Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have one? or even driven one? hows the power, gas, ride, blah blah, likes ? dislikes??

i was thinking about getting one, its kinda like a jeep, but actually runs right....

·
Registered
167 Posts
i thnk they are fugly as all sin , they look like a big ass tonka toy , i heard from a friend whos dad has a yellow one that it wasnt terrible on gas but it not good , and i really dislike the interior IMO

-fox

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'd like to know as well. I like them very much, they look good to me.

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
I think they are the shit. Most likely going to be my next purchase. Awesome offroad, interior fabric is water resistant and with rubber floors you can hose out. Based off the 4-runner, toyota quality and reliabilty. Motor trend said the only reason the Xterra won SUV the year was cause the FJ wasn't out in time for the test. Supposedly ride very comfortably on the road as well. Love the way they look.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
I drove one extensively a few weeks back. Here is a quick review:

Drivetrain: very good engine, smooth, reliable, plenty powerful, awesome automatic transmission (did not try the 6 speed, but it feels OK in the Tacoma), a tad on the gaz guzzler side however. Blame the aerodynamics for that. :)

Comfort: very comfortable. very low wind noises at highway speeds even if the shape of the truck might lead to think otherwise. The whole engine/tranny/tire noises are also very limited. Seats offer good comfort and OK support. Visibilty SUCKS, especially in the 3/4 view. At the front, it's decent however. Mirrors are big enough. Access to the cab is relatively easy for front passengers, rear passengers have to cope with a half-door (can't think of any other way to explain it) like on pick up trucks. Once in though, they are greeted with plenty of leg and head room. The sound system is very good, with an in-dash 6 CD/MP3 changer. There is a jack for iPod and other types of MP3 player.

As mentionned earlier, performance is very good for a V6 truck. The tranny does a very good job at using the power on hand, with well-spaced gear ratios, smooth shifting under light load and crisp ones under high load. Stability in the corners is ok for a truck, braking is powerful (even if there is quite a bit of nose dive under hard braking) and the steering is communicating well the different road conditions without being intrusive.

The biggest thrill of this truck IMO is that it was DESIGNED, not just created to sell. The exterior theme is carried in the interior, with rugged commands, cool shiny door handles, the constantly white roof, no matter which color you pick, and the roof rack. It all creates an atmosphere of toughness without being obnoxious like the H2 and H3. Overall, I just LOVE this truck. I really really want one...as soon as university is done...;)

-Olivier

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Good Review! I'd like to test drive one myself. Thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
300 percent density said:
anyone have one? or even driven one? hows the power, gas, ride, blah blah, likes ? dislikes??

i was thinking about getting one, its kinda like a jeep, but actually runs right....

Ted aka EVSMOTORS have a blue FJ. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
In a nutshell because I've typed out my review twice and can't find it on SF,

Like:

- Drives awesome, well sorted suspension that ends up smoother and more solid than you'd expect by the vehicle's look.
- Available standard trans.
- Great all around power from the engine room. The 4.0L gest very respectable mileage in Tacomas and 4R's, so I would expect the FJ to be very close.....guys on the 4R board are around 20mpg in mixed driving.....up over 25 highway.
- Good 4wd system with lots of toys to play with (ATRAC, locker, low range etc)
- Rearward visibility not as bad as I'd expected.....frontward visibility is awesome.
- Looks killer, even bigger in real life.
- 32" OEM tire clearance
- Strong brakes
- Stereo in the top model rocks pretty good
- Painted interior bits
- Comfy seats and awesome driving position with tons of drive room every direction.

Don't like:

- Available standard trans has mediocre gear ratios, 1st and 2nd much to high for my tastes. 6 gears in a 4wd vehicle should have a couple real stump-pullers to start out, but it doesn't. As in the Tacomas, the new shifters and clutch pedals feel more wussified than the older 90's trucks....good for some, dissapointing for others that like a nice mechanical feel.
- No sunroof, and rear glass doesn't open.....driver and passenger windows and that's it.
- No 2wd mode w/standard trans.
- That's about it

Bottom line:

- It's on my "to buy once I sell all this other crap" list.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My sister has one. It has 3 windshield wipers. Comfortable interior. Suicide doors are crap. Decent on gas (relatively speaking). Very Plastic-y interior.

I Drive it every chance that I get!

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
Anyone have any experience with interior space on the FJ in terms of hauling things & people? I like the idea of this vehicle, but it seems like it would be small for my needs (wife/kid/dog/gear) and I don't know if it is worth test driving another vehicle I may love but is impractical. Thanks in advance.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
quick said:
Olivier -- What is a "rugged command"?
The interior commands have a "rugged" look to it: big buttons, does not look cheap and looks robust. Sorry for being imprecise... :1poke: :sadance: :sadance:

:D

-Olivier

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
The interior commands have a "rugged" look to it: big buttons, does not look cheap and looks robust. Sorry for being imprecise... :1poke: :sadance: :sadance:

:D
Ok... I've never heard "command" used in referring to interior controls. Is that what you mean? Controls/buttons/stalks/etc? :dunno:

You were precise -- I just don't understand your lingo. :)

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
:lol:

Yes, that's what I meant. Maybe it's the french-canadian brain acting up on me. :D

-Olivier

·
Registered
386 Posts
I went and looked at these at the local TOYOTA dealership, as others mentioned I wasnt too fond of the interior or the fact dealer wanted $9000 OVER sticker price. I just laughed like you gotta be kidding.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
Northof49 said:
- Looks killer, even bigger in real life.
:werd: For some reason I thought it was going to be a little smaller than the 4Runner. The thing is massive and looks awesome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm i might go check one out and test drive it... gas mileage could be a little better but what can ya do.... i love my jeep, but it sucks, a fj is KINDA like it in a way.....

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I shouldn't like it but I do :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts