Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4" straight pipe custom exhaust with a Aeromotive XL muffler on the end. Now for me it sounds good, but once WOT hits its a screaming beast, and the other people that live around me hate it cause of the noise(even with me driving slow by houses) Im wanting to quiet it down a tad so Im just wondering.........

1) Can you use a 4" desiel cat? If not what are you all running to make your supra quieter?
2) I run a 72mm turbo and dont want to ruin the boost or fan spool so will this affect it, and if SO how much will it?

Thanks in advance

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
im running the 4in BL exhaust, not a single cat on my car.......... i LOVE the way it sounds, but im also affraid to drive ti too much b/c the damn cops HATE it, and its illegal as hell :). i was thinkin about just getting the silencer maybe...... i dont want to weld anything into the exhaust system, and a silencer i could always take out for track use or what not...

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
why don't you just look into SP's new boost-actuated exhaust cutout and switch to a 4" downpipe and 3" exhaust?

·
Registered
726 Posts
add a couple resonators...
my mechanics supra makes over 900rwhp... but it's quiet when you just drive around... when you get on it... it yells at you real deep. 3 resonators, 4 inch DP and exhaust.

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
okay my AERO XL has one built in, so add another XL in the middle????

If it'll fit. Im curious as to what resonators are being fit under the car, without making serious clearence issues.

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have a custom 4" all the way out and i love the way mine sounds... it was actually pretty quiet when i first had it now its a little broken in and deff louder then b4 but its sounds awesome... i wouldnt want to quiet it up. Is yours loud or like uncontrollably LOUD?

·
Hardtop Crew
6,357 Posts
i dont see a front mount in your sig... quiet a supra down? people do that.......

·
Engmaineer
2,408 Posts
put a silencer in the exhaust when just cruising around?

When you go out on the weekend with c16 in the tank pull it out.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
Installing a silencer is relatively easy, and cheap for the most part.

Plus, if you ever decide to sell your exhaust, it's alot easier to ship without all the resonators in it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can also cosider wrapping the entire exhaust system with Thermo-Tex exhaust wrap. Did it on my Veilside TI Teardrop exhaust and it did quiet down noticeably. It got rid especially of the booming exhaust drone while cruising. And it does help performance a bit by keeping the heat trapped inside the exhaust AND keeping the cabin cooler.

·
Wheel Whore
2,313 Posts
In the same boat. 4 inch from turbo all the way back. So just to clarify, resonators are sections of exhaust that you put in place of sections of exhaust you cut off?

And silencers are the 2-bolt narrow tube that fits in the muffler. Can people peost pictures of resonators?

What will effect performace? My neighbors and police hate the noise of my car. It makes it less enjoyable to drive with neighbors filing complaints and such. I almost want to buy the SP 4" boost activated cutout and just fabricate a way to re-use a stock muffler.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts