Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, from HPF and MVP, flex a lite goes for around 350 or more.

on suprastore, it goes for 220, can someone tell me what's different on suprastore fans? I am sure they are not just cheaper as Dusty usually is the cheapest but i would like to know what's the difference.

thanks

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1fastsupra said:
its probably because one kit comes with a thermostat relay box.........and one doesn't
hmm yeah that might be it.

how do you wire the fans if you don't have the relay box?

·
Registered
345 Posts
you would have to make your own relay circuit to power up the fans (bosch 12v) one per fan..........as far as the thermostat you would either have to install a universal one (purchase from auto parts store) or leave fans to run constantly......the better deal is to purchase the kit supplied for the fans(a lot easier to install)

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,717 Posts
I would suggest NOT doing the dual fan setup as I have it and I am returning my car to the stock fan/shroud setup. They do not move as much air as the stock fan/shroud setup does so you are going to be running atleast 20 degrees hotter than normal.

Just mho,
Gregg

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
texasmr2 said:
I would suggest NOT doing the dual fan setup as I have it and I am returning my car to the stock fan/shroud setup. They do not move as much air as the stock fan/shroud setup does so you are going to be running atleast 20 degrees hotter than normal.

Just mho,
Gregg
Agreed x2. Puma, the real question is not why the price differential, but why you want to switch out the stock fan/shroud for the flex-a-lite dual fan set-up in the first place? Nobody that I know that has the flex-a-lites, or the AAP version for that matter, reports anything other than less cooling ability. This is another one of those cases of fixing something that's not broke and second guessing Toyota's considerable R & D resources.

Years ago, when the flex-a-lites were just coming to the market, I challenged one of the flex-a-lite representatives at SEMA to prove their kit was better than stock. After avoiding my questions for the better part of 40 minutes, the rep finally agreed the flex-a-lites could not match the performance of the stock fan/shroud. Even with all the overheating horror stories, guys still continue to go this route for reasons (other than aesthetics) that are unknown to me.

Ken.

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well actually it's not for me, a friend of mine is looking for that kit and said he was going to buy it of suprastore, i said there is no way they have the best price, so i decided to search for him a little.

i will tell him though that he is better keeping the stock fan.

His is a mk3 though, is it the same thing?

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,717 Posts
puma said:
His is a mk3 though, is it the same thing?
If Toyota through their vast research found the dual ,smaller fan blade, setup to superior they would have gone that way.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Marc-P said:
Get some 14" Zirgos if anything!
Zirgos have proven problems also...

The mk3s stock fan/shroud flows 4500cfms if im not mistaken. The flexalites are 2500cfms. The only time i would consider e-fans for the mk3 are if i had a good radiator. Even then you must be careful of how you go about doing it. On my Saab i run an adjustable thermostatic switch to run the fan on there.

Tim

·
rip supra, new car soon
786 Posts
on the topic of fans, which fan flows more air, the 7m fan, or the 1j hydro fans?

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Most likely the hydro fans... though ive never seen the actual cfm numbers. Hydraulic fans can be a hassle though.

·
rip supra, new car soon
786 Posts
selz202 said:
Most likely the hydro fans... though ive never seen the actual cfm numbers. Hydraulic fans can be a hassle though.

why are they a hassle?

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
It is just not quite as conventional as the other methods. You have a pump driven by another pump to drive a fan, that utilizes an ecu. When you compare to e-fans or a clutch type it has more to it than the both of those. The e-fans weaklink could be the thermo switch or what ever method of using them. The 7ms weaklink in the fan is the clutch, which really isnt one. More like the brittle shroud. I guess what i mean by a hassle is more like sophistication, sophistication leads to more points of failure. Dont get me wrong hydro fans work great, but as i mod my car i also look for simplicity. I dont know what you are looking to cool, but the 7ms fan setup is great, so is the 1js, and the 2jzs. I would not change any one of those. A good radiator is all thats called for really.

·
rip supra, new car soon
786 Posts
well i'm starting my second 1j car and was wondering if I should bother with the hydro fans. The first 1j car I just used the 7m fan, no problems or hassles. I guess it was just a curiosity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts