Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tring To Pick From The Greddy 3 Row, Hks Type R, And The Arc Fmic. Love Some Words Of Wisdom.
Thanks

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
Greddy 4 row. Only a few hundred more and WELL worth it!!

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Bigger is always better! You can never have to much intercooler. I'd go with a Greedy 4 row as well. I have the three row right now and it's been a great intercooler, but if I ever go single turbo, I'll get a 4 row. More surface area and better flow.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
Tring To Pick From The Greddy 3 Row, Hks Type R, And The Arc Fmic. Love Some Words Of Wisdom.
Thanks
In order to answer that question, it's important to know what your intended use is. Are you road racing, dragging, daily driving?

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
This has a lot to do with your specific setup. If you are BPU and do a lot of normal driving then the 4-row is a waste of money in my opinion. A S-Type will be sufficient. However, if you’re running a big single and looking for maximum efficiently then a 4-Row or a Type-R needs to be considered. Think about this being an air restrictor as well. The difference between an S & R-type with regard to overall cooling to your radiator with effect things as well. Bigger is not always better. :nono:

Many folks with big singles only running 3-Rows.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions! :)

Bigger is always better! You can never have to much intercooler. I'd go with a Greedy 4 row as well. I have the three row right now and it's been a great intercooler, but if I ever go single turbo, I'll get a 4 row. More surface area and better flow.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Absolutely Wrong! If that were the case then we would put an intercooler the size of a refrigerator in front and always expect further gains.

In actuality, you want the smallest possible volume (with surface area being the key component) that will still efficiently cool the maximum sized CFM flow intended to move through it. Read Corky Bell's Maximum Boost or any physics textbook for confirmation.

For example, if you are using an intercooler with twice the volume of one which confers the same maximum cooling ability, then you are in fact decreasing efficiency.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Absolutely Wrong! If that were the case then we would put an intercooler the size of a refrigerator in front and always expect further gains.

In actuality, you want the smallest possible volume (with surface area being the key component) that will still efficiently cool the maximum sized CFM flow intended to move through it. Read Corky Bell's Maximum Boost or any physics textbook for confirmation.

For example, if you are using an intercooler with twice the volume of one which confers the same maximum cooling ability, then you are in fact decreasing efficiency.
+10.

What intercooler is best is like asking what turbo is best? Too many variables to answer that question.
Unless you are goin with a bigger turbo get a 3 row, easier to pipe, cheaper, lighter.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Consider that a 3 row vs a 4 row, the 4 row has a higher pressure loss because of the larger IC...So if your turbo is making 30psi at the outlet on a 3 row at 5000rpm but really only making 28psi at the throttle body, technically a 4 row should spool slower and the turbo have to make 32psi at the outlet at 5200 rpmto get 28psi to the throttle body....

On the other hand who cares??? It is such a small difference that the larger IC will keep the air temps so much lower that it is worth it to go BIGGER and take the extra millisecond of lag. I believe the pressure loss is less then what I mentioned above anyhow.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Ebay FMIC FTW!

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Consider that a 3 row vs a 4 row, the 4 row has a higher pressure loss because of the larger IC...So if your turbo is making 30psi at the outlet on a 3 row at 5000rpm but really only making 28psi at the throttle body, technically a 4 row should spool slower and the turbo have to make 32psi at the outlet at 5200 rpmto get 28psi to the throttle body....

On the other hand who cares??? It is such a small difference that the larger IC will keep the air temps so much lower that it is worth it to go BIGGER and take the extra millisecond of lag. I believe the pressure loss is less then what I mentioned above anyhow.
To me it sounds like you have some right ideas but are mixing up unrelated facts. I wonder if anybody actually measured it, but I don't believe that a 4 row has higher pressure loss than a 3 row since the compressed air flow area thru the 4 row is larger, so for the same airflow the 4 row has less pressure loss than a 3 row; it's not like a longer pipe of the same size has more pressure loss than a shorter pipe, the airflow we're talking about here is parallel flow thru more or less tubes or spaces between plates; the more parallel tubes or spaces for air to flow the less pressure loss.

As was suggested in some other posts above, it takes more air to fill a 4 row so there might be some effect on throttle response. Also, for demanding engine cooling applicatoins like road racing, a larger and thicker intercooler needs more attention to details to make sure enough airflow gets to the radiator.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
well.... when you're thinking FMIC, you need to think of how big your turbo is and the boost you will make. If you think of the piping and FMIC as a volume, then you don't want to try to pressurize extra volume if it's not necessary. This simply adds lag time and isn't getting you anywhere. If your FMIC at 3" is adequate for cooling the charge air, upping it to 4" buys you NO Performance and simply creates a source of lag. Piping and FMIC are all volume your turbo needs to fill. For stock twins you will be wasitng money and creating lag.

The pressure loss thru the 4 row will be less than the 3 row, BUT it is probably insignificant for smaller turbos.

The thread starter did not mention (or I missed it) the size of the turbo and HP he is running.

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
I have a S-Type on my car presently supporting a small single and I have no doubt that there will be difference between it and the 4-Row. The benefit is the smaller IC has a reduced amount of both lag and under hood cooling associated with it’s reduced size. You plug in a big wapping 4-Row or Type R and your going to see both lag and your water temps will increase. This has been discussed so many times it isn’t funny.

The search engine here on the forums needs to be reactivated or these types of discussions are going to be a daily occurrence.

·
Registered
14 Posts
if youre looking at the Greddy 3-row, then you might as well go with the 4-row just incase you decide to upgrade to a larger turbo down the road, then you wont have to be changing intercoolers also, and its only a couple of hundred dollars more so it would be worth the extra cost..

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Okay, perhaps I should elaborate on my 'bigger is better' reply, as it was rather generalized. I'm not a turbocharger expert, but what has been said, in response to my reply, makes sense and I will not agrue that. Obviously, the size of the intercooler you can run, in any automotive application, is going to be limited from a packaging stand point, so of course you aren't going to stick one on that is the size of a refrigerator.

Instead, what I'm trying to say is that I doubt it is possible to go so large that you will really see an efficiency drop, due to the packaging constraints in our automotive applications. Yes, an intercooler can be sized to large, but I bet you will run out of physical space to fit it, before you see the negitives of having one. Besides the radiator blocked more and more, and maybe a little extra lag. Maybe I'm wrong......

Suppose I should have said 'run the largest you can fit'. A 4 row will have less pressure drop then a 3 row. A 4 row, if physically larger, should also be less prone to heat soak.

Crossways, one of these days I will pick up Corky Bell's book. It's not the first time I've heard people refer to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Thanks
I would pick the Greddy 3-row out of those three choices. The HKS Type-R is actually alittle smaller than the Greddy 3-row, doesn't include the coolant bottle, and its more expensive. I have no experience with the ARC, so i cannot speak about that intercooler setup but i'm sure its a quality product judging from what i've seen from them. The Greddy 3-row includes everything you need for installation and has pretty good instructions on how to install it for the DIY'ers. The HKS Type-R requires another $200 worth of extra stuff you need to install it on a stock twin car. Some of you guys are getting a little beyond what the poster is asking....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Greddy 3 Row is perfect for stock twins. However is you are planning to go single, you may want to consider the 4 row.

·
Banned
455 Posts
Greddy 3 Row is perfect for stock twins. However is you are planning to go single, you may want to consider the 4 row.
Many people have made great power on greddy 3 Row with big singles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts