Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done the rewire exactly as follows on SOGI (if unfamiliar, please resort here: http://www.supras.com/04/resources/index.php?id=42&start=31 ).

Here is my best explaination to what I did:

- Under the section Rewire the foglight switch, I snipped the red/green wire and taped the end going ot the wire harness. I attached a screw-type connector to the switch end of the wire. I then cut the white/black ground wire to the rear defrost in half, stripped, then binded the wire back together and put it in the other end of the screw type connector

- Under the section Rewire the foglights relay, I verified I had the correct relay as indicated and cut the red/black wire. Using the same screw-type connector as above, I attached one end to the red/blk wire that goes to the relay and an extension wire to the other end of the connector. I then routed the extension wire to the 7.5A "GAUGE" fuse.

Now my fogs dont come on at all. What the hell??? Is there an easier way to do this or did I mess up on something? Any help is appreciated.

·
eighty-7t on SM
444 Posts
i had the exact same problem man, no one seemed to help me out when i asked for help. well one guy did but i didnt get what he was talking about....if you get any help, let me know asap.

-jose

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
yeah, i had troubles understand those directions as well. i don't remember the wire colors, but the one at the relay was for constant power, which i spliced off of another wire i found under the dash with my multi-meter.........the one at the switch is for constant ground which comes off of the defroster. but i wired mine to come on whenever i damn want, so if you want yours to come on with your side markers, you must tap into one of those wires, but it would be easy to find with a multi-meter.

good luck

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
di_rosa : Can you tell me exactly how you did yours by telling me the wire colors? I dont really care if they come on with or without the corner lights, I just want them to be able to come on without the headlights. This is EXTREMELY frusterating because this is the second time Ive fucked up my foglights when Im not mechanically declined :mad:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
as far as i remember, the wire colors were the exact same as listed in the sogi directions, just i connected the one at the relay to a different spot. but i will take a look tomorrow for you (it's 3am where i am).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
out of about 30 pictures of the relay, this was the best one. mind you, it is -20 with no garage, so use your imagination!

at the switch cluster, take red-green wire from foglight switch, cut it, and connect the switch side of the wire to the black-white wire on the defroster. do not cut the black-white wire, merely clear some wire off, wrap the foglight wire around, use some solder, and cover it up with electrical tape.

for the relay, it is the red-black wire that is at the bottom right of the harness. cut it off, and connect that wire to any positive voltage you can find. i used the stereo wire that was custom ran by the PO.

and that's it. use a multi-meter to verify your wire has +12V, and thats it.

the pics should be below.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
btw, if you're having problems locating the wires from the switch cluster, they are both the 2nd from the bottom. so if you count from the bottom of the harness up, it is the 2nd one on both foglight and defroster.

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Does this illustration show how to make them come on whenever or with your running lights? I want mine to come on with the running lights.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
well, if you wanted your lights to come on when the runnings lights are one, you could either leave the switch always on, and instead of connect the relay wire to constant power, tap into the wire going to the running lights, so when they come on, so do the foglights.......otherwise, you could probably connect two wires in the foglight switch effectively making it useless, and then you wouldn't have any control over it.........

but anyways, take a multimeter, and search around the headlight switch for the wire that gets +12v when you turn on the running lights, and run a wire from there to the relay. your choice on the switch

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
di_rosa said:
well, if you wanted your lights to come on when the runnings lights are one, you could either leave the switch always on, and instead of connect the relay wire to constant power, tap into the wire going to the running lights, so when they come on, so do the foglights.......otherwise, you could probably connect two wires in the foglight switch effectively making it useless, and then you wouldn't have any control over it.........

but anyways, take a multimeter, and search around the headlight switch for the wire that gets +12v when you turn on the running lights, and run a wire from there to the relay. your choice on the switch
Alright I will leave switch on all the time as this is what I do anyways. So all I have to do to make them come on with running lights is, cut red-black wire shown in picture and tap it in the wire that power running lights. I will do your method in finding the wire buy using a multimeter and searching for what picks up as 12+volts when running lights are switched on.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I was out and about with my multi-meter looking for a power wire and I decided to try the wires that go to the light that is in the panel below the steering wheel (beside the hood-pop latch). I tried the 2 wires and sure enough both receive constant power all the time. So I tapped into one of those wires and sure enough it works....VERY simple. Scared that the power would be cut when the door shuts, I checked and sure enough the power was still on even 45 seconds after the door was closed. Just to varify I tapped into the red/grey wire (instead of the red/yellow).

So basically just follow the SOGI version up to the routing of the relay extension wire from the fog relay. Take that wire and route it to the light that is beside the hood-pop release (either of the two wires will work). We'll see if I run into any problems but it looks like it works because I can turn on the fogs whenever I want (even when the car is off) :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
How much of the dash needs to be taken off to get to the foglight relay? I have the switch panel removed, and the lower panel below the steering wheel removed, but still it is very tight reaching into where the relay is...So what exactly needs to be removed to easily be able to reach the relay?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
eeeeek i messed something up!

I took off the switch panel and unplugged the three switches, i just follwed all the wires, didnt cut them or anything, i just followed them to the harness. I touched the relay box, didnt disconnect anything...while i was reaching i hit the highbeams on accidentally and the headlights popped up, and now they won't go back down, they are stuck in a half up position. When i play with the headlight toggle I can hear the relay clicking but no lights come on.

Also the car won't even turn on now...nothing works, except the dash lights come on, and the dome lights come on, but they are very dim. My car is an electrical nightmare...so I'm guessing I blew some fuses or maybe my battery is basically dead...It's to cold right now to check so I will look tomorrow.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just to varify I tapped into the red/grey wire (instead of the red/yellow).

So basically just follow the SOGI version up to the routing of the relay extension wire from the fog relay. Take that wire and route it to the light that is beside the hood-pop release (either of the two wires will work).

Don't use the red/yellow wire! I am looking at my schematic and I think I know the light bulb that you are talking about, the "Step Light". My book (for an '88) shows red and red/yellow. The red is good because it comes from the fuse. The red/yellow is bad because you are getting power through the light bulb. That means you may not get enough power and you may lose it when the bulb burns out. Also, you will have ground, instead of power, when the interior lights are turned on.

Stick with the solid red (or apparently, red/gray).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
K-dog said:

Don't use the red/yellow wire! I am looking at my schematic and I think I know the light bulb that you are talking about, the "Step Light". My book (for an '88) shows red and red/yellow. The red is good because it comes from the fuse. The red/yellow is bad because you are getting power through the light bulb. That means you may not get enough power and you may lose it when the bulb burns out. Also, you will have ground, instead of power, when the interior lights are turned on.

Stick with the solid red (or apparently, red/gray).

Good heads up. I chose the the other one because it receives constant power with the bulb still working. My bulb is currently burnt out, but the fogs work fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts