Supra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
It sounds close, but something is still off. My bet is cps timing, although I'm no expert. You should be able to hook the maf right into the accordion hose and use a big hose clamp to secure it. Other than that, plug the open holes between the maf and turbo and check the other vacuum hoses. Did you install the cps when the engine was at tdc? From what I've read it seems you followed the Tsrm, but im just trying to narrow everything down so I can better help you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
It sounds close, but something is still off. My bet is cps timing, although I'm no expert. You should be able to hook the maf right into the accordion hose and use a big hose clamp to secure it. Other than that, plug the open holes between the maf and turbo and check the other vacuum hoses. Did you install the cps when the engine was at tdc? From what I've read it seems you followed the Tsrm, but im just trying to narrow everything down so I can better help you.
I tried to put the maf in the accordion hose and it wouldn't fit so i might have it backwards... I did redo the cps timing when the engine was at TSC so its good there. I bet it is the cps timing and will do that when i havr the chance, thank you ao much for your help so far! I really appreciate it 馃憤馃徎

Registered
No problem and yeah just loosen the hold down and move it back some, about to the middle to get you started. If you get it running check the vacuum and put a timing light on it with the diagnostic connector jumped.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
No problem and yeah just loosen the hold down and move it back some, about to the middle to get you started. If you get it running check the vacuum and put a timing light on it with the diagnostic connector jumped.
Went home this weekend from college, and messed around with the CPS timing, here the video i got. I couldn't get it to start idling on the stock 40lbs of fuel pressure but i turned it down to 25lbs and it idled with a bit of a push on the gas. Welding an exhaust now 馃憣馃徏

Video:

Registered
Glad you're making some progress, but obviously something is still not right lol. My bet is that the timing is still off and/or major vacuum leaks. It should run just fine at the stock fuel pressure. I'd play with the timing some more and check all your major vacuum hoses. I had a vacuum leak before and the car wouldn't start unless I pressed the gas pedal while cranking. Turned out the hose going to the upper plenum slipped off from me fiddling with everything about the bhg repair. While my car may not be the prettiest example out there, if there are any specific things you need pictures of to see how they're set up/routed, just let me know. Sounds like your in the same boat at me though. I'm in college as well for engineering so my time to play with the supra is limited.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Glad you're making some progress, but obviously something is still not right lol. My bet is that the timing is still off and/or major vacuum leaks. It should run just fine at the stock fuel pressure. I'd play with the timing some more and check all your major vacuum hoses. I had a vacuum leak before and the car wouldn't start unless I pressed the gas pedal while cranking. Turned out the hose going to the upper plenum slipped off from me fiddling with everything about the bhg repair. While my car may not be the prettiest example out there, if there are any specific things you need pictures of to see how they're set up/routed, just let me know. Sounds like your in the same boat at me though. I'm in college as well for engineering so my time to play with the supra is limited.
Oh yes i understand, thats the only video i got after i checked the first plug again after getting the fuel pressure down to see if it was still too much fuel, the plug did not smell of gas but I forgot to put the plug wire in so it was mis firing... but then after i got that olugged in it idled much smoother (and without me having to press the gas) And I appreciate the offer of any pictures, I'll for sure let you know. I do still need to adjust a few things so ill be playing with that a little later, just glad to know theres nothing major wrong with it 馃槀

Registered
Ice

that last video,

you are misfiring on 2 cylinders.

Also you could have saved yourself lots of headaches by removing those 550 and putting in the 440cc/min. the 550 by themselves are way to big for the TCCS to adjust to. Otherwise get a lexus AFM and understand that you will be detonating.

Disconnect the fuel pump and set base timing as per the TSRM without starting the engine. You will need to crank it over (usually done by someone running a standalone to set base timing).

you will need something like Innova 3630 Remote Starter and a timing light. You will need to set the diagnostic mode by doing the jumper on E1 and TE1 MK3 TSRM On-Line

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Ice

that last video,

you are misfiring on 2 cylinders.

Also you could have saved yourself lots of headaches by removing those 550 and putting in the 440cc/min. the 550 by themselves are way to big for the TCCS to adjust to. Otherwise get a lexus AFM and understand that you will be detonating.

Disconnect the fuel pump and set base timing as per the TSRM without starting the engine. You will need to crank it over (usually done by someone running a standalone to set base timing).

you will need something like Innova 3630 Remote Starter and a timing light. You will need to set the diagnostic mode by doing the jumper on E1 and TE1 MK3 TSRM On-Line
Unfortunately the car never came with any other injectors besides the 550ccs so i wouldn't've been able to just switch them out. How coukd you tell it was only 2 cylinders? I will be getting a lexus afm soon and doing the timing via timing light when that is installed. Unfortunately im a broke college student and dont have a lot of cash to throw at it right now for all that plus a piggyback and tune so that'll have to wait until this summer

Registered
Unfortunately the car never came with any other injectors besides the 550ccs so i wouldn't've been able to just switch them out. How coukd you tell it was only 2 cylinders? I will be getting a lexus afm soon and doing the timing via timing light when that is installed. Unfortunately im a broke college student and dont have a lot of cash to throw at it right now for all that plus a piggyback and tune so that'll have to wait until this summer
The erratic idle is the giveaway. Now it could also be an injection timing issue.

These 7m and most inline 6 should be smooth as silk at idle even with big injectors.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts