Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since search is down...

I'm in the market for a WB set up. Have heard from several that believe FJO is unmatched due to the sensor, however I notice that at least one prominent shop on the forums uses the AEM. I am looking for assistance so that I might make a fully informed decision. Any input/insights/personal anecdotes welcome.

Affordability is not an issue, but I believe stongly in getting full value for my money when multiple options exist. The FJO seems to be much more expensive, especially if purchasing the ability to datalog. While I'm asking, is that a necessary feature? I'm confused by the options when purchasing the FJO unit. There's a single channel controller, a 2 channel controller, and the connectivity/datalogging unit.

My car is currently a stock bottom end (for now), fuel, AEM, GTR70. Since it is a toy and not a DD, I intend to run race gas a good percentage of the time. Furthermore, please note that the car will be professionally tuned only. I do not intend to personally tinker with the tuning, incase that would influence your advice.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
People swear by XXX product for XXX reason. Before, there weren't very many options when it came to in car mounted wideband units. I think FJO established their name during this time, and have really stuck with some as the leader. However, over the past few years, there have been several options introduced that are a far better value IMO.

Some will claim they get crazy amount of mileage out of an NTK sensor, but they run around $200 each. And it's not like they give you a warranty that it will be withing .1 accuracy for XXX amount of miles. I personally went with the Zeitronix ZT-2, it uses a Bosch sensor like the AEM, and I believe the Innovate unit as well.

I pay $60 per wideband sensor. I only drive my car about 2k-3k miles per year, and I have no problem replacing it once a year at that price. It's only just now starting to get pretty narrow, which means it is time to change, but I got well over 5k miles with it. My car runs pretty rich in some spots, which is what I think killed it. Plus leaded fuel occasionally.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
If I were to spend money on a wideband right now it would definitely be the Innovate unit. Uses the bosch sensor as well, but you can throw the NTK on it if you want to as well. Here is a good read on it.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627

Main reason for me is that almost every other company calibrates these at sea level. I live about 6000 feet above sea level. I'd rather be able to self calibrate mine, and have the warning features than just blindly agreeing with the sensor. That's just me though.

Alex

·
OG
1,059 Posts
I have a Zeitronix. Love it. However, soon after I used leaded gas, the (Bosch)sensor died. With the understanding that you will be running leaded fuel, based on conventional wisdom and mt personal experience, make sure that you use one with the NTK sensor.

Other than that, I think the Zeitronix is hard to beat for a reasonably priced monitoring package.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
from some of the research that i have done between the FJO and the AEM, it really depends on how you run your car. If you plan on switching between race gas and pump gas, the AEM unit is not for you. I have read that the sensor can get messed up pretty quickly. The FJO unit however, can adjust between pump and race gas.

If you run pump gas only or race gas only, the AEM unit will work fine.

I am still debating between units, so I am curious to hear what other people have to say on this topic. it will help me make my decision when I purchase my WB in the next few weeks.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
from some of the research that i have done between the FJO and the AEM, it really depends on how you run your car. If you plan on switching between race gas and pump gas, the AEM unit is not for you. I have read that the sensor can get messed up pretty quickly. The FJO unit however, can adjust between pump and race gas.

If you run pump gas only or race gas only, the AEM unit will work fine.

I am still debating between units, so I am curious to hear what other people have to say on this topic. it will help me make my decision when I purchase my WB in the next few weeks.
I assume you mean if you use the NTK sensor, and not the FJO in particular. If you buy an FJO with the Bosch sensor, then you are in the same boat. A sensor can not adjust between what kind of gas you are running, it does what it always does no matter what you put in the car.

Alex

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
word around the camp fire is that FJO isn't what it used to be....i have heard of quite a few switching to the innovate unit....it has some pretty good features....

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Oh snap he came out of posting retirement! :p But yeah, for the money you pay for the damn thing you might as well buy the Innovate, which has a cooler display as well. :D

Alex

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
I assume you mean if you use the NTK sensor, and not the FJO in particular. If you buy an FJO with the Bosch sensor, then you are in the same boat. A sensor can not adjust between what kind of gas you are running, it does what it always does no matter what you put in the car.

Alex
I don't know much about the sensors, but I was told that some of the sensors struggle to adjust between pump and C16 gas and that it actually kills the sensor to switch between the gases.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
The sensor only knows one thing, oxygen content, that's why they call it an "O2 sensor". So it really doesn't care what kind of fuel is being burned ...other than the important fact that lead in fuel kills the sensitivity of some sensors faster than others. I have the NTK since I burn leaded gas sometimes. If you never use leaded, it's not worth getting the more expensive O2 sensor.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
FJO with NTK sensor best route to go if your plan to run race gas.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
NGK with NTK sensor...best bang for the buck IMO. I've used one on my personal car and a customers car. The display isn't quite as nice as an FJO, but at half the price, I didn't mind :)

Tim
Agreed, if I didn't already have an FJO I'd be all over this. Its like $260 w/ display and sensor.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
Anything with an NTK sensor and, if budget is not a problem, HKS Knock Amp/WB02 (comes with NTK). Six-wire 02, very fast and accurate and its range is 9.0 to 21.0 IIRC.

Ken.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Which sensor does the NGK come with? I see everywhere that it says you can use the Bosch or the NTK, but nothing says which sensor you will be getting. Looks like it has one analog output as well, and free air cal.

Alex

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Which sensor does the NGK come with? I see everywhere that it says you can use the Bosch or the NTK, but nothing says which sensor you will be getting. Looks like it has one analog output as well, and free air cal.

Alex

It comes with the Bosch, but you can upgrade (depending on vendor) to the NTK for ~$100 more.

Tim

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all for the input so far. Given my intention to use both pump and race gas, with a greater percentage of time on race gas, I am down to the Innovative, HKS, and FJO units. AEM seems out of the running, and I just can't wrap my brain around the NGK display. I agree, functionality should come first, but aesthetics is second, and to me, that is one ugly unit.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts