Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I have finally collected all the parts necessary for my powerglide conversion onto my 2jzgte. Here is an honest break down of the associated costs-
Transking Sportsman glide-1064.00 shipped
Transking Converter 5000 stall-600.00
Bullish Flexplate flywheel(expensive, but necessary, they were real nice on the phone when I ordered it)-1100.00
Shifter 160.00
1/2 thick sheet of aluminum for making adapter plate. Cheap!(bullish wanted 850 so I decided to make my own. I'll probably be making up about ten of them if anyone is interested)
SFI approved tranny blanket- 85.00
Low profile SFI approved flywheel shield 125.00
Custom driveshaft 200.00
Modified transmount-PRICELESS!! (actually free, just a bit o labor)

Grand Total-3,334.00 Not to bad I must admit...

Some side notes-
Transking- I went with them based on the experiences of others with them. They are located in galveston TX...A friend of mine competes in NHRA Super Pro and went the entire season on his Transking powerglide without a failure(thats over ten races not including test and tunes, so 100's of passes!) He sent it back over the winter for a "freshen up" and it was only 200.00!(lets see you do that with your supra tranny:) He runs 9.40's with a big block chevy, so it can handle the power!

Transking converters-they custom make the converter in house to your specs and desired stall speed.

If you want a different 1st gear ratio on your powerglide, you will pay an extra 800-900 dollars(for supra owners you will probably need a 1.96 or better) My 2jzgte is going in a 2700 pound vehicle, thus I can get away with the 1.76 first gear.

Flywheel- I got the flywheel for Bullish, it is a direct bolt on and allows you to simply bolt on a GM type converter. It was pricey(1100) but the service was great. They also sell a 1/2 thick aluminum adapter plate but it was 850.00 so I will be making my own, I'll probably make up a few extras at about half that price if anyone is interested.

I'll let you know how it performs once I hit the track! It is going in the truck which you can see on the SDS fuel injection web site(cut and paste address below to see) It previously ran an 11.3 @ 123mph with the 4 cylinder, with 2jzgte power, stand alone, t72 turbo and a glide I am shooting for high 8's...should be a hell of a ride!

Dave Gysland
Super T Motorsports

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
That's a damn good price on all of that stuff - you should think about putting together a "package" for us!!

The price on that 'glide is unreal! just over $1000...wow...I just read about a full race powerglide from Hughes Performance (in Drag Racing Magazine) built to handle 2000hp and 1600 ft lbs of torque and it cost $3800 for tranny!

Keep us posted,
Jay

·
Registered
790 Posts
That is a good deal:) Powerglides are cheap though, you don't need those crazy expensive glides (Bullish wanted $9k or something for one they had). I got mine with SFI approved bell and case and roller bearing output for around $2k, and that was also custom built, and setup to my needs (streetability, and ability to hold 1000 RWHP in a 3600 lbs car).

Some of you guys who are seriously interested in the glides should call the guy who did mine. ALL the serious racers in my area use his trannies, and rarely (if ever) have any issues. He could tell you all the ins and outs, and probably help you out in understanding the different aspects of a powerglide and pros/cons.

He is EXTREMELY knowledgable. If anyone is interested I will post his number... We are having adapter plates made right now, and are selling them for $450 (copied my bullish, but I would definately still order the flywheel from them). You WILL have to beat the shit out of your trans tunnel and firewall for all of this to fit though.:)

-Ethan

-Ethan

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i got the custom flywheel from bullish about a week ago that allows me to use a Powerglide and GM style torque converter. Looks very nicely machined(too bad no one ever sees it!) My only complaint is that for 1100 it didn't come with any mounting hardware. The OEM flywheel bolts don't work(not long enough)And as we all know, you just cant go get these large metric hardened type bolts at the hardware store) Also, where the torque converter bolts on it is about 3/4 inch thick and will need longer bolts then ARP flywheel bolts normally used with a GM flexplate(which is about 1/8 inch thick) Now all I have left too do is start fabricating up the adapter plate(1/2 thick aluminum). Should be a worthy project...I'll keep you posted:)

Dave
Super T Motorsports

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Dont bother copying the Bullish adapter plate. We had to make so many changes to it to get it to fit right you would be better off starting from scratch!!

Lar

SP

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'll be making it up as I go as I do not have any template to begin with. Im expecting alot of pain and grief, but it'll make me a better man(don't tell that to my wife, she won't believe it!)

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts