Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Heavy Metal Momentum
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some flywheel and clutch insight from folks using these on track. I'm hoping to find something that'll hold more power and engage similar to stock.

I had been looking for a chromolly FW thinking it would hold up better, are there any problems to note with AL versions on track? How about an AL piece using steel friction surface?

What type of disk do most people prefer? I've only driven with stock clutches in the past.

Thanks for any help,
Brian

· Custom User Title
2,660 Posts
I was hoping to get some flywheel and clutch insight from folks using these on track. I'm hoping to find something that'll hold more power and engage similar to stock.

I had been looking for a chromolly FW thinking it would hold up better, are there any problems to note with AL versions on track? How about an AL piece using steel friction surface?

What type of disk do most people prefer? I've only driven with stock clutches in the past.

Thanks for any help,
Brian
I think all AL flywheels use a steel friction insert and I've never had any problems with AL flywheels in various cars. But I have read that feramic clutches shouldn't be mated to them. You'll need to recognize that lightweight flywheels will not "drive like stock" though. That said, it isn't difficult to compensate (a touch more throttle when leaving a stoplight). And a lw flywheel more than makes up for this by quicker rev-matched downshifts.

As for clutches, at your power level I think a full-faced kevlar disc would be more than adequate and give you pretty good life. You could probably get away with a stock pressure plate, although one with a mildly upgraded rate might give you more peace of mind (at the expense of pedal pressure).

· Registered
3,745 Posts
I'm curious too as I have read that certain clutches are not good with a lightened flywheel.

· Custom User Title
2,660 Posts
I'm curious too as I have read that certain clutches are not good with a lightened flywheel.
The only issues I've ever heard have been specifically the feramic clutch with AL flywheels, and even then, it is from a drag-racing point of view. The prolonged slipping during drag launches can create enough heat to fuse the feramic disc to the flywheel (because it can't absorb & dissipate heat as readily as a steel unit with twice the mass). So even with a feramic & AL flywheel, I doubt it would ever be an issue for a road racer unless you participate in events with a standing start. You just don't spend that much time slipping the clutch when hot lapping...

· Heavy Metal Momentum
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have yet to find a steel FW for the Mk3 other than one on Ebay (made by CBHaus?) which would be my preferred material but doesn't look likely.

I'm hoping it doesn't drive like stock, but want to keep engagement similar :)
I'll look into a kevlar disk, some folks had mentioned problems with certain setups and thats what I was hoping people would chime in on.
Thanks,
Brian

· Custom User Title
2,660 Posts
I have yet to find a steel FW for the Mk3 other than one on Ebay (made by CBHaus?) which would be my preferred material but doesn't look likely.
If you're dead set on steel, JUN makes a chromoly one for the 7mgte, but you'll pay a premium for it...

· OG
1,187 Posts
For about 3 years and 40 something thoudand miles, I have been using a South Bend setup, their DXD IIRC, with a stock flywheel. Pedal is a little stiffer than stock, but engagement rivals stock in smoothness. I drive the car often, and do about 3 or 4 DE events per year.

My wife drives the car on occasion, and has no problem with the clutch at all. I don't know what power you are making, but if this clutch supports the power you are making, I would recommend it highly.

· Heavy Metal Momentum
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad you posted that, I ordered one this morning and now saw your post. We'll see how it does, thanks for the input.

Brian

· Registered
79 Posts
For about 3 years and 40 something thoudand miles, I have been using a South Bend setup, their DXD IIRC, with a stock flywheel. Pedal is a little stiffer than stock, but engagement rivals stock in smoothness. I drive the car often, and do about 3 or 4 DE events per year.

My wife drives the car on occasion, and has no problem with the clutch at all. I don't know what power you are making, but if this clutch supports the power you are making, I would recommend it highly.
Do you have any links for this i want to look it up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.