Supra Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
makipsee said:
nope i havnt test fited anything yet but when the time come ill make it fit... 12.9 is awsome...well the turbo its self is good for around 600-650 so my goal is for somewhere around there... and sadly i havnt owned one before... my dream is 2 own a mk4
Thanks, that time was with a stock CT-26 so I'm sure you can imagine the potential, people with upgraded turbos have run low 12's with so so traction. I had purchased DRs and a linelock to get the most out of the current setup before going to an upgraded CT. Unfortunately, I wrecked the car last fall racing on the highway. It was pretty bad but I didn't damage any expensive stuff besides the tires. I'm working on swapping everything over to another shell right now. The new car will be much lighter as it's a stripped L-type (no flares) hardtop.

Anyway back to your car.... If you want to keep a streetable rear suspension (and you do believe me, a fast MK2 is an awesome sleeper) then you'll be limited tire wise unless you do some serious body mods like mini tubbing. With the right offset wheel a 315 shouldn't be a problem. Because of the lightweight and rear suspension design flaws I really think you'd be hard pressed to make addition gains with a wider tire. If the car is lowered at all (ie lots of neg camber in back) even a 275 is about as good as a 255. I don't mean to discourage you at all, I'm not one to climb up on the "it can't be done" soapbox. I just hate to see you waste time and money for no real gains. If you run 275/40R17 DRs you'll have more traction than probably almost any street driven MK2 EVER, no kidding. I bought 235/50R15 DRs and I think those will be adequate at the strip. I don't like the tall sidewall for street use or aggresive cornering. Cosmetically wide tires are awesome, no doubt but if you just want the best traction per dollar ratio then the 275 DRs would probably be the best bet.

What final drive gearing are you planning for use with the 6 spd? Don't MK4s have like 3.2x gears? You can get 3.42s out of a PU. It's been done, as well as 3.58s. The stock 4.30 gears in your '85(?) will suck big time with your power level. They're meant to get the most out of 160hp NA not 600+ turbocharged. Another thing is you're going to blow up the factory LSD within the first couple test drives LOL! Plan on an upgrade there too.

I hear you on the MK4, I've driven a friends but they cost too much for now. Someday.....

· medford turbo addict
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
well the car isnt lowered yet but if i do i would make brackets 2 keep the camber with in reason if not right at stock setting, im thinking about running a ford 9" independent rear.. gears im going with 3.13's same as the mk4, i dont want a tire just for track i want it for good handling around turns also b/c if i wanted a track car i would be running a stright axle...

your better then me all i have been able 2 do is just ride in a mk4 :(

· HIGH ON PSI
1,311 Posts
makipsee said:
well the car isnt lowered yet but if i do i would make brackets 2 keep the camber with in reason if not right at stock setting, im thinking about running a ford 9" independent rear.. gears im going with 3.13's same as the mk4, i dont want a tire just for track i want it for good handling around turns also b/c if i wanted a track car i would be running a stright axle...

your better then me all i have been able 2 do is just ride in a mk4 :(

any updates kenz? post some more pics!

· Registered
36 Posts
Hey man, are you going to the MK2 meet in SE Pennsylvania this weekend? Dunno if it was posted up here on SF.com but check this thread:
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=20430
We'll probably have about 30 MK2s there, quite a few 7M cars, at least one 1J car and other interesting stuff. Lots of people coming from NJ, you could cruise up with others. Hope to see you there.

Joseph

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.