Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey U all!!!

A have been searting and still havent found any tead i can use!!!

So here it goes: Im wondering if my apex-i gt fmic can support the kit im running with, or if I have to find somthing BIGGER!!!

My turbo is the hks t51r kai, ( just upgraded this summer from an t66/rps kit) and Im often driving 2bar pressure ( like in daily basis )

I really would apresiate any help :dj:

Runi...

·
Supporting Vendor
4,400 Posts
Runi,

that intercooler as far as i know is a big m-f'er...it should be able to support the kai (compressor is about the same size as a greddy t88 and the turbine is a little smaller). your apex should be able to handle that fine.

if you want to go bigger...i believe the only one bigger is the greddy 4 row. the blitz is close, but its only 10.5 inches tall, while most for the supra are 12 (305mm)

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Apex'I Skyline core is the biggest intercooler Apex'i makes. That core would definitly support the kit you are using.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Well I might have worded that incorrectly. The skyline core IS the core used in their GT intercoolers. They might have changed designs and names, but when you search for Apex'i skyline intercoolers, they come up as GT's. So I would guess the skyline core is what is used in the GT kits.

Either way, I've seen these intercoolers used on single turbo Supras, whether they were as big as the T51, i'm not sure. :)

·
supraman
632 Posts
Krister said:
TheDane: Any pics of your car? Even vids? :)

Krister
Pics of your car with turbo upgrade?:D

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
supraman
632 Posts
Runi,

Cool pics!:) I have the Blitz V-spec which is the second largest after the Greddy 4 row about 12" x 4" x 24.25" which is larger than the HKS type R which is 12" x 3"x 24". Not sure how big the Apex hybrid intercoolers are? If you say the Apex looks smaller than the type- R then it would probably not be sufficient for your big HKS monster turbo. :)

How do you feel driving with the T51r kai on the road response wise (streetable?)compared to the T66? Are you finding it too laggy?:

·
Registered
20 Posts
the apex fmic is smallest of intercoolers...... id opt for something like a 3row for ur kai... much more effiecient and looks alot better

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randy: Its an awsome turbo :devil:
Its sound is so loud, u can belive it ( whisling like a mouse wich kohonas just got stomped on by an elefant )
Its actually only pulls 400 rpm`s later than the T66 i ran with ealier on my car! AND WHAT A PULL...
I actually was thinking of buying the T88H because a freind had it, but after a good chat with Dusty (MVP) he convinced me that this turbokit was the right for me ( something wich was spooling at low 4000 rpm`s, could produce 700rwhp, and sounded great, even that my ealier RPS manifold sounded WICKED), and trust me... It was the best buy since my sUpra :rockon:

Got some more pics: :)

old kit: T66
http://www.klub-striben.dk/billeder/dhb2003/dhb2003-077.JPG

me and sUp.
http://www.klub-striben.dk/billeder/racex-2003/racex-2003-pic154.jpg

Mvh.
Runi :dj:

·
Old School Socal Member
365 Posts
The Apexi is a great intercooler. The T51 is a decent sized turbo. The Apexi will work, something bigger will also work. Anything bigger than a 3 row is a waste of money.

W

·
0 Posts
Going with a 4-row is a good choice for your setup due to sheer volume of air it will flow, and the piping doesnt go through the fender anymore (about 1 foot or more of piping is deleted) and that is a huge difference when you're at a big power level. As far as i know, the 4-row is the only IC that has the piping that way from the company.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
TheDane said:
Randy: Its an awsome turbo :devil:
Its sound is so loud, u can belive it ( whisling like a mouse wich kohonas just got stomped on by an elefant )
Its actually only pulls 400 rpm`s later than the T66 i ran with ealier on my car! AND WHAT A PULL...
I actually was thinking of buying the T88H because a freind had it, but after a good chat with Dusty (MVP) he convinced me that this turbokit was the right for me ( something wich was spooling at low 4000 rpm`s, could produce 700rwhp, and sounded great, even that my ealier RPS manifold sounded WICKED), and trust me... It was the best buy since my sUpra :rockon:

Got some more pics: :)

old kit: T66
http://www.klub-striben.dk/billeder/dhb2003/dhb2003-077.JPG

me and sUp.
http://www.klub-striben.dk/billeder/racex-2003/racex-2003-pic154.jpg

Mvh.
nice pics dude, im glad the car looks great and that dusty hooked you up.

Brett

·
supraman
632 Posts
Runi,

You seem to keep your car in top shape mate!:D If you don't want to upgrade your intercooler best buy -- Dereks Methanol injection kit, should be more that sufficient to cool intake temps. What fuel do you get there? 98RON 100RON?

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
At highway speeds on the first few pulls, the Apexi will work just fine. The more you pull, the faster it'll heat, mostly because of the smaller surface area to cool. But there should be nothing to worry about as far as a restriction, because other things would come into play before your intercooler would. Cams, head, and intake manifold to name a few. But if you want to go big, for looks, and for optimum efficiency, go with the Greddy 4 row and never have to worry about it again. I have the 4 row, and it's EXTREMELY efficient, even on the dyno.

I noticed that your intercooler hangs low on the drivers side. Mine did the same thing when I had my Apexi. I think that they all do that because everyone of them that I've seen hang lower on one side.

Eric

4 digit HP

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys...

Thanx alot for the replys!!! Really apresiate it...

Im starting to get a clue now on my FMIC, and have desided to keep it for now ( more money for other fine tuning stuf, im ordering this winter :D )
Most of my extreme pullz are when I´m getting passed by a "Black horsey" or a "Porcha" and my EVC gets the B program (2,1bar) aktivated :devil:
and that is only about 2-4 times a week...

Here in Denmark we are all driving 98 oktan ( pumpgas)!!!
Nad i atually boost 2 bar with that gas :rolleyes: ( only killed one engine so far ) :bigok:
But being coockey has its costs hehe...

Mvh.
Runi

·
supraman
632 Posts
Runi,

Hope you check your EGT's at 2bar 29psi? Also using the FJO wideband would be a good idea if you upgrading so you can tune yourself.:) and not run lean at that high boost.......:eek: :D

Have you raced a ferrari 360/575 M or a Porsche turbo {new-996}:D

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Randy:
Already got the FJO :D

And Yes I have almost race the whole carpark!!! SL 55 AMG, SL brabus, 996 turbo, F 360, F 355, m5, m3 turbo, To4r rx7, cosworth, skyline R33, and on and on...
Its only the 4x4 cars who take me on the first 100 - 150 meters, because off weelies :devil:

So yes bin there!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts