Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that a built auto with a TC will do very well on a standstill 1/4 but how well does it do on a roll on? I'm worried about the fact that the auto doesnt drop into a lower gear when u gun it. Everytime someone tries to take me while i'm in 2nd or 3rd, they always jump in front for a few secs. I'm curious if the built auto with the TC would actually downshift or what.
Thanks for the imput guys.

B

·
0 Posts
s14roller said:
i know that a built auto with a TC will do very well on a standstill 1/4 but how well does it do on a roll on? I'm worried about the fact that the auto doesnt drop into a lower gear when u gun it. Everytime someone tries to take me while i'm in 2nd or 3rd, they always jump in front for a few secs. I'm curious if the built auto with the TC would actually downshift or what.
Thanks for the imput guys.

Well you must have a problem with your kick down switch. A high stall will be very good from either. From a roll, lock that converter up once you are in drive. And if someone tries taking you from a roll, 2nd gear will be your best bet. Brake boost and they will never jump you. In fact, you will jump them hard. You need to troubleshoot why your car isn't kicking down. My car jumps down gears if I mash on it.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm using the factory auto still. I was wondering if a built auto would solve it. Will the built auto drop gears hard and quick?
Off the line i can still hold my own =) Its just the while i'm cruising in 2nd or 3rd and people wanna take me do i have problems.

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
if your not in boost then that would explain your problem.. if you get a converter with a higher than stock stall, I believe your car will get up and go alot quicker.. ask people who have higher stall converters in their cars.. jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
if your car just does'nt down shift then you many have a tranny problem, kick down switch problem like stated above..

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the car does downshift but this is after i slam on the pedal and then it takes a bit to build boost. This is why the other people get ahead of me for about 3 secs. A high TC would help me take them even from something like a 35 mph roll? Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
238 Posts
roller,
My auto also takes some pushing to downshift... and I only have 20k on the tranny. I don't think you have a tranny problem. I've read over the years, others with the same prob. yes, it's frustrating, but with the factory set up you have 2 options: 1) you can punch it, and manually downshift (you gotta know what speeds are within limits for each gear), or 2) just mash the gas and tease your opposition for those 3 seconds until you fly by!!!

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
do a search and ask some of the guys that have converters, i 'm gonna say even from a roll with a converter when you punch it, it will jump to the stall speed and take off much quicker than it would with a stock converter;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts