear seat probably means it's technically a GT). Still I have seen some modified MKIII's with 2JZ's dropped into them, that are beasts.
The MKIII has more racing history than the MK4. You can search yourself and see. It was a sports car. The stuff that about the head gasket was years later but it was still a sport car.

·
Administrator
8,436 Posts
Went for a ride in my uncle's brand new 1992 mk3 turbo when I was 10. That's it I was hooked.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The MKIII has more racing history than the MK4. You can search yourself and see. It was a sports car. The stuff that about the head gasket was years later but it was still a sport car.
If you say so!!! Admittedly, I never really followed the MKIII. I skipped directly from owning a MKII to a MKIV (with a three year gap in between where I was in Africa and had a company car and driver).

·
JetFire
5,308 Posts
I've been seeing some pretty clean samples of MKIII's lately mainly RHD Imports with the 1jz. For me I rather the MKII over the MKIII.

·
Blue Thunder
3,455 Posts
Sir.... I don't know what your reference was to but I bought my 85.5 8D4 Supra from the original owner with 69,841 miles on it. It was and still is MINT with 135k on it now.

My 85 SDR is just as clean with 144k on it now, has a BHG were as the MKIII doesn't..go figure... LOL.

My 93 RR ,on the other hand, has 253k on it and I just put a VVT-i motor in it. Compared to the MKIV, the MKIII as it CAME was/is a dog. But it does ride nice and has comfy seats. Now if I throw my 1jz in it, that all changes.

B

ps: Still prefer the MKII and MKIV over all the others.

·
Very Senior Member
9,998 Posts
Geez. Going off on tangents again.
The MKIII was fine in it's time. I was a few minutes away from buying a new one in 1987 but the "daddy" gene kicked in and we got a minivan! My 15-year-old son was almost as disappointed as I was!
At least they were a Toyota.(y)
This thread is about BMW (un)reliability. (n)

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
OK, so some people one here like MK2 Supras. Some people on here like MK3 Supras. Some people on here like MK4 Supras.

And not many on here like BMW Supras.

Now too: What will break next?

·
Registered
663 Posts
every other supra gave us something substantial. Im talking real supra's, not celica supra's or zupra's.

mkIII - turbo from factory, r154, strong IRS with axles that are strong as well, targa top
mk4- jz/6 speed/even stronger rear end

then poof.... mutherfucking Siamese exhaust ports and a timing chain on the back of the motor show up with bmw stickers all over.

mk5, the entire car is broken.

·
Registered
192 Posts
MK3 Rear diffs and axles are extremely strong for their age of build and hold well to today's cars too. very reliable for anything 800 or less. Not sure what a good condition mk3 diff is good for?

R154 for a transmission made in the mid 80s is holding up well. i'm 700+ with mine, 600+ for years prior, completely stock and only now are syncros starting to show signs of wear with 190,xxx km's on it. WIth Brand new r154s for sale now, it would be a nice reference to what they can truely hold vs 30 year old beaten on ones do.

That's Toyota, 600-700 hp drive train MK3, 900-1000 HP drive train MK4.

Sadly, the next generation drive train from them will not be seen anytime soon, or ever again.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts