Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted a few times on this forum recently because I'm trying to figure out what year supra I want to buy. right now I'm considering buying a 1997 supra. It was damaged in a fresh water street flood. It has been professionally cleaned so I don't have to worry about the interior and the exterior looks very good also. But the engine won't start. what kind of damage would an engine get from a fresh water flood. It was not run in the flood so I can't imagine that water was sucked up into the engine. so I would think that it is an electrical problem. My Dad has a sick garage so I can basically completely take the car apart to fix any problems and put it back together. It only has 44k miles and it's only $7900, I was just wondering if anyone thinks this is a good deal?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
if you want to deal with tons of issues that may come up go for it. but i would never buy a car that was taken swimming. just my 2 cents.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Could need anything from the battery terminals cleaned to a new engine, complete wiring harness (engine & body) and every electrical component in the car inluding the radio, ecu, window switches and everything else.

I guess it depends on how much it needs wether or not it is a good deal. Someone is trying to sell a 93 with no engine/trans. for $19k in the for sale section.....

G

·
chevyeater-on-sf said:
Could need anything from the battery terminals cleaned to a new engine, complete wiring harness (engine & body) and every electrical component in the car inluding the radio, ecu, window switches and everything else.

I guess it depends on how much it needs wether or not it is a good deal. Someone is trying to sell a 93 with no engine/trans. for $19k in the for sale section.....
Haha is that the guy from toronto? hes a complete idiot

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
What makes you say that?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
What makes you say that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think I'm going to buy a wrecked supra, one with a bad front end crash. Then I'm just going to swap out everything electronic I can. Does anyone know how many NA supra electronics are the same as the TT?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I'm just going to contact my local junkyard and see If they can help me find a wrecked MKIV. But I have one question, does anyone know what years will work. What I mean is if I have a 97 what years will have almost all the same electrical components.

·
Registered
346 Posts
imnotcreative72 said:
My Dad has a sick garage so I can basically completely take the car apart to fix any problems and put it back together.
:) "My dad's a plumber. He's got a killer set of tools!" hahaha.

As for the electrical components....it's going to depend on what you need. Certain parts will work from all MKIV years (93.5-98), and some will have to be from the OBDII years, 97-98, if you are going to get the 97'.

Good luck on your decision.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
if you plan to build the supra into a MONSTER. i would say buy this watered supra, cuz you need to do the work anyway. if you going to build this watered supra back to stock. i would say go buy a supra with no water damage. so, you don't have to gamble.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts