Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchases a 95 toyota supra 6spd and i think im already getting problems......almost every time i shut off the car near the drivers side engine bay it makes this rattle type noise...does it sometimes doesnt other times...is this rattle after shutting off normal.???????....specs about the car...its bone stock....all original vin numbers...no accidents nothing of that nature...it drives really good but just want to make sure if its normal or not because now im getting scared that something might blow........please! oh a little something else...the original owner never used synthetic oil...just regular 10w 30....and did frequent oil changes...car has 84000 miles on it....and another thing i just drove it back from dallas texas approx 1400 miles to los angeles...maybe its just really hot or tired and has to rest...i dont know..please help me

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
the getrag transmission is known for its clunkyness.
I get a rattle after the car is turned off if the clutch is not pressed down but If the clutch is pressed I get nothing. Ive noticed it since I changed the clutch out for RPS clutch but I still have a stock flywheel. If it happens to not be normal, I havent had any issues yet and Ive had the clutch for at least 3kmiles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey 22urbo I just last week picked up same year and model that you have from Dallas, and I also drove mine back it gives it a good clean out from carbon and such. But yeah mine does the same thing with the trans when you turn it off and like the other guy said these Getrag V160's are clunky sounding.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
welcome to the supra club...i flew to Vegas to get mine...where in LA are you? id be happy to look at it for ya...Im up in Lancaster

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using the oil that Toyota originally recommended. At 84K, you are better to start saving right now for repairs instead of mods. That is unless you bought knowing that all the things that usually break have been fixed already.

·
BoosT AddicT
238 Posts
Just the sound of the clutch with the getreg.. perfectly normal. Also if you have a "clunk" when shifting gears from the rear that's normal 2.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
He says he hears the problem when he shuts the car off!

Are you sure it is not coming from the passenger side firewall area?
There is a fuel system charcoal canister tlhat will make all sorts of strange noises dependant on temps and pressures. Mine will make noises when it is hot in the garage some times. I am used to it though.

Brandon

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
oooohhh that sounds terrible! you should sell it to me cheap to save yourself the inevitible headaches ;)
Just kidding, probably no big deal I hear that on mine occassionally too. I tried to pinpoint it with no luck...I think in my case it's the fan clutch.
get some good fluids in that car! clean everything; not that this will help your issue but it needs to be done. Use v160 or synchromax in your tranny...at 86k, I wouldn't suspect too many major issues in the immediate future. I'd go ahead and get the coolant serviced; alot of people say toyota red only but you'll have to make your own call on that.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Mine used to make this rattle noise, and the next day it imploded

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to smaay im located in los angeles.....near like usc....and i do feel that clunk that comes from the back and thanks for saying its normal...feel a lot better now when i race pos cars who think they can hang lol....and some more info....the car also had the tranny replaced and clutch replaced by toyota at 44000 miles because it was under warranty...the man had paper work to prove it...now i have another problem.......the brakes are like completely GONE....and my neighbor has an 03 cobra....475rwhp...and he has smaller rim size and smaller tire size and smaller rotors and crap....and he stops CLEEAAAAN.......what kind of brakes do you guys suggest that can give me instant brake...???

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and im pretty sure the noise is coming from the driver side front....i had someone sit in the car and turn it off so i can hear it better...and it was clearly the driver side front...im gonna try to turn it off with the clutch in to see if it still does it....you guys said it shouldn't make that noise with that clutch in right???

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
22urbo said:
oh and im pretty sure the noise is coming from the driver side front....i had someone sit in the car and turn it off so i can hear it better...and it was clearly the driver side front...im gonna try to turn it off with the clutch in to see if it still does it....you guys said it shouldn't make that noise with that clutch in right???
You sound like a whiner. The car is 12 years old man

·
Something cool
670 Posts
22urbo said:
to smaay im located in los angeles.....near like usc....and i do feel that clunk that comes from the back and thanks for saying its normal...feel a lot better now when i race pos cars who think they can hang lol....and some more info....the car also had the tranny replaced and clutch replaced by toyota at 44000 miles because it was under warranty...the man had paper work to prove it...now i have another problem.......the brakes are like completely GONE....and my neighbor has an 03 cobra....475rwhp...and he has smaller rim size and smaller tire size and smaller rotors and crap....and he stops CLEEAAAAN.......what kind of brakes do you guys suggest that can give me instant brake...???
I just got brembo cross drilled, stock replacement rotors and Hawk HPS pads. They work good, look nice, and there cheaper then stock rotors and pads. Got mine from mvp.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know its a 12 year old car and just because its a 12 year old car i shouldn't worry about the car?...doesnt make a difference if it was a brand new ferrari...if it was making a noise that "I" wasn't aware of it doing to begin with im pretty sure anyone would worry....i just got this car and its taken me over a year and half to effen get it...this is also a FORUM...which indicates that people may converse about the mkiv and post up any questions they have...and YES you are entitled to your opinion...but if your going to be an ass and call me a whiner then go to a forum where people talk about whining...and thanks for everyone else who's nice enough to take time and respond to my questions with some positive feedback....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The 1993.5-1998 MKIV supra held the 70-0mph braking record for 10 years before the carerra GT broke it by less than 3 feet..... in other words, its pretty much the best factory braking car to ever come out of japan, and one of the best in the world. On more than one occasion while playin around with a motorcycle and having to slam the brakes on to avoid a bicycle that popped out of nowhere, the motorcycle had to pop over in the other lane b/c he couldnt brake as fast as the supra on OEM pads and rotors

I would get your pads and rotors replaced. Go with stock rotors and whatever Hawks pads are recommended for daily driving. The Hawks will squeak, but the OEM's will squeak after they get worn anyway. Also, the Hawks better pedal feel, and I believe they have more material on them (With the Hawks it was hard to pull up on the parking brake all the way; with oem pads it requires no effort at all).

Hope this helps.

22urbo said:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
/\ thanks for the information....my neighbor has a cobra svt 2003 and my supra has bigger rotors...rim...and tire size then him....and yet he stops super fast!.....i wanna stop pretty fast too....so stock should do fine or hawks...are stock toyota pads ceramic??....sorry if dumb question....and how much do they cost??....and do i really need to change the rotors??...they look really good...

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
first off its a damn toyota so who ever said to start saving to fix it is smoking crack. Unless the car was NOT taken care of then there should be no worries. Just the normal stuff IE brakes, tires, clutch and etc

The tranny IS NOT what rattles when the car is shut off but the FLYWHEEL which is VERY normal. However the tranny is a bit "clunky" at times. If you still dont think its the flywheel and somthing else try to be more specific.

Unless you intend to do a crazy brake upgrade then i wouldnt worry to much about upgrading rotors and pads. Just get somthing simple or just the OEM stuff and you will be fine. Id prob go ahead and change the rotors when doing the pads while your at it.

now that your a Supra owner read up on MKIV.com and ENJOY!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts