Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an answer, quick.

I have to replace my clutch in the next week or so and I need to know if I could resurface the used flywheel or if I MUST purchase a new flywheel.

If the flywheel can be resurfaced what is the max depth that can be removed?

Any info will be great

·
Registered
407 Posts
As far as I know, it is not a good idea to resurface the old flywheel. Also, since the factory flywheel is a dual-mass design, it has a rubber damper seperating the two flywheel pieces. If you have any appreciable mileage, or hard running on the car it is probably wise to replace it to in case the rubber is getting worn. When I put my clutch in, I just bought a new one. It is a bit to spend, but if you don't want to have to do it all over again....................

BTW I kept my old flywheel just in case I can get it reliably resurfaced at a later date.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be resurfaced. Just make sure they remove the bare minimum (something like 2-5 thousandths is acceptable) to make it true and flat. Also, since it's dual mass, they need to clamp the sections together, and turn them as one assembly. Last, dont "wet" turn it, or shavings will enter the internal spring areas. Dry turn it, and tell them to plug up the openings with duck tape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts