Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys recommend sticking with the stock fly wheel....or will it be better if I could get like a JUN flywheel.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a mod I am also interested in! I have heard that fitting a lightened flywheel means you need more revs to get a good launch. Is this true?

Does the lighter flywheel decrease everyday drivability? Would you recommend it as a mod for street cars?

Cmon guys, someone must have fitted a lightweigt flywheel to their NA? :cool:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm quite interested in this mod too. Mainly because I bought the damn thing back in december and still haven't put it in yet! Heh. I don't have the JUN. Mine's the Mueller one from MVP. Lord knows when I'll finally get it installed (it's sitting in a friend's garage 750 miles from me). When I do, though, I'll be sure to post my impressions.

FYI, I got a new stock clutch and pressure plate to go along with it. I'm not really making enough power to warrant a high performance clutch and I'm a little cautious about the potential chatter. All the misc. crap you have to buy(throwout bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel bolts if you get new ones) are almost all specific to the n/a. The guy I talked to at MVP said that the throwout bearing should be universal, though.

When combined with an aftermarket intake as well as the egr/coolant bypass, I'm thinking it should make the car quite a bit swifter. Gotta squeeze every little bit 'a juice out of these engines :D

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ozsupraNA said:
I have heard that fitting a lightened flywheel means you need more revs to get a good launch. Is this true?

Does the lighter flywheel decrease everyday drivability? Would you recommend it as a mod for street cars?
I've driven a friends Integra that has a lightweight flywheel. The need for higher rpms isn't really a cause for concern. You adjust to it rather quickly. It doesn't interfere with daily drivability from what I can see. It's not a nuiscence or something you have to consciously think about. Just imagine your car suddenly wanting a few hundred more rpms than it used to.

·
6 speed pimp
68 Posts
I just put the RPS stage 3 clutch with an alluminum flywheel into my car and its great. Takes a little getting used to but after break in period its great. It revs up faster and shifts very smoothly. The flywheel does make chatter noise at idle though, especially if you have the A/C on.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine balancing?

xessped:
did you need to get your engine balanced? I heard lightening the flywheel puts the balance outa whack? how long have you had the lighter flywheel for? is there a noticable acceleration or power gain? i assume there would be, ie rev quicker = go through gears quicker = greater acceleration? thanks for your help, its appreciated :)

·
6 speed pimp
68 Posts
ozsupraNA:
i don't know to much about if the engine had to be balanced or not, i left everything to my mechanic who i've been going to forever so i trust he did what was needed. I've had the new setup in since last november and since then put about 1500 miles on the car. As for the acceleration, it is definitely quicker than stock and it feels like my car has much more torque.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts