Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a small town dealer near me that is selling a nice MKIII(Not sure on the exact year) 5spd Supra. On the back it had a "Turbo" badging so I assume it is turbo. He didnt have any stickers on it for pricing and miles and what not but I am going to go back today and test drive it. What are common problems to look for when buying a used MKIII? I tried to search for a buying guide but didnt find one.

And whats about the average price for a stock turbo 5spd with good exterior condition/paint?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
One thing to ask is if he ever had any head gasket issues before, and if so how did he go about fixing it.

I would also ask what aftermarket parts are on it, any and all.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Definitely ask about the headgasket. Also, it having a turbo badge doesn't mean that it is definitely a turbo car, but more than likely. My car is manufactured as an NA, but is now turbo, and I purchased the turbo badge and put it on there.

It would really help if we have more information on the car. If you like it though, and he gives you a good deal on it, I would buy it. Be aware though, that these cars, need more than average care and attention. If the car was driven to Hell and back, be prepared to make some friends with good wrenching skills and knowledge, assuming you don't already have that. If you can get some pictures along with the mileage and price, then we can help you more.

-Alex

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ :werd: I run back and forth to Advanced Auto Parts so many times a day for stuff that they offered me a job :D

...talk about 7m love

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the only 100% designation for the turbo cars is in the VIN if it reads JT2MA71... the NAs read JT2MA70 IIRC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely ask about the headgasket and take a look under the hood. Ive owned a 90 Talon TSi awd before and currently own a swapped 4g63t Galant so I think I am familiar with ongoing maintenance. Ill try to stop back by there today and see how much he wants for it and what problems its had, and get the VIN for a carfax.

Im just tired of FWD, turbo FWD cars are horrible, I want some traction!

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
hes just like us guys dsm motors knock sometimes too!!!

good luck with the car, pics would help also you can look on the firewall and there should be a tag that explains what transmission the car has and so on but by the time youve popped the hood youll know if its turbo or not so its kinda useless unless you wanna find out if it has a LSD.

in which case you look at this tag on the rightish side of the firewall by the top.

if the number circled is a 3 or 5 you have an LSD or so toyota says your tranny code following that will be r154 if its a true turbo.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
def the headgasket question...check the antifreeze for milky substances,run the car hard...rev engine and listen for any engine rod knocks,check for smoke out of the exhaust,white can be blow headgasket,blue can be burning oil,do a carfax ofcourse..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went back to the lot today and talked to the guy. The car is perfect, not a single ding, dent, or rust, perfect red paint. Interior was just as well. Gray leather seats looked like they were brand new. I looked under the car and it had a custom 3" turbo back exhaust. Also the car had 80k original miles.

Buttt the guy wanted $10k for the car. Is it me or is that high? He said he wasnt familiar with this type of car at all and wasnt sure on its value. I was thinking more along the lines of 5 or 6k. I might go back and haggle with him as the car was perfect, I was quite amazed at the quality of the car. I didnt take it for a drive as I was in a hurry and was a bit thrown off by his asking price haha.

I will take pics if I go back.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
$10k is high...

throw 5k at him and work up to 6k, at that milage the stock headgasket is still in it and it will have to be changed soon (it will be cheaper to do as preventative maintainance and not when it blows, overheats and warps the hell outta the head...)

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
What year is the car?

Did you carfax the VIN # yet?

$10k is high but 80,000 original miles is pretty low. The year and options will fully determine the price but I'm thinking around $6500 would be fair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a 90. I didnt have a pen or paper to write the VIN down but I will get it the next time I go. I just need to get some funds arranged so I can offer him cash on the spot. The lot is about 30min from my house and kind of out of the way so I probably wont get back there for another week. Will definitely check it out more if I plan on buying it. Thanks for all the tips guys :)

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
didnt have a pen or paper? if your really serious of buying this car you would of did a carfax a long time ago..no? as mention before with those miles be prepared for a HG job...car may look pretty but might run like crap..dont let the exterior fool you

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
didnt have a pen or paper? if your really serious of buying this car you would of did a carfax a long time ago..no? as mention before with those miles be prepared for a HG job...car may look pretty but might run like crap..dont let the exterior fool you
Good advice. Also, if you aren't trying to drive the car ASAP, and the engine craps out, you can take that chance to build a new one. A good chassis is far more rare, than a good engine. Remember, you can find an engine almost anywhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts