Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, weve recently put in a new RPS clutch and Flywheel setup and i LOVE the feel of it all......HOWEVER, the damn flywheel rattles like HELL!! I KNOW I KNOW its "NORMAL" for a little rattle but good god it sounds like an old Massey-Ferguson tractor!! It doesnt rattle at all when cold or when the clutch is engaged but once it warms up and sits it gets VERY loud esp after hard pulls. Should i worry about this at all or is it just normal? I dont remember hearing such a loud rattle on other Supras at the last Texas meet.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. You should be proud! Do you know how much torque a Massey_Ferguson tractor puts out?!!!

The amount of rattle could be related to the tranny fluid type, but best to use the "recommended" fluid anyway. I just mean that I've noted varying rattle noise with different viscosity and type of fuids.

PS: besides the LWFW, I have three plates occasionally rattling around in the otherwise already noisy Getrag, so I'm learing to like the noise and kinda miss it when I don't hear it. Did anyone ever notice the noise is right in synch with 50cent's song "...every 'hood that we go to, all the gangsta's they know my whole crew..."?

Another way I look at it is that it's a "badge of honor"; kinda like an oozing bloody scar a Marine might get in Bagdad that we should honor him for putting his life on the line for us...

But if you hate it anyway, go back to the stock dual-mass FW :(

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
So True!!

You know....the stock stereo wasn't all that inadequate until the LWFW goes in. After that, we need to add 50+lb of stereo/amp to drown out the flywheel/clutch noise!

I'm going to a stock FW with a South Bend DXD clutch. Stock noise, smooth engagement, and can take BPU+++ and small single power levels. But performance will suffer for it.

From what I can tell, it's still the normal LWFW noise. Everyone I've ever talked to says the same thing - "It's SO loud....there must be something wrong with it."

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah thats what ive been really thinking....but then id loose the nice lope of the cams!

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
<--- fidanza and RPS clutch. 850 RPM took my rattle out. Sounded like a diesel at 700 RPM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts