Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 USDM TT, HKS Single, Tanabe DP, custom Intake, AEM UEGO boost fuel pressure and afr, MBC, BBS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am getting this loud buzzing noise under the passenger side of dash. Sounds like a electrical motor making a harsh buzzing noise that randomly starts and stops. I checked all buttons on climate control and everything under the dash moves quietly like it is supposed to, I think. Also it only seems to randomly do it when I'm at freeway speeds. Will try and record my next trip to see if I can catch it happen. Then I will post the link to the video here. Any ideas before hand will be much appreciated.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
569 Posts
Check the fan for the AC system

Something in your Glove Box?

·
Registered
94 USDM TT, HKS Single, Tanabe DP, custom Intake, AEM UEGO boost fuel pressure and afr, MBC, BBS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Sounds like a carpenter bee. Nah. Glove box is pulled out so I can try and trace the sound. But its hard to do while driving too. Never happens sitting still. Fan works fine on all settings. I'll try and record a clip and to this thread Wednesday when I drive the car again.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
569 Posts
When it starts doing it, turn off the fan. See what happens.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. So I recorded it making the noise today. Its random whether the ac/heat is on or off or where the fan and controls are set. Happen randomly and only happens over 70+ mph

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,388 Posts
That's a cow. Or a long fart. I'm 100% certain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly. I thought it was a carpenter bee. Lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
honestly though I'm baffled with this. Especially because everything works as it should. Something isn't right in there though.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
something is making it vibrate, at the given speed- metal and other parts have resonance , it may be the blower motor fan itself maybe loose from the armature, it may be spinning loosely or the HVAC parts may have a few screws loose and it vibrating against a surrounding object, i would try to use a recording camera and install a light source. try to capture it

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would hate to have an annoying sound like that while driving or whatever, I just hope you don't have to tear down your whole dash to locate the fart sound. All the best

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
On another note, my closest experience to this would be in our family SUV, it had a slight rattle/crackle at constant highway speeds.

I took it to Benz and what they did was stick felt in various areas in the dash after taking out the center panel of the dash. So far, no issues but then again I haven't been on constant freeway speeds too much yet.

However, just a suggestion- Hope it helps!

Very respectfully,

Rishi

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried something this morning on the way to work and the sound didn't happen. See what happens on the way home and if it don't do it ill update with that I did. Fingers crossed.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
569 Posts
Lexus HVAC/Duct Actuator is known to have a buzzing sound. My friends IS300 does it, sound kind of similar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would hate to have an annoying sound like that while driving or whatever, I just hope you don't have to tear down your whole dash to locate the fart sound.
All the best

Agreed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Learned today that I can recreate it at exactly 72 and 73 mph. Must be some type or harmonic vibration.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
Rejoined
25 Posts
Were you planning any other "fixes" for this trouble? That definitely sounded annoying in the video. Do you think the dash has been apart a few times for gauge or other updates? The felt idea sounded good if you knew where to put it. Hope you get it sorted out. I don't hear anything but the engine/exhaust and wind noise with my windows down at 70+ MPH.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am thinking it is some harmonic vibration of some sort. none of that stuff has ever been out of the car. I still have a few ideas that i will try for two or three trips to try and track it down. i have a feeling it is somthing i have done when the car was down for a few days at a time adding upgrades. going to go through and check all of them one at a time and see if it fixes it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts