Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new fluidyne. The install was very easy and striaght forward, however, the bottom drain plug leaks. It seems as if coolant is coming out of both the 'bigger' nut and the smaller hand twist screw. I've tourqued both screws to hell already and i has just slowed down the leak... its really pissing me of now. Has anyone had a similar problem w/ their fluidyne? Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

-chris

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Had the same problem. Must use teflon tape on the drain plug and the temp sensor. I tried teflon paste first and it still leaked so don't try that.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about doing that too but am scared that the teflon will not be able to withstand the extreme heat from the radiator. Maybe it could burn it up and get cycled thru the radiator fluid? How long has your teflon tape been on the screws?

thanks,
chris

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
On the stock radiator both those plugs are sealed with O-rings.

Teflon tape will start to leak after a while, its purpose in life is to prevent threads from seizing, not stopping leaks.

Try a soft metal washer (copper or aluminum) where the body of the sensor or drain plug seats to the radiator.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I used teflon tape and now leaking...maybe I need to go look under my car????

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I can't find the sheet that came with the radiator but I'm pretty sure it said to use sealant or tape since the drain doesn'ts seal with an o ring like stock. I've had the tape on for 1500 miles with no leaks. Anyway, I went to the fluidyne message board and this is what one of the techs from fluidyne said:

If you did not use teflon tape or a thread sealer on the drain plug when you installed it, leaks can occur there. If it is leaking, I recommend draining the radiator and then re-installing the drain plug with teflon tape (available at any parts store). It's a little time consuming, but it will keep you from having to add coolant each week!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Also, I'm not sure if a washer would work on the temp sensor, but I don't see how it would work on the drain. The drain fitting doesn't screw all the way to the body of the radiator to the point where it would seal. I used quite a bit of tape when I wrapped mine. I tried paste sealant at first, but it leaked.

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
Hmm...maybe tape works. See what happens after 30k miles.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Teflon worked for me. It doesn't actually seal, its a lubricant to help pipe-threads seal themselves.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My fluidyne is only leaking from the drain plug (i thought), but since you guys are having problems w/ the sensor, I will check that out tomorrow.

I've got the drain plug torqued down so far that the body of the nut is almost touching the radiator. Chip, ur plan may work if I can get it down a little further, but am scared because the bolt seems tightened waaay beyond normal. Tomorrow Im going to try the teflon and see if that does the trick.

Mr94supra,
Are you saying that your radiator is leaking now, and you have teflon on your drain plug? Did you check it out to see if it is in fact coming from the plug? How many miles have you had tape on there?

Grant,
How many miles has tape been on your bolts? You road race too correct? Do you often change your coolant and replace the tape or has it been there for a while?

Thanks for everyone's reply. Im just trying to see if the tape can take to the heat and mileage I put on the car. Also, is it just me or is this a problem that fluidyne should fix in the future?

tia, sorry for long reply
-chris

·
In The Sonoran Desert
450 Posts
hmmm. I was contemplating buying this radiator as part of the upgrades necessary to go single. Now I am wondering whether I want to spend $500 on something that will leak unless I put teflon tape on it. WTF?

So there is a temp sensor which I imagine is the stock Toyota unit and a drain plug which I assume comes from Fluidyne. They couldn't design an o-ring on the drain plug? Can you use your old drain plug?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It's not really that big of a deal. The bottom of the stock radiator is molded plastic if I remember right, and was designed to seal with the o ring. The fluidyne is all metal and it was more practical to use a weld on NPT fitting for the drain. The old drain plug does not fit.

I'm happy with the fluidyne. I put a TRD thermostat in at the same time and dropped my coolant temps around 30 degrees.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I put teflon on my fluidyne and haven't had any leaks. The teflon has been there for about 2k miles.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just finished wrapping the screw w/ teflon, solved my prob too. :) Hopefully it doesn't start dripping agian.

chris

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
I used teflon tape also, like you should on most things where fluids are involved, or air, and I have had no leakage problems at all... hope that it all gets worked out for you guys. The radiator is a good unit, I'm glad that I invested in one.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
teflon is not going to melt at all. teflon is what they used on the space shuttle to use as heat deflection. look at the head teflon pans get. 250F isn't going to do squat to teflon. Considering that is what most people use to seal/lubricate oil feed lines :)

Sid

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
Isn't that a little "ghetto" for such a large company? There is no other solution other using teflon?

Also, Phu brought up a good question, does the same problem occur in the PHR radiators?

Joe

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sidwin said:
teflon is not going to melt at all. teflon is what they used on the space shuttle to use as heat deflection. look at the head teflon pans get. 250F isn't going to do squat to teflon. Considering that is what most people use to seal/lubricate oil feed lines :)

Sid
That is a relief to know!!! But still, I agree w/ LLCoolJ, I think fluidyne should have a better solution.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
DANKAHOLIC: I feel like your avatar says, "wtf?" I think Fluidyne could come up with or already has a better solution than teflon. Teflon is something I would expect to see on a DSM turbo kit, not a Fluidyne radiator.

Joe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts