Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Speed Addicted
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to decide what to do with my stock auto setup. Was planning on going with the Boost Logic Built Auto setup, but have heard some people say that the power I will be making might not work well with the BL.

So, what I'm asking is this - For those of you who have had a BL Auto:

What power were you making?
Did the transmission hold up?
Any issues at all with it?
Would you recommend this transmission for me? (see setup in siggy)

I'm building the car to about 800 HP +/-. It's not there yet, but don't want to have to change the transmission out, so if you think the BL will not be reliable, please let me know.

Before suggesting something other than the BL, please remember I want to be track friendly, but still keep top end, and driveability. I drive it everyday. Considering the TH400 w/ Gear Vendor Setup instead, but BL is obviously cheaper, so would rather go that route if it will work for me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
you have been PM'd

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Adam had 3 brand new BL trannies in his. 2 of which broke from piss poor reconditioning. The third he sold for a th400 setup. Later found out the pump went out of the third one for the new owner under 1k miles. Each tranny had less then 500 miles on it.

his setup at the time was a SP budget kit with a 61, then a DBB 71. So it wasn't like he was making outragious power.

If I was going toyota auto, BL wouldn't even be an option for me. 3 trannies at that power level? Not to good. I would go SP stage 3 or whatever. For your goal, 4l80e, or th400... Luckily there is a easy answer if you can answer this one question... do you want to run race gas 100% of the time? If the answer is no, a SP stage 3 should do the job. If the answer is yes (hinting at big boy turbos 1000hp plus), then go GM stuff.

Hope that made sense.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Hey Emily, we spoke before about this on pm's.. how much is the th400 w/ gear vendors od? I know my sp 4l80 is pretty expensive, but I'll never worry about breaking my tranny again. Sky's the limit now for engine mods. I'm also running a similar setup, 71gts dbb, 264's, 960cc injectors, titan intake mani. I wouldn't try running this on anyone's built auto though. Maybe if I was only looking for a season or two, then I'd chance it, but I don't want to keep dropping tranny's. Besides, that's good turbo upgrade money.

·
Speed Addicted
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Emily, we spoke before about this on pm's.. how much is the th400 w/ gear vendors od? <snip>
Well, I haven't gotten a solid price yet, as I can't decide what options I want, but I'm looking at somewhere between 7-10K for the setup.

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
SP400. Save yourself the headaches and money of trying to make a built toyota trans last under that much power. I went through several before I wised up. Not to mention I'm only running a 67mm turbo.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
SP400. Save yourself the headaches and money of trying to make a built toyota trans last under that much power. I went through several before I wised up. Not to mention I'm only running a 67mm turbo.

I'm going to have to agree (change of heart). Get the th400 with electic shifting. Then if you need the Gear Vendors unit, you can always add it later. That way your not dishing out so much out front.

·
Registered
231 Posts
noob question... whats the "Gear Vendors" unit? and doesnt the Th400 shift too hard for daily driving? just what i've read... trying to get some real answers for myself too :D

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
I had a SP stage 3 break on my supra with stock twin turbos that dyno'ed only 376 hp and less torque on race gas, the very first time at the drag strip within 4 runs. The car had less than 50 miles on it with the new stage 3 transmission. Turned out to be the 2nd gear sprag which on this stage 3 is......just the stock toyota sprag clutch. Don't fool yourself that any of these built trannies can stand up. Like Larry says, it's russian roulette. Right now I have a BL auto on a single with a couple hundred HP more that is seeming to work fine. Do I expect it to break? Probably, but for now it is holding up fine.

Adam had 3 brand new BL trannies in his. 2 of which broke from piss poor reconditioning. The third he sold for a th400 setup. Later found out the pump went out of the third one for the new owner under 1k miles. Each tranny had less then 500 miles on it.

his setup at the time was a SP budget kit with a 61, then a DBB 71. So it wasn't like he was making outragious power.

If I was going toyota auto, BL wouldn't even be an option for me. 3 trannies at that power level? Not to good. I would go SP stage 3 or whatever. For your goal, 4l80e, or th400... Luckily there is a easy answer if you can answer this one question... do you want to run race gas 100% of the time? If the answer is no, a SP stage 3 should do the job. If the answer is yes (hinting at big boy turbos 1000hp plus), then go GM stuff.

Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm building the car to about 800 HP +/-.

Before suggesting something other than the BL, please remember I want to be track friendly, but still keep top end, and driveability. I drive it everyday. Considering the TH400 w/ Gear Vendor Setup instead, but BL is obviously cheaper, so would rather go that route if it will work for me.
800+ RWHP? That is out of bounds of not only the BL transmission, but the 71mm turbo you're going with. You want to drive this setup as your daily driver? 800+ rwhp in an auto and especially through a TH400 are the last things I would want to drive everyday. You might want to have a re-look at your goals or buy a daily driver to sit beside the Supra drag car you're building.

For reference, I have the BL tranny with just stock twins. The tranny works perfect with my setup at the track and I know it will continue to work with the 67DBB I'm planning to go with. Keep in mind I felt the need to buy a 2nd vehicle to daily drive a month after going with the new tranny. I've considered a TH400, but then I'd have to consider buy a trailer too.

JH

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
I put about 2500-3000 miles on mine=give or take a few and absolutely loved it. I was only making 585whp though. After 5 passes I was able to run a [email protected] on drag radials.

I do think 800whp is too much for them. You may want to relook at your goals, or you may want to look at the 4L80E kit. You'll also need a bigger turbo, maybe a 76s if you plan on making that kind of whp with an automatic and a high stall.

Honestly, WHP numbers mean absolutely nothing with an auto car. The real thing that matters is area under the curve once you hit the converter, hence the reason I was able to practically hit 9s on the 5th pass with only 585whp. I got kicked out after that pass and now have a 6-speed in the car, which I enjoy even more.

Steve K.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
she has a daily driver but even if she chooses to drive her supra everyday, she has a 2mile commute so it probably wont be too bad... i dont think she plans to drive the car at the 800rwhp level everyday.. i agree the 71mm wont make 800whp but she thinks otherwise.. :angel:

i wouldnt recommend the BL auto at the level she is shooting for though

800+ RWHP? That is out of bounds of not only the BL transmission, but the 71mm turbo you're going with. You want to drive this setup as your daily driver? 800+ rwhp in an auto and especially through a TH400 are the last things I would want to drive everyday. You might want to have a re-look at your goals or buy a daily driver to sit beside the Supra drag car you're building.

For reference, I have the BL tranny with just stock twins. The tranny works perfect with my setup at the track and I know it will continue to work with the 67DBB I'm planning to go with. Keep in mind I felt the need to buy a 2nd vehicle to daily drive a month after going with the new tranny. I've considered a TH400, but then I'd have to consider buy a trailer too.

JH

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
2 miles back and forth? The oil won't even get warmed up.

Steve K.

·
Speed Addicted
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Emily, we spoke before about this on pm's.. how much is the th400 w/ gear vendors od?
Depending on what stage you go with, and what options, and what torque converter, to get it with the gear vendor set up, I'm looking at between 7-10K.

·
Speed Addicted
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
noob question... whats the "Gear Vendors" unit? and doesnt the Th400 shift too hard for daily driving? just what i've read... trying to get some real answers for myself too :D

From my understanding, and this may be a pretty generic answer, but the Gear Vendor Set up is supposed to be a gear splitter, to where you have:

1st
1st overdrive
2nd
2nd overdrive
3rd
3rd overdrive

That is my understanding of it. Basically, so you can have a 3 speed auto at the track, but still have top end / fuel efficiency for driving off the track.

As for it shifting too hard for daily driving, I'd LOVE to have this question answered. I would like to know this before I dump all the money into it.

·
Speed Addicted
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Speed Addicted
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
800+ RWHP? That is out of bounds of not only the BL transmission, but the 71mm turbo you're going with. <snip>

JH
I'm aware that I'm pushing it to get 800 HP out of that turbo. I'll be happy with 800 just once on the dyno, and then turning down boost, etc for maybe 700 or so until I decide to upgrade the turbo. I am not planning on getting a steady 800 out of it. It's out of the efficiency range of the turbo from what I hear.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts