Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the terms under which a private seller must follow when selling a salvagd vehicle to a private buyer?

I bought my Supra about 10 months ago and recently ran a carfax to find that it had a salvage title. The previous owner didn't tell me anything about it even being in a wreck and I now want to get my money back. Is it to late file a report like this and can I get my money refunded?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
think it is worded "let the buyer beware"

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
research is key when buying a used car.. never go on anyones word..

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
if the title clearly stated word "rebuilt" in the " brand" section , there is nothing you can do about getting your money, unless it was a cheating dealer,which has to by law disclose that fact and put that on bill of sale and have you sign it when you buy the car

·
SupraForums Member
1,540 Posts
I don't think there is much you can do, I've seen it happen twice, trading in a private salvage titled car to a dealer...The dealer calls up a few days later and complains, the person that traded in the car offers to take the car back and give back the trade, but the dealer just lets it go.

Run a carfax before buying next time

good luck

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
FYI, regarding Carfax, a clean Carfax report doesn't necessarily mean shit. If the title were branded (salvage, dealer buy-back, etc.) it would probably show up on Carfax. BUT, if a car has been wrecked and repaired it May or May NOT show up on Carfax. A friend here in Jax has a car that has been wrecked 5 times that he knows of and it has a perfect Carfax report. And I know of some others like that (though not 5 wrecks!). If Carfax says there's a problem, there's probably a problem. However, just because a vehcile gets a clean Carfax report, that doesn't mean shit. Check the car out THOROUGHLY anyway.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
FYI, regarding Carfax, a clean Carfax report doesn't necessarily mean shit. If the title were branded (salvage, dealer buy-back, etc.) it would probably show up on Carfax. BUT, if a car has been wrecked and repaired it May or May NOT show up on Carfax. A friend here in Jax has a car that has been wrecked 5 times that he knows of and it has a perfect Carfax report. And I know of some others like that (though not 5 wrecks!). If Carfax says there's a problem, there's probably a problem. However, just because a vehcile gets a clean Carfax report, that doesn't mean shit. Check the car out THOROUGHLY anyway.
lol ,he already knows there is a problem, and wants the money back :1poke:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
exvelocity said:
lol ,he already knows there is a problem, and wants the money back :1poke:
My post followed someone who suggested running a Carfax before purchasing, and was to let people know that while a Carfax might show a given problem, it can't be relied on to show everything that may have happened to any particular vehicle.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
My post followed someone who suggested running a Carfax before purchasing, and was to let people know that while a Carfax might show a given problem, it can't be relied on to show everything that may have happened to any particular vehicle.
i can attest to that! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wrecked my car back in 03, Insurance repaired it and the thing still does not show up on carfax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts