Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I have a tiny tiny leak where the adapter for the turbo coolant hose meets the thermostat housing (the left thing in the picture, obviously.) After driving there is just a bit of coolant around the base of it. I'm sure that thing is threaded, so is it likely that unscrewing it and putting some RTV on the threads then rethreading it would fix it? I would assume RTVing the threads and letting it dry before I fill the system with coolant again won't get the RTV gunk in the coolant system at all, would it? Thanks!

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
That sounds like it would work but you also may want to look into thread sealant i belive it would work. its used alot on boat header bolts to keep water froom seeping in behind them. You should be able to get you some at your local parts store

Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
sg02 said:

I have a tiny tiny leak where the adapter for the turbo coolant hose meets the thermostat housing (the left thing in the picture, obviously.) After driving there is just a bit of coolant around the base of it. I'm sure that thing is threaded, so is it likely that unscrewing it and putting some RTV on the threads then rethreading it would fix it? I would assume RTVing the threads and letting it dry before I fill the system with coolant again won't get the RTV gunk in the coolant system at all, would it? Thanks!
Yeah its threaded, its a pipe thread, so you should be able to use some liquid teflon to seal it up, that or buy a new fitting, shouldn't be to expensive... aight peace :chicken:

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
BoostAddctn said:
Yeah its threaded, its a pipe thread, so you should be able to use some liquid teflon to seal it up, that or buy a new fitting, shouldn't be to expensive... aight peace :chicken:
Hello B.A.,
Teflon tape works fine there, too. As for the fitting, renewal is an option. EG:
Before

After

There's gold down there, if you dig deep enough.
:)
Take care.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I just use fine sand paper and get the junk off of them? Or would that harm the sensing abilities. How did you clean those sensors?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
sg02 said:
Can I just use fine sand paper and get the junk off of them? Or would that harm the sensing abilities. How did you clean those sensors?
I used a wirebrush on mine but he might have polished his with a buffer

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
wire brush or buffer

as you see the sensors are BRASS. Meaning anything that has an aggresive cut will start taking brass off pretty quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts