41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
JZA80 > JZA70
1,827 Posts
pm me for details

·
Registered
116 Posts
this mod is super easy to complete. I was able to do this during my lunch break. none of my other lights have been effected. My fogs now turn on whenever I want to. Love it.

thanks Ishii for this write up

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
Doing this mod today! Thanks for the writeup from 2004!

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I ran into an issue with my passenger side fog light. After completing this mod, everything worked fine for about a month. now my passenger side fog light does not turn on. the bulbs are both fine. the Driver side will turn on but not the passenger side. I have checked all of the fuses and relays. all work fine. let me know if you have any advice.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
With the key on and fog light switch on did you run a multimeter on the terminals to see what voltage was? Does it work intermittently at all?

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the key on and fog light switch on did you run a multimeter on the terminals to see what voltage was? Does it work intermittently at all?
I have not tried the multimeter yet. whats weird is that my driver side fog light turns on without any issues. both daytime lights work fine. the only thing that does not turn on is the passenger fog light. do you have any images on which terminals to test out?
any help/advice will be highly appreciated.

thanks

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
I have not tried the multimeter yet. whats weird is that my driver side fog light turns on without any issues. both daytime lights work fine. the only thing that does not turn on is the passenger fog light. do you have any images on which terminals to test out?
any help/advice will be highly appreciated.

thanks
First off, are you running oem bulbs or an aftermarket HID kit?

If OEM, put your multimeter to 20V DC, put negative test lead on black wire ground terminal and other to the red wire terminal on fog light 3 wire male connector coming off the cars harness. (the one that connects your fog lights and city lights if you have a 93-96 style headlight housing)

Disconnect this connector on the fog light cap pictured below:

You are going to test the end that plugs into that connector that has the 3 wires, red/black/green^^^

Either leave the fog light power on, or get someone in the car to turn it on while you hold the test leads.

What is the voltage? if none then that circuit has a short/cut wire/terminal is loose in connector ect.

If aftermarket HIDs are being used, check connectors for any melted housings/sheathing/ect.. If all looks good swap your ballasts/ignitors from working headlight to non working one. If that fixes it its your ballast, if that doesn't fix it something is melted/grounded/compromised. More often than not these things are easily fixed, its rarely some wire broken or melted in a location you cannot see. I am not an expert by any means and I hope this makes sense to you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
First off, are you running oem bulbs or an aftermarket HID kit?

If OEM, put your multimeter to 20V DC, put negative test lead on black wire ground terminal and other to the red wire terminal on fog light 3 wire male connector coming off the cars harness. (the one that connects your fog lights and city lights if you have a 93-96 style headlight housing)

Disconnect this connector on the fog light cap pictured below:

You are going to test the end that plugs into that connector that has the 3 wires, red/black/green^^^

Either leave the fog light power on, or get someone in the car to turn it on while you hold the test leads.

What is the voltage? if none then that circuit has a short/cut wire/terminal is loose in connector ect.

If aftermarket HIDs are being used, check connectors for any melted housings/sheathing/ect.. If all looks good swap your ballasts/ignitors from working headlight to non working one. If that fixes it its your ballast, if that doesn't fix it something is melted/grounded/compromised. More often than not these things are easily fixed, its rarely some wire broken or melted in a location you cannot see. I am not an expert by any means and I hope this makes sense to you.

Good luck.
awesome. this will definitely help me a lot. Im currently running yellow halogen bulbs for now until my yellow LED bulbs come in. that image helps a lot with seeing if im getting power to that terminal. I will try this on my lunch break (if it doesn't rain)
I will keep you posted.

thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi FastTurbo,

i did what you mentioned in the post below in regards to checking voltage on the fog light harness. after checking both harnesses. the driver side harness (working) showed voltage of 12.75 and the passenger side (not working) showed a voltage of 11.63 but the light does not turn on when i turn the foglight switch on. i changed the bulbs and nothing. all the fuses are still good. what else can you recommend?
can you email me for quicker replies at ([email protected])

I did want to mention that every time that i turn my keys to on before i crank the car, i hear 2 clicks near the passenger side headlight but can't point out exactly where that is coming from.

thanks

41 - 49 of 49 Posts