Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
takes a long time. Settled on 8k cluster since it will handle large files (blu-ray) but also some large photoshop files (tiffs...nothing over 3gb) and smaller tiffs ~600mb.

Hello ST31000333AS (came with the good firmware/is unaffected by past problems).

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the infamous Seagate 1.5TB?

I picked this up from Dell for $90.08 shipped...figured I'd get one while the price was good, they'll probably be down a lot in the summer but I needed the extra space soon. It's been formatting for about 30min now and is only at 20%.

·
Bored User
336 Posts
8k? 3 150GB Raptors in Raid0 using Intel's Matrix Raid here with a 120GB slice and a 300GB for the remaining. I've gone with 64k stripe. Tested with HDTach earlier today and had a sustained 235MB/sec throughput.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Explain pros/cons of sizing plz
from http://smallvoid.com/article/cluster-hard-disk-partition.html

A small cluster size (4 KByte) is good when the partition will contain lots of small files, as it will minimize "slack".
A large cluster size (16-32 KByte) is good when the partition will contain large files (Fileserver, video-editing, etc.), as it will lower the possibility of file fragmentation, and also makes the File Table (Maps files to what clusters they uses) smaller.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
the infamous Seagate 1.5TB?

I picked this up from Dell for $90.08 shipped...figured I'd get one while the price was good, they'll probably be down a lot in the summer but I needed the extra space soon. It's been formatting for about 30min now and is only at 20%.
Sure are.. really need to figure it out and flash them

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8mb zones= Max 133.7 Average 98.2
16mb zones= Max 134.1 Average 97.2

this is on an IC7+2.4c (@3.3) set up...SATA I

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,890 Posts
My 1.5 TB seagate did not have one problem since install. I read a lot of people did but I didn't seem to.

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Why not quick format?
Quick format doesn't find all the sectors that are bad, thus allowing an OS to write to them and causing data integrity issues.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
I remember my 500's taking forever and a fucking day to format. I cant imagine 1tb.

How much space you losing on a format? I think my 500's both went down to 460GB off the top of my head.

·
Bored User
336 Posts
It's because there's 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte, 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte, etc. So, 1TB = 1 trillion bytes, but through all of the conversion (blame binary, doh!) you lose appx. 8-9% of what you think you're getting. Example - my 1TB drives are 931GB.

I remember my 500's taking forever and a fucking day to format. I cant imagine 1tb.

How much space you losing on a format? I think my 500's both went down to 460GB off the top of my head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts