Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. Heard that running an FMIC on Stock Twins causes poorer performance. Looking for opinions
 

·
Mamba Still On Top
Joined
·
3,462 Posts
No, that is wrong. Better power numbers will be had. The only disadvantage of the FMIC is cooling problems when road racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
some huge 4" is unesessary, a 3row will suffice. the bigger one WILL create more lag, how much? probably nominal to none measurable, but none the less in formulation, yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
I've heard the stock IC is more efficient for short sprints, whereas the aftermarket FMIC's are more desireable for long runs. Maybe this falls under the lag category.... #'s = more lag, in this situation I guess...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
MDSuPeRStAr said:
No, that is wrong. Better power numbers will be had. The only disadvantage of the FMIC is cooling problems when road racing.
Unlikely that you will actually make more power on the dyno, but you will certainly run more efficiently after hard runs. You would only make more power if the stock unit has a higher pressure drop than the aftermarket FMIC. Or if the stock unit immediately heat soaked on the dyno, which is not likely with a large fan sitting in front of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
crossways said:
Or if the stock unit immediately heat soaked on the dyno, which is not likely with a large fan sitting in front of it.
You will heat soak on the dyno even ... my car was proof.
After some tuning did a dyno run car made 379 whp @ 17psi on Bpu+ (stock I/C)
Let the car cool for 20 minutes did another run car made 415 whp @ 17 psi.
Immediately after that did another run car made 390 whp. (major heat soak)

In basic terms a fmic will help only on hot days and long runs on stock twins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
mine helped out a ton
 

·
SF's Cleanest
Joined
·
7,179 Posts
I've never heard of a FMIC not helping a turbo car...I think you'll be fine. :)
 

·
2jz powered
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
Drivenfaster said:
some huge 4" is unesessary, a 3row will suffice. the bigger one WILL create more lag, how much? probably nominal to none measurable, but none the less in formulation, yes.
last time i checked the 3row greddy is about 4" thick isn't it? :dunno:
 

·
Will work for Supra parts
Joined
·
624 Posts
Couldn't be further from the truth. A larger front mount intercooler will always yeild more performance gains. Bigger frontal area means it will cooler better and not get as heat soaked. Naturally a bigger intercooler will also have less of a pressure drop across the core too. With the front mount intercoolers, the tube size (and core) is larger, giving more efficent cooling and more flow. Maybe it will ad a little lag, but it will not even be noticed. A good intercooler will lower the air charge exiting to within 10 degrees of outside ambient temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
I have a HKS GT R type FMIC on my car (the big one) and also have an AEM EMS so I can datalog stuff. My Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor is mounted right after the IC and right on the IC pipe down low at the bottom of the IC pipe that goes up to the TB. It does a hell of a job there measeuring the air temp after it's heated by the turbo and then cooled by my the IC right before it goes into the TB to be heated again before it go to the combustion chambers.

What I can tell you is that yes they is a pressure drop accrosed the IC when running a larger IC than stock. And yes, if it is too thick it will interfere with the engine's overall cooling capasicity in Stock form. But it also tells me that when the Pea Shooters under high boost heat and beat the up the air to 220F at 21 psi the IC will cool it back down to ambeint temps before it goes to the intake mani. The OEM cooler can't keep up and get's heat soaked. And with aftermarket turbos the IC works even better since a larger turbo produces less heat since it spins slower to produce the same PSI.

Even at 29 PSI with an SP63 after 15 dyno pulls in a row making over 625 rwhp the big old HKS type R only alows the intake temps to climb about 4 degree C from ambeint to final, which is next to nothing considering what The OEM cooler would allow though at only 18 pis under those conditions.

So yes, you have imperical evedence that even running pea shootrs with a bigger FMIC will cool the air charge much better that the standard OEM cooler would. The data allso tells me it will block flow to the Radiator which needs to be up graded anyway to help cool things off and an extra oil cooler need to be added to keep things cool by higher HP levels.

Bottom line is even if you are not at aup levels yet, at BPU you will benifit from a FMIC.
 

·
gt35/40?
Joined
·
446 Posts
ya i noticed even when sitting for a little while with the stock smic it would get heatsoaked pretty bad, i needs to have good flow over it to keep air charge down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
What kinda power increase can be expected by replacing the stock SMIC with a FMIC on the stock turbos? I am trying to see if it's worth the money for the power increase of an FMIC when factoring in the issues of lag (even more so for autos, and I'm an auto) and airflow blockage to the radiator for the increase in power. How much hp increase to be expected?
 

·
Will work for Supra parts
Joined
·
624 Posts
Depends on the boost level you decide to run. A big front mount intercooler by itself, at stock boost levels, might only gain you 5 to 15 hp, but as soon as you turn the boost up over stock, you'll gain power exponentially. Turning the boost up alone will increase your power too, but the intercooler is key to keeping the air charge nice and cool. It will allow you to run more boost without worry of detenation. That's were the big gains will be had. Figure about 10 hp more for every one pound of boost you go up. So you could pick up a possible 30 hp at 15 psi and you should be gaining almost 60 hp at 18 psi.

Of course you'll gain even at stock boost levels because of the reduced pressure drop, because of the greater flow, and cooling efficiency. Extra lag will be negligible. Turbo cars like two things. Bigger intercoolers, free flowing exhausts, and a small bump in the boost level. This is where it all begins.
 

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
Joined
·
4,188 Posts
some has been lying to u man.....fmic is a must if u are running more than stock boost and a lot of highway pulls...makes a lot of difference in the cars performance....u could heat soak the stock unit easily if it a summer day.....one highway pull and thats it....get that fmic man!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I have my stock twins in TTC and recently got the 4row. lag is TERRIBLE. I dont see full boost till about 4200. I would not recomend it. Unless you plan on getting a single asap, like myself. Then Im sure you could suffer through it :) ... Of if you had the twins in sequential I'm sure the lag difference wouldnt be as bad.
 

·
Will work for Supra parts
Joined
·
624 Posts
The lag is only because you're running the turbos in true sequential mode!! I have a Greedy front mount and spool up is awesome in sequential mode. I'm great turbo spool at 3K rpm and up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Espeefan said:
Depends on the boost level you decide to run. A big front mount intercooler by itself, at stock boost levels, might only gain you 5 to 15 hp, but as soon as you turn the boost up over stock, you'll gain power exponentially. Turning the boost up alone will increase your power too, but the intercooler is key to keeping the air charge nice and cool. It will allow you to run more boost without worry of detenation. That's were the big gains will be had. Figure about 10 hp more for every one pound of boost you go up. So you could pick up a possible 30 hp at 15 psi and you should be gaining almost 60 hp at 18 psi.

Of course you'll gain even at stock boost levels because of the reduced pressure drop, because of the greater flow, and cooling efficiency. Extra lag will be negligible. Turbo cars like two things. Bigger intercoolers, free flowing exhausts, and a small bump in the boost level. This is where it all begins.
If we're talking about 13psi boost with a FMIC, what kinda power to be expected? Any issues of radiator cooling efficiency or material lag increase using an AUTO?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top