Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 88Turbo 5spd, and I don't like to be a whiner, but I can't help it this time. I got home from work today and decided to replace my knock sensor that I just recieved. So, I get the alternator off and I find out that I dont have the right size socket to remove it from the block. So I try to wrench it out, but my hands are too fat :faint:

So I give my buddy a call, and being the good friend he is, he came over and helped me get it out. I bolt everything back on after I connect the new sensor, reconnect the battery and start the car to take it for a spin to see if I still have my code. Everything is working great! I have alot more power now, so I decide to use it... I gave it about 3/4 throttle and ran it up to about 4500 and I started to see smoke comming from underneath my car, my first thought was that it was oil being burned. So I back off the throttle and decide to take it slow the rest of the way back to my house. But it starts to overheat, not very much... just a little, and I think to myself... (Water-pump?) Naaa, couldn't be, I just replaced that two months ago!

Well, I made it back to my garage without over-heating it, and by this time I can smell coolant. So I pop the hood, and sure enough my waterpump is spraying coolant everywhere. I determined that the smoke was coolant being burned by being sprayed on the outside of my engine. How can I go through two water-pumps in less than 4 months? Do I have a bad clutch-fan? Or is it something more serious? Any thoughts?

(Eric has been :urowned: by his car once again...)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I drove my supra once and the radiator hose popped off. It was a great steam show!

·
0 Posts
I assume in 'two pumps in four months', you mean the orig took a dump (was 18 yrs old) and the NEW one then died 4 mos later or do you mean you've had 2 NEW water pumps fail in 4 mos?
If you've had one new pump fail in four mos, that may just have been a bad pump. Unusual but not impossible. May have been, don't know.
If you've had 2 new pumps die in 4 mos, that's another issue. The fan isn't missing part of a blade or two? It's not out of balance is it? The clutch portion I believe is temp controlled, it provides more resistance when hot. If it spins w/some resistance by hand when cold, it's probably working correctly but even if not and never 'locked up' the fan when hot, that wouldn't kill the pump as it wouldn't be putting even it's designed load on it. Are the belts being evertightened? That will kill pumps, but jeeze, I can't imagine, am not sure how overly tight they'd have to be to kill the pump's bearings. There's nothing else I know of that could kill a pump? Corrosion eats the seals and bearings die over time, but not in 4 mos?..
I'm hoping this is only 1 dead NEW pump in four mos and just a manufaccturing fluke.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Havent had it happen on my Supra but back when I had my old 88 POS Taurus I went through two Autozone water pumps within a year. After the 2nd one I was just pissed so I went to Advanced Auto and never had another problem. My best guess would be bad water pump. It happens trust me.

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
91 Dream: Yea, I've gone through two new pumps in less than 4 months, both from Car Quest (I assume they were remanufactured, not sure). My clutch fan has no mising blades, but it does spin with a slight wobble, I tried taking it off and straightening it out numerous times, but it always seems to be the same. The fan, when removed spins with some resistance, I was just wondering if this could be my problem because it seems to me that the fan puts alot of load on the pump. I'm actually about to just throw the thing away, and find out how to install some electric fans...

mk3supraholic: Yes, my code was obveously cleared because I had to remove the battery to remove the alternator to get at my sensor without any chances of shorting anything out by mistake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts